Please Stop Talking About the 'Paleo Diet'

First off, I feel like I should be writing on a chalkboard in front of a college class saying, 'Paleolithic comes from the latin word paleo meaning old and lithic meaning stone.' While a college girl blinks with the words love you written on her eye-lids at me; and anyone who gets that reference

Now I've heard about this so called Paleo diet that people claim to use now. Now normally Dieting fads don't annoy me, I just say oh thats interesting and move on. The Paleo Diet is different soley because of the sheer lack of understanding of our current knowledge of early human history.

The biggest change is that grains are pretty much non-existent, its a completely low carb diet. However here's the thing, in the Paleolithic period, Humans had migrated all over the globe, We crossed the Bering land bridge in the Paleolithic period, the first people arrived in Australia during the paleolithic and the only place we could say probably had a similar diet to this paleo diet would have been those in the Arctic Circle. Where diets are HEAVILY meat and fish based with berries harvested in the arctic circle during the warmer months, things like the Arctic Blueberry grows wild in the Taiga and the tundra.

Now what is missing from the paleo diet are things like starchy root vegetables, and grains. However, these things actually have been shown to be a part of the diet of plenty of people during this time period.

First off, we had infact reached south america by the upper paleolithic and its perfectly plausible that some hunter gatherer tribes often dug up wild potatoes and ate them.

SECOND, WE HAVE EVIDENCE OF GRAIN BEING EATEN BY HUMANS DURING THIS TIME PERIOD!

That was found at a paleolithic dig site and it was dusted with oat starch meaning that it was used to grind grain.

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/11/ancient-oat-discovery-may-poke-more-holes-in-paleo-diet/

So now the people in the arctic circle didn't eat grains, the people other parts of the world damn well did at this point in time. Then add in the Gatherer part of the Hunter Gatherer.

Digging up tubers is extremely common in hunter gatherer tribes and one of the primary things they gather. Now in the American Southwest its also fair to say that the new inhabitants probably found out the edibility of the Banana Yucca fairly quickly, and to those who've never had the luxary of tasting this plant, both nutrient content and texture wise, its INCREDIBLY similar to a potato.

So to sum it up really, is that there wasn't one single diet during the paleolithic, there were a bunch of them in different regions of the world, and plenty of them would violate this so called 'paleo-diet' that is going around these days.

So please, just call it something else, cause its certainly not historically accurate like some diet instructors claim.

#RANTDONE

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree that it's silly especially since people need a goodly amount of complex carbs to grow and support our brains.

But I also don't really care what other people eat when they're not around me

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never spoken about or even know what the paleo diet is and I hate and loath all diets I can professionally tell you about 70-80% of them are fad diets just meant to make money or are done by people who have no clue what they are talking about.

• 'are done by people who have no clue what they are talking about.'
      This one even more so, as they don't understand nutrition but also early human history

• Well then I stand with you on this not only as a historian type person but as a fitness/nutrition professional.

got you back jack.

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 9

• So, what name (s) do you suggest we use instead?

Real question. You can't just "rant" (your words!) about a name, if you don't have viable alternatives up yr sleeve.

__

Also
    Do keep in mind that names/monikers for public consumption are not -- and were never meant to be -- perfectly scientifically/historically accurate.
    As long as the name is at least vaguely reminiscent of the right idea... it's fine.

For instance, my "boy shorts" were certainly never intended to be worn by actual boys... Butttt (heh, "butt") the name gives you a decent idea of how their shape is going to differ from that of most other styles of women's underwear.

Same thing if you wear "cologne" -- technically, that's incorrect if yr fragrance is marked "eau de toilette" (as most men's fragrances are) or "eau de parfum".
    But, no one is gna hate on a boy who describes all three as "cologne".

Etc etc.

__

Finally, don't forget that there are Arctic Inuit peoples who live above the treeline, whose traditional diet includes NO carbohydrates AT ALL (... because nothing grows up there that can be eaten). Not even summer berries and so on.
    The vitamins in these peoples' diets, generally speaking, come from the organ meats (liver, brain, heart, etc) in the marine animals they eat.

• Are you objecting to the name or the diet itself?

My dad "follows" this diet. It isn't intentional, he just discovered that his diet basically is this. He's a diabetic, and tries to control it as much as possible through diet. He needs background and fast acting insulin so the less he can take the better.

If you are objecting to the diet itself, as with most things, it's perfect for some people.

Nobodies asking you to do this diet so I don't get why it upsets you so much...

• Yes. It is annoying. I bet most people on the paleo diet really have no idea what Paleolithic people did eat. Also, Paleolithic people didn't have irrigation or running water, so they were susceptible to waterborne diseases. Ah, well. That's just life. :)

• I do not give mind to it but to each their own. I did have a colleague who was having trouble because she ate a clean diet and her husband went Paleo like for years.

Honestly this is completely brought on by the Game of Thrones. The meats in the diet are bad but unprocessed food is good. We can all eat cleaner but this isn't the diet.

• I didn't know it was wrong to call this diet the "Paleolithic Diet", but now thanks to you I know I shouldn't say that.
    And I can tell you get annoyed when people call it by this name.
    It's funny how we can use a word without knowing its real meaning.

• Cool my take

• so that's why they named it that

• People always make up names for their made up diets, let them die happy.

• cool

What Guys Said 7

• Good points, great Take, most people forget the fact - some of the earliest human ancestors were actually vegetarians, e. g Paranthropus Boisei: sites.google.com/.../paranthropus_boisei_.jpg

• It's a stupid diet because everything in the pictures they use didn't exist 5000 years ago. All the plants in the grocery store are the result of thousands of years of genetic engineering and selective breeding.
    The Paleo diet is just as dumb as Harold Camping's banana argument against atheism.

• Low carb diet.

• Oh my goodness Waffles, no grains... I love bread, pasta, ... so this would not have been my favourite diet :o

• So many "paleo" foods they eat didn't even exist thousands of years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

• The Paleolithic diet has no good foundation ther then avoiding excess sugars and processed food. This is common sense. The rest is as you've shown, bullshit

• Bro have you heard about the Keto diet?