My 10 All-Time Favorite Home-Cooked Meals

10. Rice Porridge

This is part of my Top 10 list of favorite home-cooked meals, but it is at the bottom of the list, because it is so bland! To make bland rice porridge taste better, add vegetables and meat from last night's dinner. If you have a sweet tooth, you may add strawberries or blueberries, and it will taste just like oatmeal in Western culture.

9. Jiaozi Dumplings

These hotties are like mini meals in a steamer! If you know someone who doesn't like to eat vegetables very much, you can use the food processor to chop them very finely and stuff them in the mixing bowl. Blend the vegetables with meat in a 3:1 vegetable-to-meat ratio. When you serve the dumplings, don't say what's in it. Chances are, you can get that person to eat his/her vegetables.

Alternatively, you can use an all-vegetable filling, but no one will know if you cover the filling with the flour wrapping and dip the dumpling in soy sauce with chopped garlic.

Because they are so large, a few of these hotties can be very filling!

8. Huntun Dumplings

While jiaozi is usually steamed (but it can be boiled), huntun is usually boiled. The filling is the same as jiaozi. These are usually smaller than jiaozi, and the skin is thinner, making them a wonderful addition to soups.

7. Potstickers

Potstickers are essentially jiaozi or huntun (usually jiaozi) prepared in a special way. Basically, the oil and water at the bottom of the pan or wok separate, because oil is non-polar while water is polar. The water is heated, and the heat cooks the insides of the dumplings. Then, the oil is left to fry the bottom of the jiaozi, giving it the characteristic texture.

The crunchiness of the skin is more flavorful than regular jiaozi. Hence the higher placement in my Top 10 list.

6. Hot, Dry Noodles

These hot-dry noodles are native to Wuhan, China. Main ingredients are long noodles and various condiments.

5. Scallion Pancakes

These are essentially flatbread with scallions in them. The scallions add flavor and a nice, pretty appearance in the otherwise golden brown texture.

4. Watermelon Rind Slices

This simple dish consists of sliced watermelon rind and whatever condiments you have available. If you have bought a watermelon and scooped out all the pink, fleshy part, then you may be left with a thick light green rind. Some watermelons may come with a thin rind layer, which just means you cannot safely process it to make Watermelon Rind Slices. In contrast, with a thick rind, you can use a knife or skin peeler to remove the outer green layer, and the knife to remove any pink parts you see. Then, you cut the rind into slices and stir-fry the slices in the pan. Ta-da! A new dish! Now, you can serve it with a bowl of rice to make a complete meal!

I mark this as a 4, because I consider it a work-intensive and time-intensive recipe.

3. Steamed Eggs

This delicate, savory dish of steamed eggs requires a specific ratio of eggs and water. Add too much water, and the eggs won't coagulate. Add too little water, and the eggs will be too thick and not shaky like Jell-O. Cooking time must be a specific length. If the cooking time is too short, then the eggs have not coagulated yet. If the cooking time is too long, then the eggs will be overcooked, ruining the appearance.

Because a lot of work and time go into the preparation and the cooking, I rate this a 3 in my Top 10.

2. White Radish Soup

White radish soup is a soup made from white radishes. You can eat it with a bowl of rice and other vegetables/meats, or you can eat it by itself. This is a big time-consumer, so you may want to cook this thing overnight in the Crockpot or slow-cooker. During cooking, you can smell the aroma being lifted into the air.

1. Mung Bean Soup

Like the white radish soup, mung bean soup is also a big time-consumer. My mom used to say it is "清热解毒", which means, according to Yabla Chinese, "alleviating fever" or "clearing internal heat" and "detoxification". Under the modern scientific method, there seems to be empirical support that suggests that the antioxidants in mung bean soup seem to provide resistance to heat stress.

The bean soup, as you would expect, tastes bland. You may put sugar, but I wouldn't do that if I were you. Too much sugar actually isn't good for your health. Just accept the natural taste and chewiness of the beans.

