Why I'm Strongly Against Veganism: I'm Tired of the Lectures, For One Thing

Let me start off by saying everybody has their beliefs and I accept you want to live by them. That's fine. This MyTake is not about me ranting- it's about me explaining my opinion.

I know many vegetarians and vegans, all of whom have explained me why they live the way they do. One thinks it's sad for the animals, another says the vegan diet is good for you, and so forth. All are invalid reasons in my opinion.

Yes, it's sad for the animals but instead of eating only plants, why not be vegetarian or consume less or biological meat? The animals have already been slaughtered, so I see no point in stopping to eat meat instead of improving the slaughtering conditions and eating less meat. Humans are omnivores after all, and just like our ancestor the primate we need some meat in our system. Why else would we have those canines?

The vegan diet has proved to lead to a decrease of heart disease, but in many cases to malnourishment as well. I read an article the other day about parents raising their child vegan, it was almost a year old and weighed what a three month old should've weighed.

That's sad, and abuse. This isn't the first case, it's one of many. People raising their children vegan, forcing their beliefs on them, or even feeding their dogs and cats an all vegan diet!! Most vegans don't even think about the needs of a human or other animal, and switch straight to veganism without doing proper research or consulting a dietist. (Which I think is a great way of finding good info when you want to have a major eating switch) These people are just guessing the vegan diet is healthy and like it because it doesn't harm the animals..

I've even heard of women not wanting to breastfeed their child but feeding it soy milk instead, even though a baby clearly, especially in the first months, needs the fats in breastmilk to grow.

Even adults have to deal with veganism being stuffed down their throat. Many meat eaters get lectured by vegans, even though they remain a healthy lifestyle.

Because of the ignorance people have towards veganism, many lack proper nutrition. People don't research it, force their beliefs on others, including children and animals, therefore abusing them. So that's why I don't like vegans.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 23

• Yeah, this is what happens when anything gets trendy, you know? Millions jump on board without really knowing enough about it.

I say if you want to be vegetarian or vegan, go right ahead. My father has been a vegetarian for years and he has the blood pressure and cholesterol of a relatively well-conditioned 40-year-old (and he turns 66 this year). I understand the benefits and yes, you certainly can eat a solid meatless diet provided you know what you're doing.

On the flip side, saying I'm ruining the planet or I'm an animal-hater because I eat meat is beyond absurd, and I don't even dignify such accusations with a response. :)

• Thank you!

I went to Warped yesterday and the vegans were there. They were actually cool with me being a vegitarian who got my milk and eggs from responsibly raised animals. I think most of them are upset over how horrible some animals are treated in order for us to have food, when there is clearly a much more humane way to do it.

• Yeah slavery is bad for humans, but instead of being an abolitionists, why not just one slave instead of many, and only beat them occasionally instead of every day? Why strive to be ethical, when you can be "mostly" ethical?

When is the ridiculous canines argument going to stop? Canines do not automatically = need to eat meat. We do not need MEAT, we need NUTRIENTS that happen to be found in meat, but ALSO can be found in other sources.
    https://i.imgur.com/rDrDwDP.jpg

Cats can't be vegan, but dogs can. Bramble, a 27 year old dog is vegan.

Vegan diet is perfectly healthy for people of all stages of life. The few cases you hear about are retards who feed their kids soy milk and salds, or just not enough food. But let's conveniently ignore the 100s-1000s of kids that get hospitalized from malnutrition or obesity that aren't even vegan right? WOmen who feed their kids soy milk instead of breast milk are also idiots.
    http://i.imgur.com/yaax0u3.jpg

Vegans are forcing their views on others? Yeah, because non vegans totally don't do that.
    https://i.imgur.com/6aBYide.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/OPZyVbC.jpg

• by the way, I thought all the same things you did before. After watching this, very few people can look at animals the same again.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3j0LyysECA

• So your uncle knew for a fact that it was the diet that did that? Because dogs can get those problems without a vegan diet.
      And where the dogs eating a well formulated dog food, or where they just eating strictly vegetables?

