How American Chinese Foodstuffs Are Different From Chinese Foodstuffs

1. Deep-Fried Foods

Deep frying is not part of traditional Chinese cooking. Traditional Chinese cooking consists of mostly steaming, stir-frying, and boiling. In modern times, however, there is youtiao (deep-fried breadsticks) in China.

2. Meaty Dishes

Meat is sparing in traditional Chinese cuisine, as meat is traditionally considered a sign of wealth and thus reserved for Chinese New Year. As a result, many Chinese dishes are heavily plant-based.

3. Sushi

Sushi is Japanese food.

4. Salads or Raw Vegetables

Eating raw vegetables is not done traditionally. Vegetables are usually stir-fried, boiled, or steamed.

5. Dairy Products

Most people of the world have some degree of lactose intolerance. The Chinese is included. Milk or dry milk may be purchased for babies, in addition to receiving breastmilk from their human mothers. But the consumption of milk decreases as they age. Cheese and yogurt are also not part of the traditional Chinese diet. However, I think the consumption of dairy products by the Chinese is increasing due to Western ideas about nutrition and the global fast food chains.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 8

• I'm pretty sure fortune cookies are also not traditionally Chinese.

• Nice. Americans need to stop thinking something like General Tso's chicken is even remotely similar to real Chinese fare.

If it's "Americanized," it's guaranteed to be worse for you, sadly. Most Americans wouldn't even eat real Chinese food because it's not loaded with meat and fat and it isn't deep-fried.

• That's not a all true we have a few actual authentic Chinese restaurants around here and people love eating at them, all the dishes are traditionally made. They're some of the most popular places around here.

• @Phoenix98 Depends on where you are, really. Lower-end areas eat a big pile of fried crap and call it Chinese food.

• Fair point.

• All of these are true except 2# as I've eaten in traditional Chinese restaurant not a chain or anything but just a small one owned by some Chinese immigrants and they used meat in quite a few dishes.

• Consider the time frame. If you live in Communist China a generation ago, then you'd find that meat would be severely rationed. For all the rationed meat that a family can receive, it may be saved up for Chinese New Year. Now, they don't need to ration meat, so they can use meat more liberally.

• Except this isn't china a generation ago, and I am also referring to recipes that go back to ancient china as well not just modern china.

• good take but your missing some facts such as other ingredients put into chinees foods and these cheap ingredients are now being used all over Asia in traditional cuisine much like what happened in Mexico and other countries. The french have a ban on American food chains for this reason and in France you can still buy genuine healthy western foods without American bastardisation such a real bread, cheese, milk etc

• IDC if they're authentic, General Tsao's Chicken and Beef Teriyaki are delicious 😊

• The hall mark of Chinese cuisine is based on their master chefs and Chinese master chefs can be really really flexible when they came into contact with western cuisine. Oh, they will still stick to their traditional secrets but they are more than willing to learn and make western foods their own way.

There was a chef in a Chinese restaurant, who told me he could make anything. I was feeling a little hungry so I asked for a donut and a grill cheese sandwich. I watched him did both of those using the wok. The donut was Chinese style but it was donut with sugar and everything.

• Don't forget the fact that some original Chinese dishes are made of dog and cat meat :P

• Good take, but I'm sorry - 1, 2 and 4 is just not true.

It may be somewhat true for some of the more common and well known styles of Chinese cuisine - like Cantonese and Shanghainese, but you can't make blanket statements like that for all of "Chinese" cuisine.

• Here's a couple of example of Chinese deep frying awesomeness:

Deep fried milk
      s.yimg.com/.../milk_186qbpt-186qbsv.jpg

whitebait
      www.epinosh.com/.../Photo-4-3-13-10-22-33-AM.jpg

octopus
      mymegusta.files.wordpress.com/.../...icy-fried.jpg

etc... etc...

• Rural life is still quite traditional. It's the urban Chinese that has been separated from their families in the great urbanization that are most separated from ancient family traditions.

• i wanna eat those now !

What Girls Said 9

• I really like Americanized Chinese food!

• I love this mytake. =)
    Very informative.

• i've heard from people living in china that fried foods are plentiful and extremely popular there

• I knew that.

• There is Chinese version of Sushi called Shòusī: media.timeout.com/.../image.jpg

• Authentic Chinese food is like 1000x better than that American buffet CRAP. It makes me so angry when boiled unseasoned chicken breast people think that it's the authentic kind and then make ignorant statements like "how is everyone in China not fat? All your food is deep fried and covered in a sweet sauce!" No, you dipshit. That's American food made to appeal to an American market.

• Actually, Chinese people are getting fat too. With urban Chinese having money in their pockets and businesses gaining more power, many Chinese people are becoming fat too. There is also no government-controlled meat rationing. So, which is better? Having the freedom to eat whatever you want, or allowing the government to ration an important part of the human diet (meat)?

• I think that's a global trend, truth be known. Especially with globalization and increasing industrialization. I don't know what's best, truly, and I would never presume to know.

• Ah this is really interesting. I already knew some of these because we learned a little bit about Chinese cuisine in cooking school, but I had no idea about the raw vegetables and dairy products not really being eaten.

Also: do Chinese restauraunts serve sushi in the US? That's crazy. They don't do that here.

• Yeah but here they'll serve you chips with your peking duck if you REALLY want it 😂

• LOL, yes thats true actually! Most of them do burgers!

• I love Chinese food and American food. I only wish to eat more traditional dishes. My friend made this yummy cooked cucumber and mushroom dish, I don't know if it was traditional, but it was so good.

• I think what happens is that many Chinese families don't necessarily operate on written recipes. They just take whatever raw vegetables that they have in the refrigerator, stir-fry them, and hope the dish tastes well. If it does, then that dish will be lodged inside the memory.

• I already knew that Chinese American food is different. Some Chinese places in America serve cheesecake and tiramisu. Obviously the Chinese culture in America is not going to be the same as in China