Why I Hate Coffee

These are reasons on why I absolutely hate coffee.

Why I Hate Coffee

1. Bitterness

Coffee by default is a bitter drink. Its bitterness is the reason why I initially avoided coffee at all cost. Then, I read in one book of The Babysitter's Club Little Sister series that Karen Brewer, the seven-year-old little girl, would put milk and a lot of sugar into her coffee drink, while she was at her mother's workplace. So, that gave me the idea to do that to coffee.

In high school, there was a little school shop near the school entrance. The shop mostly sold school supplies, clothes, and snacks. One day, I went there and bought one of the coffee drinks. It tasted so sweet and creamy. One of my high school teachers always brewed coffee in the morning, so every day in class, I could smell the aroma of coffee.

My coffee consumption was occasional, so I never really developed a coffee addiction like my classmates did. Also, the coffee drinks I purchased had the tendency to be less amount of coffee and more cream and sugar.

Just about a month ago, I watched the documentary called Sugar Coated (2016), and that film just scared the hell out of me. In addition to Fed Up (2014) and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (2011), I am absolutely convinced that sugar is a toxic substance. Since sugar is in so many processed foodstuffs, I decided that I had to cut out all processed foodstuffs and all restaurant foodstuffs from my diet. From the documentaries, I knew a little bit of that toxic residue of food additives and preservatives would be still left in my system, so I had to detoxify myself in some way.

I used to be a busy student, grabbing whatever cafeteria food for lunch. And for breakfast and dinner, I would eat home-made foods and double the size until I felt bloated. Bloating was the only way I saw myself as "full". I didn't stop to think about my eating habits, and I didn't really care that I was overweight. As long as I didn't have to go to the doctor, I was "fine". I was young, and I thought I was invincible. Besides, I knew my body didn't gain or lose weight very easily, but nevertheless, my body weight did creep up . . . very slooowly. Then, I became like that 40-something-year-old man in Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (2011). I felt pity for that man. He started to realize that he should prioritize his health over his work and money, so in his 40s, he went on a veggie juice diet for a month. Unlike him, I am just 25 years old and don't really have the same health problems as he did in that film. You'd think that a young 20-something-year-old would be carefree about health, but I'm not taking any chances. If a person can get better at 40, then a 25-year-old can receive even more benefits from prioritizing health over everything else.

One of the documentaries said that aloe vera could detoxify the liver of its toxins. I knew I could get some aloe vera leaves from the organic grocery store, because I always saw them when I went grocery shopping with my parents. I went to the store. I also decided that at that point, I would only invest my money in vegetables and fruits, but more on the vegetable side, instead of at a fast food restaurant, because I saw those as rich in nutrients and dietary fiber. I bought an aloe vera leaf, took it home, and peeled it like how I saw in the YouTube video. I ate it raw. It was not that bad. I really liked the sliminess. It was a bit bitter, but it was certainly tolerable. Actually, the bitterness in aloe vera was much more tolerable than the bitterness in coffee without any added sugar. I treated the aloe vera as medicine to heal me, and what kind of medicine isn't bitter?

When I avoided processed foodstuffs and sugar, switched to "real food", and ate until I was politely full (not bloated) for about a month, while maintaining a moderately physically active lifestyle, my mother noticed a change in my physique: that I had lost weight. I speculated that the healthier eating habits could not sustain the same amount of calories I was previously eating.

I believe that I have created a lifestyle that I can stick to for the rest of my life, and I'm glad I started in my mid-twenties. The earlier, the better. I'd say that the source of my motivation to get better is from the food documentaries that I watched on Netflix successively. Now, every time I see pretty packaged food on the shelves at the supermarket, I remember a scene or a quote from the documentaries and just shudder at getting non-alcoholic fatty liver disease due to the fructose-overload in the liver. Now, I try my best to restrict my sugar intake. I know there is sugar in fresh vegetables and fruits, but I'll accept those kinds of sugars, because vegetables have indigestible sugars and are loaded with micronutrients, and fruits are watery and typically low on the glycemic load. I am not diabetic, but being conscious about sugar intake doesn't hurt, right?

2. Stupid Coffee Cups

In America, coffee is everywhere. Sometimes, coffee is offered for free as a friendly gesture. I never really liked the coffee cups the coffee came in. A coffee cup usually came with a lid with a tiny hole in it, and I often burned myself through that tiny hole. So, I usually took the lid off, allowed the liquid to cool down, and then drank it. Nowadays, I don't drink coffee anymore, because I am afraid of the high sugar intake, and not adding sugar to the coffee would be unbearably bitter. Just last Sunday, I experimented with having a cup of regular coffee with only milk, no sugar, because I thought I could handle the bitterness. Nope, it was still extremely bitter, but I never liked wasting food, so I eventually downed the cup and vowed that I would never drink coffee again. Unsweetened tea, aloe vera, and various vegetables tend to be on the bitter side, but my palate can tolerate those perfectly. Just not coffee.