There you have it. That is my Top 10 list of favorite home-cooked meals. They are all part of traditional, mainstream Chinese cuisine. I can't say whether they are going to be healthy, but at least they taste good and show people outside of Asian countries a rough idea of what Asians eat.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• Well, I sense some obvious Asian influence there. :P

I love potstickers myself and watermelon rind slices are on my list of summer things that need to be tried...

• my top 5:

1. Schwäbischer Sauerbraten (= Swabian Sauerbraten)
    Its beef wich gets marinated for 3 days in a sour marinade then get roasted and cooked in a sour sauce made of the jus of the beef and partly of the marinade and a lot of onions and other herbs and spices. Its not a easy or fast dish but it tastes superior

2. Spaghetti al Puttanesca
    Spaghetti with a spicy tomato sauce includes anchovies, onion, capers, olives, garlic and other spices... (funfact: al puttanesca means in italian something like "ala whore" )

3. My own pizza
    with olives, hot tomato sauce, tomato slices, onion, anchovies, capers, artichoke and salami

4. Saure Kutteln mit Bratkartoffeln (= sour chitterlings with german fried potatos )
    as simple as it sounds... chitterlins roasted then made a sauce with onion flour stock and some vingear served with fried potato slices

5. breaded sole fried

• I love Chinese food, very good Take :D

• Here smells Chinese ^_^ And I love the meals; great take!

• Delish. Need to learn Chinese cooking :) Mean to but never get around to it. But love your Take.

What Girls Said 12

• I enjoyed this myTake because I have eaten most of the items here in your list, you know being Filipino and all.

(a) I eat plain rice porridge as well as the chocolate rice porridge we call as "Champorado." The chocolate variant is not bland at all! I encourage you to try it :) You would need authentic cocoa beans (real bitter) so you might like to add milk and sugar to sweeten the taste.
    (b) I love love love dumplings! <3
    (c) The mung bean soup is called "sabaw ng monggo" here in PH and I admit I hate the taste so much.

• (a) I am limiting my intake on sucrose, because sucrose breaks down into glucose and fructose, and fructose in high quantities can be toxic to the liver.
      (b) Me too.
      (c) I love unflavored mung bean soup. It has a chewy, bland taste. Yet, its own bean flavor is so subtle.

• Looks so good! Unfortunately, most of those I can't have. :( Gluten or eggs.

• Sounds good. Are you Asian? :)

• Chinese. "Asian" is an extremely broad term to describe people of Asia. Additionally, British people think of Indians when they think of "Asians", probably because of the British-Indian relationship in colonial times. And Americans think of East Asians, when they think of "Asians". Linguistically, "Asian" can include a person from Israel or a person from the Philippines.

• My favourite is poached egg and kale on toast. Simple, tasty and healthy.

dishingupthedirt. com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/poachedegg. jpg

• It all looks delicious

• U must be Asian!

• You are a girl after my own heart. Love it all. I was actually just thinking about the Mung bean soup. My grandmother use to make it for me all the time. We would sugar and ice cubes in jt. Yummy for the summer

• Mung bean soup tastes good without the added sugar. You should not eat more than 20g of sugar per day. Make sure all your sugar intake comes from fruits and vegetables.

• Yaaaaas. I love that this list is full of delicious things. I bet your average mayonnaise/potato salad/boiled chicken breast person has no idea what these things are.

I don't like congee very much, but that's jusy because of the texture. Everything else I love. My agun is a gooooooooooood cook.

• Delicious chinese food!

• Yum!!! I adore all of these--except for the watermelon rind slices. Have never tried those. My sweet pet bunny always gets my watermelon rinds, but maybe next time I will try this. Rice porridge with coconut flavored almond milk and some cinnamon on top is my favorite breakfast. Thanks for this MyTake!

• Can I have dinner at your house? :D

• Most of these look gross.

• I think the "ick" factor is subjective. I personally find eating cockroaches gross, but apparently some people do eat them.

• Oh, I found one 😂😂😂