• Ask
  • myTake

Why do girls get upset when men whistle at them?

Men only whistel at the girls who have made a lot of effort to look attractive--maybe too much efffort, in terms of showing a lot of skin, often...so... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• Some girls love that kind of attention and some don't.its actually no big deal, it depends on the girls point of view about it.some take it as a compliment and some take it as an insult.

What Girls Said 25

• It is harassment.its disrespectful.i'm not a dog so don't whistle at me. You have to realize that not every woman cares about getting your attention.if you think I look good, that's nice but keep it to yourself and let me go on about my day minus the harassment

• harassment would be if we threw them a bone and asked them to fetch!

• Because it is rude

• I don't get upset, I just ignore it. When I'm in a bad mood I just think: I'm not a dog, so no need to whistle.When I'm in a normal mood, I can't be arsed.When I'm in a good mood, I could feel flattered, depends who whistles.

• Well, we know you don't come or fetch...

• Apparently not all of you do...

• Because it's degrading. We're not dogs, there are more human, repectful way you can show your appreciation for how a person looks.

• Lol, ouch

• But only high frequency sounds like whistling can carry a long enough distance so he girl can hear us. Like dogs, girls are more attuned to high freqencies, you know.

• I wear no makeup, wear sweats, my hair up in a bun, shades...and I still get whistled at, this kissing sound they make, they honk at me, stare me down etc... it's really disgusting how some men are... whistling at me is degrading, I am not a dog... I prefer a man to say " good morning beautiful, you look really nice today" I will give a little smile and say thanks and go on my way...the thing is we women get this everyday and from men old enough to be our fathers, from creeps, from idiots etc...show appreciation by just telling her or yelling at her from afar or giving the OK sign with your and ...tell her she looks beautiful and say hi...it's will be more appreciated that wayif you are creepy or much older than the girl it's creepy creepythere are some cases where women like it : like teenage girls like teenage boys to whistle at them

• Its f***ing rude and annoying. If I want your attention I would come and get it. The last thing I am thinking of doing while walking on the street is getting in your car. I'm on a f***ing mission, I don't need you bugging me.This doesn't happen when I look good. It just happens every time I walk on the street. Its just lame. For example yesterday I was walking to my friends house at like 7 am in the morning...tired and hung over and this f***tard guy was like beep beep beeeep! Hey beautiful nees a ride. Mind you that its like negative 20 degrees outside and I am wearing this black on black winter jacket and sweats showing no skin at all. So I just think these dudes do this sh*t for fun. .

• I have to be in the mood for that kind of attention. If I am not it just pisses me off, but more often than not I am in the mood. It is not personal for me anyway that guys do those things.

• The effort is usually meant to impress a certain guy -- or certain type of guy -- and so when unwanted attention is given, the girl bristles at the awkwardness of the moment.

• This makes the most sense.

• Thanks. It happened to me one morning. I stepped out the door and there it was -- pure reaction. Trouble is that I'd dressed up to meet someone mid-day. I knew I looked nice, though perhaps not whistle-worthy, esp from a stranger. I was a little surprised and uncomfortable walking to the end of the block...

• I get whistled at in a jacket and long pants, not the slightest bit revealing. It's just embarassing to us really, its not classy nor is it proper.

• GEnerally women modestly dressed won't get whistled at uless they know the guys...

• haha I don't think so. I dress modestly in general and get attention that's embarassing. Maybe its my hair or something I don't know haha

• Um, I go out in my sweats, a ponytail and no makeup. I still get honks, whistles, etc. All that crosses my mind is "Are they even LOOKING at me or do they just see what could pass as a female figure and slam their palm on the horn." Same with work, I go in makeup-free and the regular customers comment, "You look pretty today." and I SAY "Thank you." but I'm THINKING "Is that sarcasm? Do they think they're lifting my self esteem? I look awful." I don't take it to heart. I know I'm not ugly, but the way some men would play it off...I'm above average. Don't confuse this to mean I don't like the way I look or find myself to be passably attractive, well groomed, healthy, and synmetrical, but I definitely think people exxagerate when whistling, complimenting, and winking at me.

• if I know you and you whistle at me then it fine ! but if I don't know you and you whistle its very rude and you will probably get hit with my bag on your head ! its very disrespectful

• Prommises, promises

• An under the breathe whistle of sorts from my boyfriend when I've just finished getting ready for a night out is okay, I can accept that and take it as a compliment.However coming from random men on the street, it has always been a high-pitched noise followed by finger snapping or derogatory comments, so yes I find myself feeling as though I am being treated like a dog, and it's not fun. I don't get mad with them, but I still find it degrading and appreciate it when someone takes the time to compliment me properly, ie not in a way they would call their dog.

• No, we say, 'here boy..'

