15 Foods/Drinks That Americans Adopted From Other Cultures, And Took Credit For It

There are certain foods and drinks, that have been passed as American in most people's minds, including those from other countries. But are they American?

(In alphabetical order)

1) Apple Pie (British)

Apple pie, a signature American food. To the point there is a phrase called as American as apple pie. Which means typical American. But is true? No it isn't. Apple Pie was invented in England. The first recorded recipe was written in 14th century in England.

2) Bacon (British)

The American-favorite breakfast, is actually not American. The first people who started to produce Bacon as we know it, were British. Then Americans took bacon, and made their own pattern. In most countries, they believe that bacon is American, but actually it's not. British were those who introduced it to Americans first.

3) Beer (German)

Americans consume a lot of beer, and there are American beer brands indeed. But beer American? Nein! First of all beer is one of the most ancient drinks, being existed for thousands of years. Obviously way before America was discovered. But the modern beer as we know it, it started being produced in Germany around 14th century, and it's Germany's national drink.

4) Burgers (German)

Burgers are one of the most Americanized things indeed. But are they American? Answer is, no. Even the name itself, sounds German. They are originated from Hamburg. The reason they have passed as an American thing, because of McDonald's (the famous American fast-food chain), which don't resemble original burgers at all.

5) Crisps (British)

Or chips in American English. But since they are British, let's call them crisps. Crisps were an English patent, written by an English cook in 19th century. Such recipes were written just a few years later in America as well, but that was in 1824. British came two years earlier, so they take the credit here.

6) Donuts (Dutch)

Donuts were introduced to Americans, by Dutch people during the 18th-19th century. They are based on a traditional Belgian/Dutch dessert called Oilebol. The ring-shaped donut is an American patent indeed. But the recipe is Dutch, so credit should be given to the latter.

7) French Fries (Belgian)

Many people from other countries as well, consider fries an American thing. But in fact they are Belgian and this is their international food. The French term is a wrong term that was coined during the World War I era, by British and American soldiers believing the food was French.

Still, in fries' case there is an American patent. Fries with ketchup is an American pattern indeed. In Belgium mayonnaise is preferred, which tastes better by the way. Try with mayonnaise once, if you have never did, and you will realize the difference.

8. Gummy Bears (German)

The favorite candy for kids, started being produced in Germany, and not in America. Haribo, the famous company that produces gummy bears, was the first and they started in Germany.

9) Hot-Dog (Polish)

The popular food, sold in the streets during the 4th of July (American Independence Day), is NOT American, but Polish. It was introduced to Americans by a Polish Although the sausage was German (from Frankfurt), the hot-dog patent is Polish, and later Americans made their own version of hot-dog, and turn it into one of their international foods.

10) Ice-Cream (Chinese)

The ice-cream as we know it, was being eaten in China for centuries, before it came to Europe and then in America. The reason why someone might believe it's American, is because ice-cream cake (with various themes on it) is a popular dessert, among birthday parties in America, something that many cultures have adopted later.

11) Ketchup (Chinese)

Maybe fries with ketchup might be an American patent indeed. But both fries (as I said above) and ketchup are not American. Ketchup was used as a fish sauce in China, originally. People believe it's American, because it's being used in Americanized foods a lot, like hot-dogs, burgers and fries. Which all of them are not American too.

12) Macaroni and Cheese (British)

Or Mac and Cheese like Americans say it. The famous American dish is not American as well, but British! In fact Americans have adopted many things from British people, most notably the language they speak. The first Macaroni and Cheese recipe was recorded in a 18th century cooking book, from an English woman.

13) Peanut Butter (Canadian)

The favorite American spread, is not American as well. A form of Peanut butter existed, during the time of Aztecs and Incas, but the peanut butter as we know it, started being produced by a Canadian man.

14) Pizza (Italian)

If you have tried pizza from an Italian pizzeria, then you can realize the difference. Americanized pizza is with a thick crust and thin filling, whilst Italian pizza is the other way round. Pizzas were supposed to have thin crust. So even though pizzas are originated from Italy, we can have American Pizza, as a separate food. Calling them just Pizza is just wrong.

