If you use alcohol in cooking or baking, does it cook out and therefore would be safe for anyone (kids, pregnant women ) to eat?

For example, I found a great maragarita cupcake recipe I want to try. There is tequila in the batter, but after baking you also brush some on top of the cupcake.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have been cooking for 20 years. Trace amounts do stay in the food but not enough to be concerned about.

Most Helpful Girl

• The alcohol in the tequila that's in the batter will be cooked out. The tequila brushed on top of the cupcake will still have alcohol in it, but a little bit isn't gonna kill anyone lol. As long as you're not dousing the cupcake with a full shot you (and any kids or pregnant women) will be fine!

(those cupcakes sound amazing btw)

What Guys Said 8

• You'll be fine

• Yes it is safe. Heat does in fact kill the alcohol and just adds flavor to the food

• assuming you know what you're doing, yes, it does cook out. it takes time and heat though. brushing some booze over the top of a cupcake doesn't do it if you're brushing it right before serving... but a thin sheen of booze is safe for anyone. if you brush it well before hand, it's just going to naturally evaporate.

• No actually... It does not completely cook out. Some science is involved here and you could test it or try to find info on alcohol evaporation cooking times... But from what I remember, for example, it takes hours before it actually evaporates when added in sauces.

But nevertheless, the amount is probably negligible... I personally wouldn't give it to young young kids just for the sake of the idea, prego women is ok.

• Normally i would have originally said yes, but one time my mom got drunk off of banna flambe, even after the alcohol was set on fire to burn off, there's always a little chance the alcohol didn't fully burn or cook out

• It totally cooks out, not even an issue.

• Trace amounts of alcohol do remain but not enough to be concerned about or harmful. You'll be fine.

• sounds good to me

What Girls Said 4

• Yes it's fine for pregos and kids BUT it can be a trigger for some recovering alcoholics. It usually isn't for most dry alcoholics but if they for instance smell it cooking it can be or if you have a strong burgundy sauce or something.

• Yes, it should. Just don't brush it over the top for a few of them and reserve those for the one with the uterine parasites.

• I think so.

• Yea it cooks out I think