20 True Blue Aussie Foods You Need to Experience (At Least Once!)

They're not all beauties, but you gotta try them at least once before you make up your mind!

1. ANZAC biscuits

20 True Blue Aussie Foods You Need to Experience (At Least Once!)Anzac biscuits have long been associated with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) established in World War I. It has been claimed the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.

Technically, they’re New Zealand biscuits as well, but everyone forgets about NZ so it’s okay. :P

2. Bunnings Snags

Bunnings Warehouse is an Aussie hardware store, that’s infamous for having a sausage sizzle outside its stores. The snags are so popular that memes have been made about them.

3. Caramello Koala

It’s a small chocolate in the shape of a koala, with a tasty caramel filling.

4. Cheesymite Scrolls

Thank you, Bakers Delight, for these beauties. They're bread scrolls with cheese and Vegemite spread in the middle, and are absolutely delicious.

5. Cherry Ripe

Kind of like a bounty, but with dark chocolate, and sort of a glace cherry taste as well. They’re GOOD.

6. Chiko Rolls

A Chiko Roll's filling is primarily cabbage and barley, as well as carrot, green beans, beef, beef tallow, wheat cereal, celery and onion. This filling is partially pulped and enclosed in a thick egg and flour pastry tube designed to survive handling at football matches.

Personally, I think it's gross. It's something the previous generation grew up with, but it's rare to find a place that still sells these now.

7. Fairy Bread

It’s as simple as white bread, butter, and sprinkles! This is what all the cool kids have at their parties.

8. Fantales

Caramel dipped in chocolate, with really cool celebrity trivia wrappers.

9. Golden Gaytime

I know the name is funny, but this ice-cream is amazing. There's nothing else like it - with it's unique combination of smooth creamy ice cream and delicious biscuit pieces. (The ice-cream in the photo on the left is called a Bubble-O-Bill btw).

10. Hundreds and Thousands Biscuits

Sweet biscuits with pink icing and sprinkles! What's not to love?

11. Iced Vovos

Sweet biscuits with marshmallow, jam and shredded coconut on top.

12. Lamingtons

Squares of sponge, rolled in chocolate and shredded coconut.

13. Meat Pies

Especially Balfours, there’s nothing like an Aussie meat pie.

14. Milo

Milo is malt drink powder that *is* available in other countries, but I still like to think it's Aussie. I mean, when we did cricket workshops in primary school, they’d hand out little sachets of these! Everyone has also eaten a spoonful of Milo without milk at least once in their life.

15. Mint Slices

Delicious mint and chocolate biscuits.

16.Minties

Chewy mint flavoured lollies that I associate with old people because my Grandma used to give them to me every time I went to visit her.

17. Paddle Pops

Ice creams that everyone loves.

18. Shapes

They’re baked biscuits with seasoning, and are a staple of any Aussie kid’s diet.

19. Tim Tams

They’ve started selling them in other countries now which is really disappointing, but they’re still Aussie!

20. Vegemite

This one doesn’t need explanation, other than an obvious point, if you eat a spoonful of this thing with nothing else, obviously it’s going to taste disgusting. So do yourself a favour and spread a very small amount on top of buttered toast, and you’ll find your opinion of it might change.

(sorry for the lack of the image, there's a 20 image limit, but I figure this one is the most recognizable.)

BONUS: A few months ago, Cadbury decided to launch Vegemite Chocolate. It was a disaster and it's safe to say that *no one* liked it. This image pretty much sums it up:

Hope you enjoyed and that you'll try some of this stuff once ^^

Luci92 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 19

• This looks delicious.
    It makes me want to go to Australia and just go on an Autralian-food eating binge 😂. Strangely enough, I actually don't know if I've ever had vegemite, just because every time I've gotten close to trying it someone tells me it is disgusting 😅. I'll have to try a bit sometime!

The cheesymite rolls though... *mouth watering*

• Hahaha Vegemite by itself is certainly disgusting, but you gotta try it once! And the scrolls... oh my gosh they are amazing!

• Oooh awesome thanks! I'll have to make them sometime

• Wlc, let me know how it goes ^^

• I'm from the Fiji Islands and know most of these treats very well, that TimTams fucking better than Oreos IMHO. Aussie Meat Pies BEST eaten in winter or any fucking time, Minties OMG everybody and their grams had these in their house to pass around, Milo is to be eaten with the Lamingtons!!!