3. Expensive

I remember going to the coffee shop in the university library and looking at the prices to different types of coffee drinks. They were quite expensive, which actually discouraged me from buying them regularly. When I did buy coffee, I usually bought the coffee out of the assumption that the advertisement said it tasted like "cinnamon" or "pumpkin". One day, I took a glimpse of the student workers behind the counter. All they did was add sugary flavorings. So, the flavor was completely fake, and I stopped buying the drinks for that reason.

4. Caffeine Addiction

Because I drank coffee rather infrequently in very small amounts, I could easily get off coffee without any problems. I have never consumed much caffeinated products anyway. No sodas, no fruit juices, no energy drinks, because my parents would always say those things were "junk food". I think the prices of the coffee drinks also curbed my appetite for them.

I am just aware of the signs and symptoms of caffeine addiction, because I once took a collegiate pharmacology course and I know some of my classmates once had caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• Reasons why I love coffee.

1. It's strong and bitter.

2. Black coffee is one of the 1# sources of Antioxidants and black coffee is in fact rich with antioxidants, which help you fight sickness, disease and help strengthen the body.

3. Coffee helps protect you from type 2 diabetes, liver disease, lowers the risk for Parkinson's it'll also protect you from Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia.

4. Coffee actually reduces the chance for several different types of cancer of to 50% for some for around 3 cups a day.

5. Caffeine blocks an inhibitory neurotransmitter called Adenosine. When that happens, the amount of other neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and dopamine actually increases, leading to enhanced firing of neurons. Many controlled trials in humans show that coffee improves various aspects of brain function. This includes memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times and general cognitive function.

6. There are essential nutrients in coffee such as
    Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 11% of the RDA.
    Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5): 6% of the RDA.
    Manganese and Potassium: 3% of the RDA.
    Magnesium and Niacin (B3): 2% of the RDA.

7. Caffeine can drastically improve physical performance

Caffeine stimulates the nervous system, causing it to send signals to the fat cells to break down body fat/

But caffeine also increases Epinephrine (Adrenaline) levels in the blood.

This is the “fight or flight” hormone, designed to make our bodies ready for intense physical exertion.

Caffeine makes the fat cells break down body fat, releasing them into the blood as free fatty acids and making them available as fuel.

Given these effects, it is not surprising to see that caffeine can improve physical performance by 11-12%, on average.

8. Coffee is actually a fat burner and can help you burn fat when drank black.

9. Coffee does not cause heart disease and will actually lower your chances of having a stroke when you drink it, if you drink it black and not the sugary mess you get at Starbucks.

10. Coffee will actually help you live longer and can lower your risk of death up to almost 30% reduced chance.

All proven health benefits and good reasons to love/like coffee.

But I'm sure you already knew all this when you wrote your anti-coffee post ^^

Also coffee is only expensive if you get it at a coffee shop if you drank actual real straight coffee it's actually really inexpensive. And the kind you get from the coffee shop isn't the kind you should drink anyway.

Well, I wouldn't quite buy into the whole "sugar is toxic" bullshit. As a toxicologist, I often find it amusing how stupid people can be, and how often they are influenced by marketing schemes and false information. Consumers such as yourself think that sugar is toxic. Yet, sugar - particularly glucose - is the primary molecule that all life on earth uses to produce energy.

If sugar was actually toxic, you'd be dead because there's nothing else your body can metabolize to keep you alive.

This gimmick falls in the same category as "energy drinks", energy bars and gluten-free diets. Yes some people have Celiac disease and legitimately cannot digest gluten. I have met 2 such people in my almost 40 years of life. The rest are just lemmings led by marketers who are out to steal your hard earned money. It makes no sense for some people to avoid sugar because they think it's toxic, then resort to a diet of "healthy" energy bars and energy drinks.

I don't consume any energy bars or energy drinks. Those are processed foods. You can't go wrong with eating fruits and vegetables. Yes, they contain sugar. But at least they are in tolerable doses, because they are mostly water and a buttload of fiber.

• I thought you were gonna talk about the slave labor.

• I only drink black and I can barely taste it it's the problems sleeping if you take it in the evening i don't like.
    Anyone feel like mine next?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2063618-is-there-any-environment-where-it-s-easyer-for-guys-to-find-someone

• I think you just haven't had a taste of good coffee.

Come to Australia sometime. Skip Sydney and head down to Melbourne. Any coffee from any shop here is head and shoulders better than any coffee in the States.

• I love the taste of coffee but I prefer to drink instant coffee from a jar at home. I find those coffee shops are full of pretentious idiots and they are so expensive. One cup of coffee can cost as much as a jar of instant coffee that can allow you to make twenty plus cups of coffee.

• I think certain people can get addicted to anything I drank two extra large coffees every morning at one job and never at another. Almost everything has sugar, it does suck a lot of your money if you get starbucks errday.

• Yes caffeine is addictive and sugar is as bad as those documentaries stated, your body is better off without it. The liver takes a toll, your energy levels drop over time too so one is better off with a healthy diet and without sugars. Seen this in myself and the more I avoid sugar, the more energy I have.

• Yeah it's pretty bitter and disgusting, also it stains your teeth.

• I like bitter stuff...