15) Whisky (Irish)

Whisky is Irish. Ever heard of the traditional Irish song Whisky In The Jar ? The American patent is what we call Bourbon. But whisky has its origins in Ireland, as the word itself. It comes from the Gaelic language (uisce beatha), meaning water of life. The reason many might believe it's American, is because of Jack Daniels being the most popular whisky brand, along with Wild Turkey and Fireball as well.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Girls Said 36

• Actually according to wikipedia, ice cream is as old as ancient Greece. "During the 5th century BC, ancient Greeks ate snow mixed with honey and fruit in the markets of Athens. The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, encouraged his Ancient Greek patients to eat ice "as it livens the lifejuices and increases the well-being.""
    But then again the Chinese were the first to incorporate milk into the ice cream so... is that where the line is drawn?

• You might be right but for the future Wikipedia should never be referenced.

• @Flurr wikipedia is actually quite trustworthy, especially if you pay attention to the cited sources under every article.

• I had no idea America had calmed most of those, especially pizza and whiskey

• America is made up of many cultures so naturally those things appeared on our shores. Taking credit for them though? Nah. Especially the alcohol. We treasure imported liquor. And pizza? We know it's not an American invention. Same with fries and certain baked goods.

The only one I agree with is the Apple Pie and Peanut Butter. Those inventions are in our biased and truth twisting school history books.

• I never thought that America was trying to take credit for these, and they're not. What's wrong with enjoying these? Yes they were invented somewhere else but everyone gets something from somewhere...

• As an American, there are many dishes here I've heard no Americans claim were invented in America, especially beer, pizza, and whiskey... and when it comes to the other things, it's like these thing came to America via immigrant most likely and over time they were changed, pretty radically (hamburger) into forms that suited American culture.
    Thank you people around the earth for giving America your foods.

• So 13 just discredits George Washington Carver entirely...

• I thought ice cream was Italian?

Also, isn't it doughnuts if we are using proper English?

• Dunno whether they are donuts or doughnuts.

• The official dictionary spelling of the word is doughnut with donut generally being listed as a variant of the preferred original spelling. Doughnut is the original spelling of the word, coming onto the scene in the early 1800s.

• After all, if we are being hardcore it should be pronounced a "do-nut". And it's made out of a more dough like substance than cake like substance.

• I doubt anything is truly ours. America has too many cultural influences to create something 100% ours. Didn't realize Mac and cheese was British though. I'll have to look into that some more.

• The European version of hot-dogs is different (and better) from the US one.

• Nice take, but it made me really hungry :(

• The only one I thought might be American was the peanut butter.
    Ketchup as it's known, with tomatoes, I believe it was invented in the US by an Italian person?

Well, it seems most (good) things in the US were brought in by immigrants or created by immigrants, yet they still get the 'American seal'.

• Oh, I already knew all of these originated somewhere else. Knew about pizza, whiskey, apple pie, hot dogs, and every food originated in Germany. Although I thought ice cream was Italian as well...

• As a proud Canadian I never knew peanut butter was Canadian. Guess it was true when they said you learn something new everyday aha

• yes!! they are all considered American but they aren't American

• The US is a melting pot, I doubt any of our foods are really ours. I mean shit look at the English language lol

• *And yes Ik English wasn't created in the US but rather a comparisson of it being a melting pot as well. Sorry I'm half asleep lol*

• Uhm.. Didn't know we were taking credit for those?
    Like everyone I know is aware that those things weren't invented in America.
    We're a huge ass melting pot.
    I think they can those things American because the majority of Americans enjoy them.

• Omg, I am so damn hungry now! I was just gonna drink a protein shake but then I saw the burgers, hot dogs, and donuts. #daym 🍩 🍴

• We're a lot younger than Europe or China, like seriously? Almost everything has been done. Give us a break.

• Its surprise that you don't know by now our culture is a mishmosh of everyone else

• I want some pizza now..

• More from Girls
    16

What Guys Said 34

• You know... just as a side point here, Americans aren't all drooling morons. I've never met anyone who thinks that most of these were invented in this country... I mean, if you believe the U. S. invented things like pizza and beer, you're just a moron.

We all KNOW we didn't "invent" these. Thing is, America POPULARIZED most of these, which is why they're considered very "American." Food has been shared with and inspired by cultures since the dawn of time, anyway; if you go back far enough, I sincerely doubt you could figure out exactly which country invented everything. I can almost guarantee macaroni and cheese isn't even originally British, as the idea of combining pasta and cheese in SOME capacity could've been tried by just about anyone, from the Italians to the Chinese.

• Good take :)

• Just a small point on semantics.
    Whisky is Scotch (Scottish Whisky). Irish Whiskey has an "E".