Explain the 27 year old vegan dog. And other old vegan dogs doing just dine. And other vets tha say it's ok.
      www.care2.com/.../...n-dog-lives-to-189-years.html
      http://thebark.com/content/vegan-dogs
      www.vetstreet.com/.../to-feed-or-not-to-feed-meat-one-vets-take-on-vegetarian-dog-diets

• There's alao vets that don't say it's okay, as well as dog experts. Just because a handful of people says it's okay doesn't make it okay, since most of the fucking others tell you it's not okay.

• so it doesn't really sound like you are against veganism as opposed to be being against being made to feel guilty by vegans

• I'm against veganism because I don't understand how not eating eggs or dairy would help an animal.

• well it potentially means one less animal dies.

• "I know many vegetarians and vegans, all of whom have explained me why they live the way they do. One thinks it's sad for the animals, another says the vegan diet is good for you, and so forth. All are invalid reasons in my opinion."
    Given that we now KNOW that birds and mammals suffer like we do it is no less valid than arguing against cannibalism because it makes people suffer.

"The animals have already been slaughtered, so I see no point in stopping to eat meat instead of improving the slaughtering conditions and eating less meat."
    Because by buying the meat you create a demand for it.

"Humans are omnivores after all, and just like our ancestor the primate we need some meat in our system. Why else would we have those canines?"
    Good question, why don't you ask this guy
    aveganinprogress.files.wordpress.com/.../...wn.jpg

"but in many cases to malnourishment as well. I read an article the other day about parents raising their child vegan, it was almost a year old and weighed what a three month old should've weighed."
    Yeah because meat eating children never get malnourished, right.

"That's sad, and abuse. This isn't the first case, it's one of many. People raising their children vegan, forcing their beliefs on them, or even feeding their dogs and cats an all vegan diet!!"
    What happens in the meat industry is nothing short of abuse and you wanna talk about forcing your beliefs on others? How about you forcing your belief that satisfying your taste buds can justify taking the life of a sentient creature on the animal. You want people to stop forcing their beliefs on others, start by not forcing yours on the animals.

"Most vegans don't even think about the needs of a human or other animal, and switch straight to veganism without doing proper research or consulting a dietist."
    Source?

"I've even heard of women not wanting to breastfeed their child but feeding it soy milk instead, even though a baby clearly, especially in the first months, needs the fats in breastmilk to grow."
    Where have you heard this?

"Even adults have to deal with veganism being stuffed down their throat. Many meat eaters get lectured by vegans, even though they remain a healthy lifestyle."
    No one is stuffing anything down your throat but your dietary habits drive a knife into an animals throat and slash it. That's like saying anti rape advocates force their beliefs into a rapists' genitals. It's a false equivalence when an action has a victim.

• The breastmilk story was from my own village, a woman didn't want to feed her child ANY milk produced by an animal or herself, she fed the child soy milk.

My source is the vegan people I've met, the craze that's been going around lately. There are proper vegans that know their shit, I'm aware, but they're scarse. I've yet to meet one other than online.

• Do you have any idea the absurd amount of bugs gorilla's eat on a daily basis? The vegan argument about gorilla's is just silly. Plus we don't have the digestive system they do to be able to absorb what they can. We achieve the same through cooked foods. Our digestive system is very different from most other mammals.

• @Octavius Some gorillas eat bugs others don't BUT they consume no where near the quantity of meat that we do.

• yes i agree with this although i respect the choices of vegans and vegetarians unless they will harm others like their pets and babies like you described. i wish we could live in a world where we could live together on a voluntary basis. where nobody had to force nothing onto others.

• agreed. and speaking of the peta and animal rights, i'll like to show these statistics of animals who are NOT killed for fun: Homeless animals outnumber homeless people 5 to 1. Each year, approximately 2.7 million dogs and cats are killed every year because shelters are too full and there aren't enough adoptive homes. Act as a publicist for your local shelter so pets can find homes.
    notice how these these are just the ones in shelters before they end up in shelters-Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
    combine those numbers to the 200 million animals killed by hunters for sport, and you have two hundred six million six hundred thousand
    animals that are killed and tortured for fun or for crowd control.