• Well, traditionally, men have whistled at call girls, hookers, strippers, bartenders, and the like, always to signal that the man likes what he sees and wants something from the girl. You whistle as if to say, "I want more of that," but the f***ing truth is that you have no right to me.It drives me insane. I'll be wearing a perfectly modest outfit, and I'll be walking down the street to go to the library or run an errand. I'll have all these guys stopping to whistle, yell, or honk their horns, and frankly, it pisses me off. I know that I'm not ugly, and I certainly appreciate a compliment, but I'm not a piece of meat. It's not like you guys are doing it to boost a girl's self-esteem or anything; you're not trying to say, "Wow, you're beautiful, and I really hope that you respect and love your body." You're objectifying us, and we don't like that. I mean, I've had fully grown men honking and whistling at me since I was about 12, when I first "developed." That's just wrong. How would you feel if that was your 12-year-old daughter, and all of these older men were lusting after her and looking at her like she was a hooker? It gives girls a distorted sense of her own worth and teaches her that as far as men see, she's just the sum of shiny parts.So, sorry about my rant, but if you want to let a woman know that she's attractive, tell her. Be a man, and approach her and treat her like the beautiful woman she is.

• "Wow, you're beautiful, and I really hope that you respect and love your body"That's what your gay best friend say. Not the guy who'll successfully get you to lay on your back

• I've had this to happen while wearing sweats and a tshirt. And what I hate the most is when a group of guys do it. It's just annoying and sometimes creepy.

• When guys whistle they mean it as a compliment right? I take it as a compliment at least. I dress in jeans and a hoodie, so I don't really get whistled at. But I see no point in getting mad about it

• To put it simply when I hear a guy whistling at me or ogling me up and down all I can think about is how much that guy wants to f**k me. A very small part of me likes that attention, however when I think about that guy just using me to please his d*ck I feel gross. I'm mostly a romantic and all that hollering is not sexy and it definitely does not get me off. Like these girls have been saying: objectification dude. That's why.

• Sometimes it's creepy and immature. Some girsl feel like they are being objectified. I personally like it esoecially when I haven't tried to look pretty and people think I am. But it's still kind of creepy.xD

• Idk about anyone else but I like being whistled at. At least it shows someone other than myself appreciates that I make an effort to take care of myself inside and out.I don't think it's a big deal. And I'm a little bit insecure so when I went to the beach and hada guy whistle at me it made me feel a lot better about myself haha. Maybe I'm just weird.

• Uhm, well because the women who do like this kind of attention are the ones you should be whistling at because I have had this happen to me many many times and sometimes its flattering like if I am out doing something and I am dressed up but when I am in my jeans and not trying to look like someone who should be whistled at it just tells me to put the guy on the list of never to go on a date with. If you find me attractive.. walk up to me. Ask my name, introduce yourself and if your sweet I will give you my number... if you whistle at me and walk up and ask for my number before you even ask my name or give you your name I will tell you to screw off. I want to be respected as a woman, not called to like you would a dog. Whistle at me, and this puppy with bite :)

• Well, how tight are those jeans?

• Hahah.. well.. they are tight only because of my body shape. I have a really hour glass body shape.

• well that's kind of cheap appreciation which no gal ever wants...its kind of vulgar!..sorry fr the word but its how we feel!

• Well, honestly some girls like it, others don't. Just don't assume they'll always respond positively to you doing it. A lot of girls will think you're treating them as if their dogs. Like they're really supposed to respond to you right after whistling to them. If you really feel the need to show your appreciation for their appearance, you're better off just saying it (that doesn't mean shout it at her either lol)

• I think it is both rude,disrespectful and immature and to be brutally honest,I would never talk to any guys who whistle at me and neither would I take them seriously.Also,I dress modestly so I don't think it is to do with showing skin in my case.Haha.An attractive guy is an attractive guy.He doesn't need to do anything at all to get my attention and I would still be so attracted to him. :)

• No one who dresses modestly is ever going to get whistled at, so don't worry!

• Who says?I dress modestly and also got whistled at.So nothing in this world is absolute.

• Probably because you wink at the guys..or because they know you.

• It's very disrespectful! It's like, okay I'm not a dog. I'm not a piece of meat. I'm not an object! If you want tell me I look good, tell me in English. I don't want all that bird whistling crap.

• I fyou were a dog, we'd say 'Here, boy.' We know the difference.

• it's just annoying sometimes. it makes me feel like I'm a piece of meat. if you think I'm attractive, smile at me, or talk to me.don't whistle at me and undress me with your eyes.don't get me wrong, it's flattering, but don't be a pig about it.

What Guys Said 4

• women hate harrassment

• What happens if a guy drives up and leers at them from his Porsche?

• cause they are not dogs!lol, just kidding...i think is just arrogance. I mean over here in America is all the governments fault for enforcing so much nonsense on society; to them whistling at women is sexual harassment and women themselves actually play along and believe that. another reason is probably self esteem. maybe they don't know how to act when you whistle at them, so they get frustrated and get tons of tension from that

• Of course not! A dog would come when you gesture.

• The reason women get upset by unwanted sexual attention is because those guys are getting it for free. Think about it. Since the day they turn 13, women are bombarded by attention. Heaps and heaps of attention by men of all ages simply for access to what they’ve got between their legs: a vagina. Let’s not forget that time equals money. Attention from a man is a monetary gift.When a guy starts angling to get off with a girl for free, it infuriates her because it lowers her price. If one guy gets it without paying, maybe the next guy will do the same.

• Yes, it's getting to the point where they charge just for looking, right!

• A reason I see a lot is that they are dressing how they want to dress and don't like receiving 'THAT' kind of attention for it. makes them feel like a piece of meat

• And they dress as if they were a piece of meat! Those are the ones who get whistled at.