Why do people ask questions they already know the answer to?

So I have been on this site for a good while now, and I am really fed up with lots of questions on here.

There are lots of good questions here with many perspectives. However: So many people come here asking questions when they have already made their mind up. Others already know the answer and ask anyways!

In the end, when someone answers with a solid, honest answer, people get all butthurt and throw a tantrum, when they came to a public forum looking for answers.

Seriously, what gives? Is there any hope for humanity?

Ok, one of you asked for examples so here you go:

A girl comes and asks for opinions on gun control and then proceeds to shoot down every answer on there and tells them that they are dumb and wrong. She clearly didn't come to learn or get opinions. She just wanted to fight and start problems. Why would she do that?

Or when someone knows that their relationship is going down the drain but still comes here asking what to do and getting mad when people tell them that it's pointless to go on.

Most Helpful Guy

• I got an "Offensive Posts" warning tonight and the only thing "offensive" I've done on this site is be honest. Are people here that butthurt over the truth? Am I supposed to sugar coat answers and tell people what they want to hear? When I screwed up as a kid I got my ass kicked and learned a lesson. I didn't have my hand held and get a trophy like the entitled youth of today does.

• Thank you! Another person with common sense. The truth can be painful. What exactly was so offensive?

• LOL @ down vote

• Careful, they might get offended... Haha

What Girls Said 21

• You already know this one!

• He does.

• I really don't. I appreciate all answers. Even yours. :)

If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

• First of all its human nature for people to do this.. but this usually is a characteristic of people like me which is CONFUSION and COMPULSION and the tendency to validate your own opinion.

If you're going to throw a party and you want to know if you should play beer pong you would not ask your grandma the answer to that question... lol would you? You'd ask a friend... so people ask other people hoping to get the answer they want to hear.. so they get validated and do what they need to do.

Most people on here don't have the courage to do certan things which is okay that's human nature to have some fear or anxiety.. like calling a girl for the first time.. they know they're gonna call the girl but FIRST they need validation that way if it messes up they have people to fall back on and they can say "at least I tried" and they got all the positive validations I think its just a validation process... lol

people want to know that what they're doing is the RIGHT decision.. even though they wanna do and they're going to they just need to know its the right one.. and when someone says its a bad idea they won't listen instead theyll go and talk to someone else and get validation to do what they know they are gonna do and want to do lol

its confusing but like I said.. confusing and compulsive and scared people do this beause it helps them make a move

• On the first example I have to agree with you, that's silly and kind of pathetic.

On the second one though I don't think it's so black and white. When people are in relationships and they feel it going down hill there natural instinct is to reject that idea. So they are looking for someone to tell them that it's going to be OK even though deep down they know it isn't.

• For the relationship questions:

some people are slow.. Some people are smart.. Some people have an idea of what is going on but are clinging onto hope that someone will tell them that their instincts are wrong because the truth is too devastating to them.. Also some people have already annoyed all of their friends by talking non stop about their S/O so they come here and make stuff up just so they can talk about them (unless they really are that dumb)

For the people who pre-judge to much and aren't open minded:

Honestly sucks to be them... They end up being less intelligent, worldly, have less interesting friends, probably effects work opportunities they could have had, and their life is close minded, most people don't become successful by being close minded and not taking chances.. In the end they will likely be a hypocritical and at times self contradicting person who has nothing better to do than to sit alone in a rocking chair talking to them self of a deaf person... Or a paid nurse who's paid to be around them not by choice..

• I've found that most times the reason someone asks a question he/she already knows the answer to is to hear another person's point of view.

The person may want to hear your POV to verify what he/she was already thinking

Possibly the person genuinely really wants to hear your opinion (maybe he/she is not expecting what you are going to say because he/she had it his/her mind that you were definitely going to say this and wanted to verify)

Hearing another person agree with me makes me feel like I am right, even if I'm really wrong.

hope I helped.

More from Girls
16

What Guys Said 4

• People are insecure as a default, having other people's input just gives a sense of security in what they are doing. Even tho thy may already know the answer it still feels good to have other people behind you telling you what's right is right.

• Many people here wanna hear the one answer that they feel is right, even if it isn't.

• can you post some examples?