• I disagree with you. I don't know if the vegan diet is perfect, but it is usually much more healthy than the average western diet. That's not even close in my opinion 😐

Humans and the other primates do not really need meat in order to survive. Maybe some chimps do, but that's not because they need nutrition for the meat. Chimps have mostly been seen eating meat when fruit and vegetables aren't around or the dry season. It's really not their preference from what I understand.

Our canines really aren't for killing animals with. Have you ever seen or heard of a person in any context killing an animal or even using them to intimidate? We barely have canines. Gorillas are much bigger and they don't use them to hunt with.
    zinedinevegane.files.wordpress.com/.../canines.jpg

Hippos don't eat meat either yet
    freefromharm.org/.../...erbivore-Canine-Teeth1.jpg

No one really knows for sure what the healthiest diet is. There are lots of vegans than think it's the healthiest diet and there is some evidence to support that possibility.

They may think their diet is the healthiest option for their children which is their decision just like what you would choose to feed your kids.

• Let's start with the fact that I am a vegetarian and have been for 25 years. I am a martial artists, a long distance runner, and a yoga practitioner. I have ran upto 30 miles, I am 6'0" and weigh in at roughly 210 lbs From my last physical I have average blood pressure, a runners resting heart rate, good blood work, in short I am healthy.

I am not preachy about my vegetarianism, nor do I really care about your diet. I do believe that vegetarian is more healthy then a carnivorous diet, and I do believe that the force stocking of cattle is not good for the environment. But I have done my research, and I do know what I am speaking about. Humans do fine on a strict vegetarian diet, and can do well on a pure vegan diet.

• Vegetarians are not as much of my concern as vegans. Veganism has to be supplemented, often with medicine with I think isn't exactly going back to a human's nature. You can support your diet with eggs snd milk, vegans don't.

• The only nutrient that vegans can not get are complex B vitamins and a good non meat source is beer.

• I don't care about anyone's dietary habits. People can eat or not eat whatever they want. But nobody likes preachy, self-righteous asshats, regardless of what they're preachy and self-righteous about.

• Sweetheart, let them be vegan.

More meat for us!

Seriously. Less demand for meat makes meat much cheaper. Don't tell them that veganism actually makes them retarded because of a lack of essential nutrients required by the brain.

Think of it as the last form of Darwinist natural selection.

• Vegans be like "You're WRONG. We never lecture people."
    "You are harming the environment, and you advocate animal cruelty!"
    "You are so insensitive and selfish!"
    "We are EDUCATED, that's why we try to educate others."

Literally every single thing they say reeks with irony.

• Save a farm animal. ... eat a vegan

• You nailed it ! I too am tired of the lectures.

• shut up.

• Nice take. I think vegans are just annoying hipsters.

• You don't have to eat a dead animal in order to get protein. I

• It's still the easieat way to gain protein.

• Well that's your opinion and I disagree.

• Who can't afford a tin of beans ffs hahah

• At least vegans are doing well for the environment and the animals. Wow. So ignorant.

• I want that t-shirt!!!

• Screw carrots , i want meat.

• I'll just stay out this discussion, since I'd indulge in cannibalism I doubt I'll find many backers any place I'd go.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 26

• Omg this is so much ignorance in one post.. I actually believe this is the most arrogant and ignorant thing I've read in a while here.

Are you really incapable of seeing how not eating any meet would eventually have a large impact on the meat industry and whether or not and how many animals are slaughtered per year?

" Humans are omnivores after all, and just like our ancestor the primate we need some meat in our system. Why else would we have those canines?"

No, it has already been proven that humans do NOT need meat in their system and they in fact increase their life expectancy by not consuming meat.

You know, instead of bashing vegetarians and vegans for being ethical and empathetic human beings and defending your own obsession with meat, you should have kept this short and just said "I love eating meat because it tastes good" because that is the only legit "justification" there is for humans to eat meat in this day and age.

• I'm not against vegetarians. They still get protein by eating eggs etc.

