So veganism is becoming more and more popular and I'm curious as to what people think about it.
I'm sure most of us know that some animals are tortured in slaughter houses and dairy farms whether it be beating the animals, force feeding them, or grinding up baby chicks, it exists. After doing some research, I've made a decision to continue consuming meat and dairy but only from sources with a good reputation (as far as I know).
But here are some questions I asked myself along the way that I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks:
1. Is there such thing as humane slaughter?
2. What are my effects on the world as a meat eater?
3. What would my effects be on the world as a vegan?
4. Are humans made to digest meat and is it healthy?
5. Do we have the right to kill and harvest from these animals?
6. Could I kill an animal myself?
Thanks guys! <3
- Yes - There is such thing as humane slaughter and I consume meat and/or dairy46% (24)67% (29)56% (53)Vote
- Yes - There is such thing as humane slaughter but I do NOT consume meat and/or dairy8% (4)5% (2)6% (6)Vote
- No - There is no such thing as humane slaughter but I do consume meat and/or dairy25% (13)21% (9)23% (22)Vote
- No - There is no such thing as humane slaughter and I do NOT consume meat and/or dairy13% (7)5% (2)9% (9)Vote
- Other - Please explain :)8% (4)2% (1)6% (5)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
There is the quick and efficient way or the slow and stupid way. You are killing the animal so make is quick and painless. It's not humane. Thinking it's humane is just pure delusional. You might give them a peaceful death which would be costly or a quick death. They are still going to face the terror of getting butchered for meat.
You can have 10 million reasons to be a vegan just like the millions reasons about drinking alcohol. We still drink, just like we still eat meat (we just eat more meat).
Human are omnivores. We can digest meat but we also need other stuff. A cat also needs a little vegetables once in a while. That being said, we are built to eat a lot less than we are now and we are also built not to eat so much sugar and carb. Diabetes and obesity are everywhere and I don't see people eating less or stopping their sugar intake. We can't even follow a healthy diet! If we can't even fix the sugar issue while we can see it's killing us, the meat issue is not even an issue.
I studied environmental science but I have a degree in economics. When the dismal science data is against you, no amount of Justice or honor can save you.1
- Show AllShow Less
Most Helpful Girl
Im a vegan, after being a long time vegetarian.
I dont believe there's any humane slaughter. But whats even less humane is the conditions that all factory farmed animals live it. Its truly sickening. There's no quality of life. And they dont want you to know how not all animals are rendered completely unconscious before being sent in to slaughter.
I was always uncomfortable eating meat, even as a kid. Because i love animals. Then learning more, the dairy and egg industry is really just as cruel or worse.
So, I've made my transition into being a vegan for over a year now.
Even aside from a morality standpoint, if we stopped mass breeding of livestock, this world would be a better place.
People would be healthier, animals would be less populated, we wouldn't always be short on water, or really even food for lots of poorer countries...
Our greedy need for meat is taking so many unnecessary recourses.2