North Carolina Style Pulled Pork BBQ/ South Carolina Pecan Pie. Tastes Of The South Part One.

North Carolina style pulled pork BBQ/ South Carolina pecan pie. Tastes of the South part one.

This is one of my favorite dinner dishes of all time! Since the new topic here has been launched on GAG, I have decided for the next couple of weeks to attempt to do a recipe mytake series of Southern dishes. Today I'm going to start with the most popular food of my state of North Carolina which is Pulled Pork BBQ. Then I will finish off with a South Carolina favorite of Pecan Pie. So sit back,sip on a glass of sweet tea and prepare to have your taste buds tempted by the art of Carolina culinary cuisine.

North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ and sauce.

1 (5 pound) pork butt roast

2 cups white vinegar

1 cup butter, melted

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon hot sauce

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons white sugar

Add all ingredients to list

Ready In

9h 10m

Trim the fat from the roast; place in slow cooker and cook on Low overnight, at least 8 hours.

To make the sauce, whisk together the vinegar, melted butter, salt, lemon juice, crushed red pepper, hot sauce, black pepper, and sugar in a bowl.

Carefully remove the roast to a cutting board. Pull the meat from the bone with a fork. Return the pork to the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the pulled pork. Simmer for 1 hour more.

Easy Cleanup

Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.

South Carolina Pecan Pie.

1 sheet refrigerated piecrust (half a 15-ounce package)

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 large eggs

2 cups toasted pecan halves

Freshly whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll the piecrust and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the overhang under and crimp the edge with a fork or your fingers. Bake the crust until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack. (Leave the oven on.)

Whisk the corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl, then whisk into the corn syrup mixture.

Finely chop 1/2 cup pecans and spread evenly over the piecrust. Roughly chop another

1/2 cup pecans and mix into the corn syrup mixture, then pour the filling into the crust. Arrange the remaining 1 cup pecans on top in a decorative pattern.

Bake the pie until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a rack. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

This is I believe one of the best food myTakes I ever came up with. I'm excited for this new topic here on GAG and all the new recipe ideas for the future. Next time I will do a recipe from my other home state Tennessee! Thanks to all my fellow food lovers @vishna @Ginnyweasley97 @apple24 @tomboy_cool @questionman @Phoenix98 @AshleyPrincess12 and @EmpatheticLady and other gagers for the support to help me continue to do this. I hope y'all enjoy this!

smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• Both recipes look delicious

• They really are. The NC barbecue has a tangy flavor with the vinegar, spice, and sugar based sauce. That's the way my stepmom and everyone cooks it down here. Some people have smokehouses too, but not very many. Another fun fact about North Carolina bbq is the fact most of the time the whole hog is used. It is also very common for many communities here in NC to have "pig pickin's" which is just our slang term for bbq dinner fundraisers. It's actually better served on hamburger buns with cole slaw for sandwiches or on the plate with slaw and. baked beans

• I never had a North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ!

• As a North Carolinian, I've definitely had the pulled pork. Delicious😛

• These look tasty, I like how much vinegar goes into Carolina bbq, even if I don't eat it. It smells SO good.

I've always wanted to try fresh, homemade pecan pie!

• Cool man. I was thinking about writing a brief take about The South in general based on your questions the other day.

• Do it for sure! I want to read that and hopefully put to rest all the negative stereotypes about the South

• Pecan pie looks soo good it's my 2nd favorite pie! 😛😛😛

• Definitely some classic Southern foods there! I think you'll get mouths watering and stomachs rumbling.

What Guys Said 3

• Ooo very nice I'll have to try and make some of these !

• Both look beautiful - I glanced too quickly at post and for a second thought the pecan and pulled pork was in same recipe - Didn't that happen in Friends when Joey got a shepherds pie and a trifle recipe mixed up.

• All food from the south is evil.

By which I mean super delicious and unhealthy.