• A lot of these look wrong especially the peanut butter and potato chips. Everyone knows the story of a New York chef who cut potato slices way too thin in order to piss of a customer, but they turned out to be really good potato chips.
    Also, peanut butter is famously credited with being invented by George Washington Carver.

Even if these were invented by other nations, America made them way better. Which is why other counties eat our version.

• Look at wikipedia.

• No, because Wikipedia is highly inaccurate about stuff like that.

• I trust wikipedia more than an... you know what.

• The only ones Americans take credit for are apple pies, burgers, donuts, and hot dogs, and we don't really know exactly were burgers were invented, some sources say the US, others say Germany.

Americans don't take credit of the others.

• What about Macaroni and Cheese?

As for burgers... doesn't the name itself sounds German to you?

• Lol you not American though

• @ikissedtheskyonce that's why I never included myself when I mentioned Americans... pfff xD

• I would say that many Americans think that Whisky comes from Scotland So many of these things I never thought came from our country however Pizza, while still Italian really is an American creation.

The Italian Immigrants made it. Some people say because many were poor and the materials to make it were pretty cheap and Italian. Almost like it was made out of homesickness.

• All I know is Canada perfected beer LOL There are very few beer products in the US that taste half decent.

Of course there are many things that I do like to eat when I am down in the states, beer is just not one of them.

Normally I grab a Canadian beer brand when I travel to the US, or a Heineken.

• Woah woah woah the burger patty and the sandwich part was invented by Americans, so in essence yeah it is America. Fact check

• And no flavored ice was used in China and used by the Greeks before them. Ice Cream was introduced in the American World Fair in St. Louis. Get rekt

• I do in winter. In summer I drink two cans, because you feel more thirsty.

• Kk good luck

• Oh so the Belgians were the first ones to think about cutting up a potato and cooking them... I'm sure the the people of Peru cultivated them and studied the strange brown object for thousands of years devoting all their efforts to crack this mysterious object from the Earth. Tis obviously why the fall of Machu Picchu occurred. If only they had thought to cut them up... If the Belgians had only visited them maybe a once complicated and ancient civilization would still exist, but cutting the potato obviously was a technological marvel that had to wait until the great minds of Belgium assembled and diligently collaborated around the clock to break through to the dawn of a new age of culinary excellence. No other minds would have ever imagined that the potato could be cut...

• Chinese Stir Fry technique + Peruvian stable food = French Fry... There were Chinese cooking staple foods in Puru in 1613 and likely earlier...

• yes, finally recognition for my countries delicacies. Belgium thanks you.

• Yeah fries with mayo for the win. No ketchup.

• yeah but when other did that stuff it was stupid.

• America is very much a melting pot of several cultures, so the info in this MyTake don't offend my Yankee ass one bit. :-D

• Yummy take😋

• It isn't always clear cut who invented what. It depends on how you define the object to a large extent. If you define it a certain way pizza was actually invented in China. Most inventions are innovations on a thing which came before it. If for instance you asked who invented the television set or the toilet you would get about a dozen different answers each, as it largely depends on what variation of the tv or toilet you are talking about.

• Apples originated in Central Asia, though, so really it's a Central Asian-British-American concoction!

(see how silly this is?)

• Credit where credit is due - when Americans took these foods and adopted them as their own, they really did create a new cuisine that is truly something special.

• Well I kinda disagree. The Americanized burgers for example from McDonald's, are really fake compared to the real German burgers.

• Yes, but go to America and get yourself a proper gourmet burger and then say that they can't make burgers.

• Half of these are BS, i would like to meet the American that truly thinks we invented Pizza, Hotdogs, bacon, beer or whiskey.

A few of those are kinda surprising actually.

• Success breeds success bitches.

• Ever hear the term "melting pot?"

Jesus, what is with all the hostility?

Maybe I should write take constantly bashing your country and people

• I value my time, so I won't read it anyway. The fact that you sat and read mine satisfies my a lot. And as usual... BLOCKED.

• Nobody's forcing you to eat the American variants.

• Why so supportive to the Americans lately?

• I'm not supportive of them at all. I don't like them taking things and selling them as their own either. But then again I don't care of them doing so since I'm not forced to buy them. Besides, the 80's culture you like so much (I'm assuming you're who I think you are), draws most of the influence from America anyway.

• You are spot on about who I am. And ironically, the most bands I like are... American (!)

Does it mean I accept it, when they want to take credit for anything? No.

• More from Guys
    14