• I don't like meat pies,
    I'm of the pies should be fruit opinion
    Also now you have to see the American foods take I wrote months ago
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a29014-my-10-all-time-favorite-all-american-meals

• There was a chocolate bar I was addicted to when I was there. I forget what it was called, though. I think the wrapping was purple. But vegemite can eat a chode 😖

• Uh yeah some of these aren't even Australian in origin and some of these others are just copies of food we already have /=

And see now I just have to create an American take of this

• I do want to try the food on this list that actually is only from Australia and unique to your country though.

• Anything can beat American carmel corn.

And I dont even eat popcorn.

• @BaileyisDarcy You've obviously never had home made Carmel corn then few things beat it.

• Some interesting stuff there as you say there are things you wouldn't mind trying them once just for the experience.

• Slow the fuck down. So you're telling me that there's an Australian Freddo.
    Great now I have to fly over there.

• Ate so many meat pies and sausage rolls. Standard morning routine, wake up, shower, start the ignition, drive to coles - buy meatpies/sausage rolls and some juice. That was breakfast sitting at the typical morning traffic jam on the freeway lol.

• I beginning to think all Australian cuisine is based on a dare.

• American food > Australian food

• Balfours?

Pffffft...

4n20 for life!!

• TimTams! I love those things.
    Thank you, Australia!

• Paddle Pop ❤
    Blow job Luci 😂
    I'm lovin it 😍
    This time you rocked 💁

• Rumballs
    Strawberry Freddy Frogs
    Sunny Boys
    Snapper ( Baked )
    Sausage Rolls
    Picnics

• It all looks good
    But 5 looks freaking amazing
    Also poor new Zealand 😂

• I'm going to SYD / BNE for these alone. 🍫🍴

• Bah.. girl I bet u never heard about Turkish kitchen 😎

• Some of these look quite delectable , I wouldn't mind trying some of them.

• haha... you have really shitty cuisine!

What Girls Said 17

• Asking a friend from Australia who said "Nothing to add to the list, but it's all sugary food".

He did say that you'll know if you like all of the foods with Vegemite if you try it once. If you don't like it, you won't like it in any foods.

Nice Take.

• WAIT

you're telling me.

That fairy bread.
    Milo
    Tim Tams
    Shapes
    Hundreds and thousand bickies
    Chock mint bickies
    Meat pies
    And Paddle pops

I wouldn't be able to get. If i left Australia.

you're fucking with me. You cannot be telling me the rest of the world does not have these.

This is a disgrace.

• :( ikr? I don't know if I can leave home anymore.
      Also, what did you think of the new shapes flavours?

• I've had vegemite. Fetal position in corner/10, full on regret.

That fairy bread looks like what my mom used to make us for lunch, but that's cuz she didn't get her parenting shit together til I was in high school. She'd sandwich together frosting and sprinkled between bread.

I also grew up with Milo. And Klim.

• Americans have a version of number 10. They are cookies shaped like "animals".
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...6afd90c555.jpg

• TimTam & Vegemite lmao
    I really liked the Lamingtons they sell at Victoria market in Melbourne though!

• A lot of these look good, especially Caramello Koala and the fantales. I love Milo, I can finish a tin in 3 days just by eating the milo raw 🙈, in my country we have something called choco milo, it's basically just cubed milo so you could carry it around and eat it, i think it's only in Nigeria though.

• I'm hungry now. 😭

• Lol, I almost cussed you out because I couldn't find my beloved Tim Tams hahahaha. I was like 'No she didn't leave the most delicious thing Australia ever created off this list... oh, there it is."

Haha, nice Take.

• Well, sigh, at least the wine is good. You really ought to get out of the Commonwealth and let the Asians take care of your food from now on.

For that matter, the aboriginals could do better than these sugar and chemical concoctions

• I basically live of Milo :-D and you could leave a trail of caramello bears/koalas and I'd follow them :-|

• looks good but ım not into junk food

• caramello koalas, lamingtons and tim tams are life

• i want to try meat pies, mintslice, iced vovos and lamingtons

• New Zealand has most of those too, except Marmite is better than Vegemite ;) :p

• This is so different to French food. Make me think of English food.

• Will do one day.

• What is Vegemite?