How to develope a taste for meat and fish?

Although it may sound weird to most of the people here, I am vegetarian by birth. By vegetarian I mean lacto-vegetarian, not vegan. My parents are vegetarian and hence so am I. However me and my Mom do make eggs sometimes.
But atmost care is taken while cooking eggs. In our refrigerator, eggs are kept separated from other stuff. There's a separate set of utensils to cook eggs and they washed very thoroughly afterwards.
Why? Because in my experience, eggs and meat have a distinct smell which veggies don't. This smell is off putting. Not to mention that I can't even stand smell of fish.
Even if that's the case, I want to develop a taste for meat and fish. My friend gave me a small piece of chicken wings when we were at a party. I ate it. There was that off putting smell, but still I did. Compared to vegetarian stuff I ate so far, this was very chewey (maybe it wasn't cooked well?). I had to chew a lotttttt.. And in the end when coating of wings was gone, all left was salty chewey thing. I can't say that I liked it, but I didn't dislike it either. It was just different.
So, this is my situation right now. How should I develop a taste for meat? How to appreciate the taste of it? From where and how should I start?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should start with things that don't have a strong smell. For example, fish is pretty hard to develop a taste for. Some people still don't like fish. You could try eating fishsticks. Most people who don't like fish, do like fishsticks.
    For meat, I think chicken is a good start since it doesn't smell that strong. Try chicken nuggets or something.
    What you also could try is when you make spaghetti, you could try putting some minched beef through it so you still eat meat, but you can't smell it and the taste is subtle.
    The texture from meat really is different than from vegetables, but you'll get used to it.

• Thanks.. But I can't eat beef due to religious beliefs.. Do you have any alternative for that?
      Thanks in advance

• I'm sorry. Can you eat pork? You can also eat minched pork.

• Yes I can.. Thanks again!
      :)

What Guys Said 5

• www.geeksandcleats.com/.../...sed-face-300x256.png

put it in your mouth and eat. if you don't like the smell and taste of chicken, you need help

• I never said I didn't like it. The smell of chicken is off putting for me. That's how I am. I asked question because I want to change it. And yes, I do need help for it, which is why I asked for it in this question.
      You are telling me things I already know.
      Thanks, but no thanks.

• off-putting means unpleasant... let me rephrase it; you might think you don't like the smell of chicken, but even if you don't you do! and by "you need help", i mean you need psychological help... like a therapist :D

• What about smoked meats? Ham, ribs, brisket with bbq sauce

• It is a personal choice, it is probably like anything, taste different types of meat and see if you like any, if you do try more, if not it will probably suit you to stay vegetarian. There is no "Have to eat meat" rule in society.

• If you REALLY REALLY have to. Start with , Seitan セイタン or soy-based meat analogues (fake meat) to have a feel of the texture first.
    Not sure why'd you want to get into meat when people are going vegetarian and vegan but here ya go.

• RIBS

RIBS WITH BARBECUE SAUCE

FALL IN LOVE

What Girls Said 3

• Why do you want to start eating it, if you don't mine me asking? Animal products only raise our risk for cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's, osteoporosis, and many other debilitating diseases. Then factor in the impact it has on the environment and the cruelty involved with consuming animals. It's actually amazing that you were raised without meat.
    Anyways, to answer your question, our taste buds change to conform to our present diets. nutritionfacts.org/video/changing-our-taste-buds/

• I still don't like fish!

• Doooooont :(