My 10 All-Time Favorite All-American Meals

Lets get real here, we all love food. Food is such a basic need that I figure anyone who says they don't like eating is lying. So in honor of the upcoming Fourth of July here are four of my favorite meals from American Cuisine.

10: Chili

Ah, a good steaming bowl of Chili. You mix Spices, Beef, Chili peppers, Tomatoes, and Beans and some water (The first chili recipe known is from 1850 and while it did not include beans. It was only a little while after that they got added around the time of the civil war or a little after. So Beans have been included in Chili for well over a hundred years, so yeah, they can be officially included.) and you let it simmer and you get this marvelous spicy and delicious stew. A true classic of Southwestern and Tex-Mex Cuisine.

9: Breakfast Burrito

If you are notice a pattern with these first two recipes I'm just going to put this out there. My parents were stationed in San Antonio, then my dad got stationed in New Mexico after my mom got out. They really loved the food and took note of the recipes.

Now I love a good breakfast burrito. eggs, chorizo, potatoes then add salsa and roll it up. They are just so so good though if you don't like spicy food these aren't going to be your thing.

8. BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich

I love BBQ and Pulled Pork is just a great meal. My family has a smoker so we go to the butcher and buy a pork butt on occasion, we use a dry rub, smoke it till its ready to be pulled apart and then we put it on the sandwich with some BBQ sauce. Its to die for.

7. BBQ Ribs

Another classic BBQ food. I love these things. I can easily eat 12 of them in a sitting. They are truly American.

6. Jambalaya

I love Jambalaya it is actually one of my favorite foods. I like mine to be have just the right amount of spiciness. The best Jambalaya I ever made was just spicy enough but it didn't sacrifice flavor for heat and that is much harder to do than it sounds.

5. Gumbo

This is another dish from Louisiana that is one of my favorite foods. There really isn't much better than a steaming hot bowl of gumbo in the brutally cold winters we get up here.

4. Bison Burger

I don't know there is just something about a good bison burger that makes it even better than a regular hamburger. A bonus for this is the fact that they are generally healthier as well.

3. Apple Pie

Apple Pie is my favorite dessert. A good warm apple pie is just so incredibly good.

2. Soft Serve Ice Cream

On a hot summer day a good soft serve ice cream is just amazing. It was also invented right in New York.

1. The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

This is one of my own personal comfort foods. If I have had a really long and stressful day when I get home I usually make myself two of them and eat then just decompress. They are quick, easy, and taste good.

#AmericaFuckYeah

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 17

• I'm hungry now 😓 I've heard pumpkin pie is an Amercian speciality during thanks giving. I like it! I LIKE IT A lot ☺️

*wipes drool off my phone*

• 12h

Only 4, 3, and 1 are appealing :(

• 12h

BBQ isn't appealing?
      Chili Isn't appealing

• 12h

I hate bbq stuff, especially the sauce and the flavouring ><
      Chili looks okay...

• Making me hungry 😝

• Yep. Big on fat. Big on animal protein. Big on sweets. That's the standard American diet. No wonder why so many Americans are fat.

• That has been the diet for many decades, obesity started much recently and it has more to do with HFCS and sedentary lifestyle than fat.

• Grilled cheese for the win!!!

• Oh, I'd love to try Jambalaya.

• I'm hungry now.

• 1d

Out of the list I'd also go wit the grilled cheese sandwich! Hell yeah.

• o hell yea chilli the shit that makes u fart like the @ihav2fart doode

• Chicken pot pie is really good. I know it's not on many people's radar, but it's very comforting. I'm not the biggest fan of American food, but I honestly could eat my weight in it.

img.buzzfeed.com/.../...ced-24407-1456436779-2.jpg

• Is it part of America culture to just rip off other cuisines and call them your own?

• Chili was invented in texas
      Gumbo and Jambalaya in louisiana
      The burger was invented by a german immigrant to the U. S to the U. S
      Soft Serve ice Cream was intvented in new york
      The breakfast burrito is a specific variant from new mexico
      And BBQ was invented in the south
      So do tell me how we are ripping others off

• They are actually Cajun but again, invented in louisiana
      Also its not like the Isle of Man had poutine way before you did and called it something different
      Oh wait

• Considering that the US is the melting pot of cultures it makes sense

• I like how nostalgic and culturally accurate it is. Another good my take.

• I only eat about 4 of those things and rarely at that.

• I'm like 90% vegetarian.. too much meat in most of these.

• Too much meat! I love meat but thats too much. I dont like all that was mentioned, I LOVE grilled cheese sandwhiches, apple pie (mmmm yummy!), Bison Burger looks delectable :-D, and BBQ ribs... oh man, I've gone and myself hungry -_- damn your post!

• Nice 👍🏽

• mmmmm
    my list of fav American meals
    Chili
    Grits
    Grilled cheese and tomato soup
    Ice cream and cake (a birthday staple)
    Collard greens and dressing (something about the collard juice getting on the dressing, yum! and that little bit of egg in the dressing <3 )
    Honorable Mention:
    tater tot casserole, one of the most American things ever

What Guys Said 17

• It's all very nostalgic and culturally accurate... but stepping back and looking at it objectively, it really is a big pile of crap. I mean, I know some of it can be excellent (especially apple pie) but we're talking about the lowest of the low when it comes to food quality in this country, aren't we? If a grilled cheese sandwich is #1 on any food list, it's just... kind of a joke.