• Good expensive coffee isn't actually that bitter, it tastes almost chocolatey, it's the cheap blends you get from starbucks, costa etc that require sweetener syrup to be added. Jamaican blue mountain is glorious.

• Why I hate you ^^^

What Girls Said 15

• I'm going to have to learn to drink coffee because I'm one of those people that is tired in the morning, hyper the rest of the day, but needs a boost every now and then

• oh man :o
    i LOVE coffee i have like 2-3 cups a day and i don't buy coffee at outlets i have my own pure coffee tin at home here for me... and yea i drink coffee in a ordinary mug
    good take tho

• Downvote.

urgh... i couldn't go any more than 1 day without my 1 cup of coffee a day, i'm just not awake entriely at all... i don't drink it in the mornings though like a lot of peopl do because it makes me feel sick but i drink it ether after my main meal or an hour 2 before it. I forgot to drink my coffee yesterday and i just waxn't myself at all... i wasn't awake whatsover just dopey.

• I normally love coffee but there was a time I wouldn't touch it. It tasted nasty. Now I drink iced or those Starbucks drinks in the glass bottles. Ill only drink hot coffee if Im exhausted and trying to wake up.

• I absolutely love coffee lol I drink it black every morning with my breakfast. I love the smell, taste and the aroma of coffee. When I smell coffee I come alive. Can't help it!

• Don't you talk about my baby like that!

• I prefer chocolate milk or strawberry milk it's sweet

• I used to hate the bitterness when I was younger so I would only ever have a latte macchiato or cappuccino for breakfast but I acquired the taste for it I suppose, now the only coffee I really like is Americano :D

• When I was in high school I worked in the mall next to a coffee shop. It smelled soooooo good I thought I have to drink some. It tasted sooooo horrible! But I forced myself to keep drinking it because of the smell. Now I drink it everyday, and I actually drink it black - the only woman I know who does.
    But it is bitter and very much an acquired taste! I think it's worth it but until you do acquire that taste? Ugh tar is better! Fun myTake!

• Bitterness is not a problem, just add some sugar ;)

• As I mentioned in the article, I believe that sugar is toxic to the liver.

• They are all the same to the body. Excess amount of sugar is excessive.

• Excessive amount of sugar is toxic.

• My only reason for hating coffee is because it tastes like shit in a cup. I don't need more reason than that to dislike it.

• People enjoy coffee because of its taste. the bitterness is part of it.
    You must also dislike alss sorts of real teas as they are bitter... And let's be frank, most hot beverages are handed out in those cups you can't handle... 😏
    Fruit juice, in no way is junk food. High quality fruit juice which is made directly from fruits is very healthy and full of vitamins. Your parents opinion doesn't matter... I mean if someone decided to call the color black, white no one would sax black is from now on called white because one person decided it!

• Actually, I drank real teas before. Their bitterness is substantially more tolerable than coffee's bitterness. It's the level of bitterness.

Fruit juice is junk food, because it is loaded with excessive amounts of sugar, and much too absorbable. Getting real juice from a real fruit is the way to go. A tomato is botanically a fruit; it's also very watery, so sucking it is like drinking juice. Afterwards, you can eat the flesh.

• I like coffee, I enjoy the taste and most of the time I make coffee and put it in my reusable tumbler. There are places where you can buy organic coffee. I put stevia in my coffee and do away with the extra sugars. I actually enjoy my coffee black with stevia. I actually like that bitter taste. It sends my taste buds on a ride. At times I'll put a splash of creamer-but not very much. I don't drink it all the time, but when I do, I enjoy it. I think you can get addicted to any caffeinated substance. I see people addicted to soda all the time. I agree with the wasteful coffee cups and lids, but we live in a very wasteful society-might as well do away with plastic everything. Also, coffee has some health benefits. It can help protect against type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. There has been some studies on cutting the risk Parkinson's disease. There are some antioxidants in there as well. It's all those added sugars that make it a problem.

• Many healthy people are not exposed to a particular food, because of region. And they are doing fine. Not eating a particular food is not a problem. Besides, there is nothing wrong with a regular helping of aloe vera leaf every now and then.

• I quickly googled Stevia on the Internet. It's an artificial sweetener, because most Stevia products are highly refined from the Stevia plant. I don't trust processed food and sugar that much, and I would suggest to anyone to limit all sugar and sugar-like additive substances. I believe that sugar is a toxic substance that causes cardiovascular disease, metabolic disease, cancer, obesity. If Stevia matches the chemical composition of fructose or behaves in the same fashion, then that will place undue burden on the liver. If Stevia matches the behavior of glucose, then that will place undue burden on the pancreas. I'd rather stick to fruits as the natural source for sweeteners. People should eat oranges with their unsweetened coffee, not sweetened coffee with donuts.

• I agree with artificial sweetners being horrible for you. Although I haven't done too much homework on the subject but all I know is that i'd rather have that than refined sugars-stevia and not the other sweeteners. I'm not much of a sugar consumer and try to eat healthier. It's day by day though :)

• What fruit juice has caffeine?

• Fruit juice doesn't. It's still junk food.