Only eating biological meat would also have an impact on the meat industry. Fact is just that there'll always be meat eaters for the enjoyment.

Humans need some sort of protein to gain iton and certain vitamins. The easiest (and most accessable) eay of gaining those are eating meat.

Sure, there are other ways but they're harder to access as well as maintain.

• Yeah, I wonder how all the vegetarians are surviving and actually living healthier than meat eaters without any supplements..

• When you aren't vegan you dont realise the extent to which protein is available in plant based food. I easily without fail get 1 gram per pound of body weight in protein, more so when I go to the gym. But people have it in their heads that animals protein is more common and superior? Wonder who put that in their heads!!!

• What stood out the most is when I read they child of 1 year weighed what he/she should've when they were 3 months!!!

People are idiots. And vegans - the 'hardcore' 'I'm going to abuse my child with this too... not just myself' selfish individuals are the proof of that.

Good God.

This mytake was excellent!
    Good job. =)

• Everyone on this planet dislikes something. Yeah, I eat meat but I love animals and it pains me to think about the horrible conditions they are raised in, and the chemicals most animals are fed to increase their output/worth. I still eat meat, though, because I'm selfish and it tastes great. Plus, I tend to skew anemic, so I need protein in vast quantities to sustain my life (iron pills cause a host of other issues, and protein from nut sources, etc, isn't feasible on a daily basis unless I never want to shit again).

Sure, it'd be GREAT if slaughtering was no longer going on. But the sad reality is, the way this world is structured, with economic strata (poverty to wealthy) and the cheapness of readily available groceries and fast food, the only true way to eliminate slaughter and the raping of this world is cataclysmic destruction of the human race, with only small pockets of people left alive to go back to sustenance and communal living.

So bitch away. Doesn't change anything.

• Mmmhmm. I agree completely.

But I'm gonna love the hate answers from malnourished vegans.

media3.giphy.com/media/j5qQY3z7IkiSA/giphy.gif

• Also I had a vegan friend who made her cats vegan. She was super proud because the food wasn't tested on animals (personally one of the few times I approve of animal testing). Anyway. Both were indoor cat and within a couple of months they had kidney failure and she couldn't work out what it was.
      I wonder...

• A few years ago an infant in my city died at around 8 months old because it was malnourished. The parents were held accountable for the death of the baby.

I agree with you and I am not a vegetarian however I do try my best to only purchase meats, eggs, milk, etc from farms that treat animals well.

I love animals and although I did try being vegetarian when I was a teenager, I quickly found the diet was just not for me at all.

Bottom line - we are all animals - although we are an animal with a conscious... when all animals stop eating each other, then I'll stop eating them too.. but right now.. I love my steak lol. And in some countries human aren't exactly at the top of the food chain.

I do think eating LESS meat is healthy.. like red meat should be limited to one to two times per week.. and I do try to have 2 to 3 vegetarian/vegan days per week.

• There are two kinds of veganism: true veganism, which is a lifestyle that has existed for years, and whose practitioners don't go preaching about it, they live by example. And the veganism by trend, the one that appeared few years ago, and the one most people know about due to their practitioners lecturing about it; this one has ruined the meaning of being vegan, due to people being ignorant and just following a trend.

There are many cultures that have been vegan for centuries, and they don't lack nutrition, they even live longer and healthier lives than us. And they have never fo fed others and their animals to do so.

Next time you see a vegan by trend, tell them to stop faking it and to stop being vegans just because everyone else is doing it.

• Same page as you. How I see it is all these plants/fruits/veggies/grains SERVE A PURPOSE and a very big one in regards to the upkeep and function of the human body. Animal products (meat) has very high in iron, DHA and other fats, protein, creatine, B12 the list goes on. Many vegans argue to just take pills and supplements but I argue that if the body NEEDS it and animals provide it, then we were meant to eat them. It's not like nature intended for us to shovel down pills to survive.

And yes, we as a whole need to cut our meat consumption in half if not more. Don
    t get rid of meat all together but just eat way less.