At least the gumbo and jumbalaya has some vegetables, though.

• It wasn't supposed to be in any order
      Hey at least we aren't briitsh

• Frogs are not a real ingredient

• Uh... actually, they very much are. It's a real thing from nature, whether you like them or not. :)

We're the only idiots who eat absurd amounts of processed ingredients and chemicals that no human should ever touch.

• mmmm mouth is salivating... jambalaya is one of my absolute faves. the mix of spices with the sausage, chicken and shrimp is just crazy good

learned how to make it a few years ago... so happy i did

• And only 3 of those are actually American soft served ice cream, grilled cheese, and apple pie though.

• Those bbq ribs and pulled pork sandwich look delicious.

The Jambalaya looks really similar to the Paella we have in Spain. I haven't had Jambalaya, but Paella is one of my favorite dishes, so I'm pretty sure the Jambalaya is pretty delicious too.

• I have to ask do they celebrate July fourth in spain seeing as how you guys were involved on our side?

• Well you can celebrate it now

• And I do! I love the 4th of July, I know it doesn't have the same meaning to me as it does to you, but I still love the US.

• 1d

Way to betray your region bruh

• 1d

I have to say, I'm an American First and a New Englander Second.
      I'm also not being here for long.
      I'm going to be moving to Washington State in a few years.
      Most of my dads family lives there

• 1d

I guess you have your reasons

• 1d

Plus if I was going to settle down anywhere in new england it'd be Maine

• From Ohio and haven't ever had a Buckeye as food in my life.

• Look delicious but how quickly would I get fat?

• Well, I like The Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Soft Serve Ice Cream, and vegetarian versions of Chilli and Burrito.

• I'm getting that map... and I'm gonna start trying out the food from east to west.

• i eat all of those commonly especially gumbo my boyfriend makes it every Friday

• None of those are healthy.

Give me whole wheat pasta, salmon, and broccoli with a glass of water and a multivitamin.

• Did you try Kebab?

• Yes, I LOVE KEBABS, we have access to pretty much every style of food here
      But I tried to include foods that really either were invented here or codified here.
      Afghan food can be very good

• I'm not Afghan..

• When I emigrated here first I couldn't get over the food and every state it different culturally with different foods. Got to watch it though put on so much weight first few months was hard to loose. Portion control was key.

• Don't forget hot dogs. 🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭
    They're good when topped with #10, onions and mustard.

• RIBSSSSS
    BURGERRRR
    ICE CREAMMMM
    PIEEEEEE
    AMMMEERRRRRRICCCCAAAAA

• hush puppies
    pizza
    fried chicken
    fried oreos
    hotdogs
    steak

how do you forget those?

• I have never fried oreos

• It's still not American, it's borrowed. Just because you make your own variations of it, it doesn't make it American. Unless you name it something else completely.

• @lumos cool! It's still something a ton of Americans eat and made a huge variation on. And Italian vs American pizza is not even remotely similar. And yes, I lived in Italy. More specifically, Sorrento. Across from Naples, which is the birthplace of pizza. To me, it's like calling general tso chicken Chinese food (I forget if it's this fish or another, but iirc, it's American)

• Hate to burst your bubble buddy, but only American food is pb&j and maybe meatloaf, i can't remember, now if your talking about American favorite then yeah it fits but, truth be told only thing the US came up with is the pb&j and maybe meatloaf and waffle, i can't remember where those came from only other place to have the pb&j is australia, even then its rare, ask for it anywhere else, they won't have heard of it or dont have it, sucks really. As for hot dogs, those came from frankfurt germany, used to be called frankfurters, hamburgers came from hamgburg germany, french fries as far as i recall the UK as chips, which chips there are crisps, jambalaya if i remember right Jamaica, gumbo, several African and carrabean countries, burrito, mexico although im not sure if they put eggs and bacon and ham in theirs at any point so that may be an American twist on a mexican dish, as for the chili and others not sure where those originated, not starting a fight just a heads up, i was devestated when i learned that. Oh german chocolate cake is American, although why they call it german is beyond me. There might be a few others im forgetting that may be American but for the most part we dont have much to call our own. Which can make sense since America has been and still is a cultural melting pot of many different nations, even the first americans were English, scottish, french, german and others. So technically we can say all those dishes are American lol now i think of it, by the way sorry, was caught up in my thoughts while typing and too lazy to delete them, too tired too

• "m hamgburg germany, french fries as far as i recall the UK as chips, which chips there are crisps, jambalaya if i remember right Jamaica, gumbo, "
      en.wikipedia.org/.../History_of_the_hamburger
      The hamburger was invented by a german immigrant to the U. S in the U. S
      Gumbo and Jambalaya are both creole inventions by the french who immigrated to louisiana from Canada,
      The breakfast burrito is a specific burrito invented in new mexico
      So no, you actually are wrong

• Good job, seeing if you knew your stuff, pulling your leg, except for the hamburger part, i probably am wrong about that, memory is sketchy on it, as for the jambalaya and Gumbo i lied about, as for the breakfast burrito i have no clue where that came from, now that you mention its from new mexico it does ring a bell, i think i heard that when i was a kid but have forgotten