• So because some people take it too far and don't take the time to learn about nutrition, you are against the whole thing even if it is better for both the animals and the planet? Eating meat is not the holy grail, and it's not gonna save you from your shitty diet. Most vegans and vegetarians have actually read up on nutrition and know exactly what to eat to get everything they need.

• I've yet to meet one.

• And by the way you're 18?

• Well this is my opinion, Im not discriminating more than you.

Yes Im 18, but the difference is that you're labeling every vegan and being extremely generalizing based on your personal experiences whereas Im merely saying you're talking about a vocal minority.

• If you are vegan, then that's fine, that's great but DO NOT under any circumstances try to shove your diet down my throat please. I need the extra protein right now to repair a small part of my autonomic nervous system that as been negatively affecting my life for almost a year now and I am also underweight (naturally) so I need the extra protein for that as well. Not everyone can become vegan.

• No one is shoving anything anywhere your conscious makes you see it that way because on some level you understand veganism. I personally have a meat eating diet shoved down my throat every day in the form of bullying, advertising and other media. Do I complain... only a little

• I'm not a vegan but I know you are wrong about one thing - vegan women do breastfeed their children. Vegans are only against drinking milk of other species.

• It's a story I've heard. A local woman refused to feed her child anything but soy milk.

• Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. Most 'vegans' aren't actually basing their diet on a vegan one, instead they're malnourishing thenselves by not eating what they should.

• Exactly, that's the sad truth.

• So firstly are we only dissing vegans or vegetarians too? Also it is very immature of you and prejudice to dislike an entire group of people who are doing nothing physically wrong to you simply because you disagree with heir lifestyle.

• I did not read anything that said this woman dislikes all vegans or vegetarians. It is certainly possible to disagree with a different lifestyle without hating anyone who engages in that other lifestyle.

• I'm not ignorant, I'm opinionated. I actually only eat meat once or twice a week since I don't like most meats, and generally eat well and exercise, so my lifestyle is really fucking healthy. Veganism often goes with anorexia, there's been many cases of it. Vegans don't eat ANY animal products, so they often lack iron and certain vitamins etc. I'm not focing anything I'm sharing my opinion, you comment on it and I comment on that. That is discussion. Forcing it would mean I would keep saying the same thing and not giving you any leeway or understanding.

• Calling people "ignorant" rarely leads to a desirable outcome.

• I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I understand why people do in the U. S. A we have factory farms it's really bad. They put profit and efficiency over animal welfare. I have been tempted to become a vegetarian myself but haven't had the guts.

• I'm allergic to dairy and I happen to hate eggs, honey and meat. I've been vegan for several years before it was popular and before I even knew what it was. I think when people accuse you of animal cruelty it's retarded. We've been eating meat for 40 thousand years just cause you choose not to eat meat doesn't mean others will too. I can't stand the conceitedness of it all. Vegan shampoo really? Fucking really?

• And you my lovely are someone I would be proud to be friends with. I would learn to make a vegan meal for you. No issues with vegans if they aren't absolutely mental :)

• Oh okay. Didn't know that. I wouldn't call it feelings but I suppose it's awareness?

• @Hidden_P they are aware of their envoirment, yes like jelly fish

• I think it's very sad when people try to be vegan, but end up becoming malnourished. It's even more confusing when obviously malnourished vegans harass other's to follow their crash diets.

• And vegans are tired of meat eaters bashing them and calling them extreme if veganism even comes up in conversation. I don't know any vegans OR veggies who go out of their way to lecture meat eaters, they only talk about it when something related to it comes up and the meat eaters recoil in sheer terror and bash them for being crazy. The only reason people are so arrogant about it is because it's easier to deny that anything you're contributing to is wrong and ignore the issue than to accept that it's inhumane to slaughter animals and eat their flesh and other body excretments.

I'm not even going to bother addressing anything else, one I saw the "we come from primates and they eat meat" argument I realised you're just another arrogant person who hasn't even had the decency to do a bit of reasearch before trying to provoke a reaction so that you can again say "vegans are crazy!!"

Have a nice day.

• Don't even try to convince me. I get vegetarians. That makes sense to me. Vegans? No. Not eating eggs or cheese because it's sad for the animal? Fuck off mate, sorry to say but really.

• Haven't spent much time on this site have you?

• Humans actually share all of their physiological traits with herbivorous animals. Intestinal size, jaw movement, and heat regulation method are 3 of many. Most animals of various nutritional requirements have canines including herbivores, in order to be able to lock food into their mouth. It might not surprised you to know that carnivorous animals have elongated, dagger shaped serrated canines, because as are yours? Since you're designed to eat meat? You may notice that is herbivores along with all others in the animal Kingdom can move our jaw side to side to grind food, unlike you meat eaters, such as yourself and lions can only move your jaw up and down, opening your mouth as wide as your face is, bet that helps you catch your prey. How nice for you. Oh wait, you don't catch your prey, you pay for someone to breed it into a half life, and kill it chop it up and pump it full of chemicals and antibiotics so it doesn't make you ill when you eat it COOKED.

Well I think for myself I'm vegan because I don't want to fund someone to make food unnatural to my anatomy and biology, in such a cruel and inhumane way. If you believe there is such a thing as humane slaughter then I guess if someone locked you away in a tiny cage, shot you through the front of the brain (paralyses, doesn't kill) hung you upside down and slit your throat and dismembered you that would be humane.

Or is humane NOT a universal concept in which we treat others how we wish to be treated.

How about YOU keep your extremist (albeit common) opinion to YOURSELF and let others sustain themselves naturally and ethically.

Ps vegans have no problem with human breast milk given that it is intended for humans the way cows milk is intended for calves. You clearly believe anything that meat unjustly tells you (Cause they love money) and take the piss out of vegans (Cause they love life)

• You know what's the difference between humans and animals?

• If you find the fact that a baby died 'cause the parents fed him only plants more humane, I don't know what to say...

• First off veganism is far from shaved down proles throats, meat eating and diary is everyday in every medium by nearly everyone. Vegans and animal activist have to fight against that to get our points across which are not opinions they are facts, cold hard facts. The fact that people become malnourished is because they don't eat enough and could be a little in the dark as to what they can ear what they can cook and what nutrients is in their food, the answer there is to do your research first. The bare fact is being vegan can help solve many problems we have in the world today all it takes is for people to stop fighting for their personal choice which is rubbish because if it were personal you'd ask the animal the animals don't have a choice in the matter therefore it is not personal choice but prole forcing their beliefs on those who are unable to fights your reasons for hating us aren't very nice and are founded on judgement instead of fact. We don't push we share, supermarkets and food corporations push meat and diary that's a fact.

• Veganism is plain stupid. I get you don't want to eat meat, whatever. Don't push it down my throat, I don't tell a person eating a salad 'you know that's really sad for the plants, eat steak instead like I do!!' Either. Vegans are a whole other idiotic lifestyle. Not eating eggs because the animals suffer? What?

• My take owner you really have no idea what you are talking about and you obviously don't care about anyone other than yourself. To the point you find it weird that some people care for others. This is truly sad. And I wonder what kind of life you must have lived to become this way. Of course it's not sad for plants to be eaten, they don't cry or scream, feel pain or sadness... do you actually know what those things are?

• You are generalizing. Me son is a vegetarian... he doesn't force his views on anyone. And... it is no one's business if he is one. You know if someone said this about gays or a minority. People would lose their mind. But you sound just like those bigots.

• Being gay or a different colour isn't something you choose, veganism or vegatarism is.

• That's one of the things i'm trying to convey. That is what vegans whom i've met always do.

• Why do you care? If you don't like these people don't hang around these people.

• Humans aren't herbivores and we never have been. Even if we can be by choice, I choose not to because bacon wrapped doves😛

• She never said we were herbivores... She said we were omnivores...

• @Hidden_P at least I'm not trying to start some argument with a minor online.

• Ah dear. You clearly can't read either.

• "The animals have already been slaughtered, so I see no point in stopping to eat meat"
    So... if there was no demand for meat would people still slaughter animals for meat? lol I consume meat but cmon now lol.

• More from Girls
    6