Should peanuts be banned on airplanes?

A large and quickly rising number of people have severe food allergies to peanuts, including myself. On places such as an airplane, this can present a significant risk to them due to the close proximity and limited air circulation. In light of this, should airlines ban or at least discourage peanuts on their planes?

The most well thought out opinions will get MHO, even if I don't agree with them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I think not. I'm extremely allergic to peanuts and I always carry and epipen. To me, it's my issue so other people don't need to fix it for me. If you are allergic to something and don't have an epipen, it's simply irresponsible.

It's similar to having asthma and someone smoking around you or you're in a smoggy city and you don't carry an inhaler. Yes, the city probably shouldn't be so smoggy and the person probably shouldn't be smoking but ultimately, taking care of your health is your responsibility.

But, I do believe that people should be nice to others, and not smoke in someone's face or munch on peanuts near someone that is super allergic. There should be a good balance :)

• You raise some good points. Thanks for posting!

I do carry an epi pen with me (as everyone with severe allergies should). I agree that our health certainly is our responsibility.

However, in certain instances society can do a little to help a minority a lot. For example, handicap ramps in buildings.

Personally, I think at least having airlines not serve peanuts on flights would be a good compromise.

• By the way, if you could add me jetboy797 it would be cool to talk some more and compare experiences.

Most Helpful Guy

• One thing i'm curious about, why does it seems these kinds of allergies are so common these days? When i was a kid (not that long ago) there were maybe 3-5 kids out of a thousand in my whole school that were affected.

As for your question, they should be banned just like smoking was banned. Honestly, nobody is going to die from not eating peanuts for 8 hours but people can and do die from nut allergy. Even if it's only 2 or 3 people a year that die from it on aircraft - it's worth it for something that is so easily achieved.

You'll always get the morons that will bring them aboard however, so i'm not sure how you'll go about enforcing a ban, people still sneak cigarettes into the toilets, and peanuts are much easier to conceal at the seat.

What Girls Said 11

• No, and I am allergic to peanuts myself as well. I say no because it's not up to others to be mindful of my allergies, it's up to me. I'm not going to stop the other 200 people on the flight from enjoying a peanut snack, because it's not fair to them. It's my responsibility to make sure that I'm prepared for the flight with all my medication in my carry on bag, including a couple of Epi-Pens. I've never had an incident while flying, thankfully.

• Great response :)

• I totally understand that. However, it's a risk I'm willing to take. I can't spend my life living in a sterile bubble, lol.

• Yeah, it's a risk I'm willing to take, too. I just think it would be nice to have it lowered.

• A number of people are allergic to shrimp (like myself) and they are still served on planes. (My airways contract tightly and I stop breathing).
    Some people are allergic to certain types of fruit (tomatoes for me) and they are still served on planes. (My tongue swells up)
    Just don't eat it and always carry your medication. If you get an allergic reaction from airborne smells, then yes it should be a concern. Maybe have a special place or filters for passengers with those kinds of allergies? Because it is very fatal. It won't be fair to the majority of passengers who enjoy peanuts as a snack on the plane if you ban them all together, but there should be precautions with people with food allergies. You have an epi-pen right?

• Yes, of course I have an epi pen. But obviously it doesn't always work, and even if it does it's still incredibly scary and they'd have to do an emergency landing.

• NAH! I love peanuts!

• Yes and bring back real food. Airline food just suck in general for the most part

• Yes please! My parents tell me stories!

• No! My sister would die without peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! There should be filters and a certain section for eating to reduce allergic reactions.

• Good ideas, that would be a good solution.

FYI, she could try Soynut butter... It's very good :)

• Get your own snack

• I bring my own smack. The issue is the airborn nature of some people's allergies. They cannot be near those consuming the peanut snack.

• Wear your own dust mask

• I've long thought about this and wondered why they still serve foods like that on planes.

• I love peanuts

• Peanuts are not going to kill you, if that's true we should ban all food on planes

• Peanuts can and do kill people with food allergies.

Why would we ban all foods? The question is simply referring to the most common cause of allergy deaths, peanuts.

• Peanuts are the number one source of the allergic reaction called anaphylaxis, which can cause a number of reactions within just a couple of minutes including tightening of the chest and throat up to the point of cutting off oxygen. So yes, it can kill you.

• yes they should be banned

• Yes. They should be.

What Guys Said 14

• Funny you ask this, I was traveling last month and bought a bag of peanuts for the flight. I actually thought to ask the people next to me if they were allergic, and joked that "I feel like you need to ask that nowadays." But I was thinking that, like what if the next passenger is allergic, and I just ate peanuts, and then went and touched the seatbelt buckle. I mean, I guess it's up to the allergic person to take precaution, we can't just cancel everything that only some people are allergic to, but at the same time, it does seem like a dicey place to just offer peanuts as a standard snack when there seems to be so many more people with the allergy these days.

• i think they should discourage it at the least if they do nothing else but at the most if they can have a snack that does not have any health issues like peanuts do like fruit or something sweet like a candy bar.

• An interesting question. I guess my first thought would be: Of the millions of miles passengers in planes have traveled with peanuts, how many fatal peanut "attacks" have there been? How many non-fatal incidents have there been?

• I do not know.

What I do know is when I was younger I would get very nauseated being around peanuts for a short amount of time, and I'm sure it would have been very uncomfortable (if not worse) on a long flight.

You raise a good point though.

• It is a problem for many though. There's been emergency landings and worse. Would you like to see some articles?

• Sure. You probably should have put them up from the beginning to reach more people.

• No way man. I think you if your allergic is so sever the plane you travel in has to be disinfected of peanuts you just can't fly commercial flights. People have all sorts of severe alergies we can't cleanse all public spaces of all of them.

Interesting enough, plenty of people have serious allergies from dog hair/fur. No ones gonna' be banning dogs from planes anytime soon. In fact here's something that happend' recently.

www.washingtonpost.com/.../

So dogs ok... Peanuts get the hell off the plane. again, not talking about sight seeing dogs.

• Thanks for your contribution. I understand where you are coming from; however, there are some things I'd like to clear up.

First of all, managing allergies is all about risk mitigation. I fly in spite of my allergies, and do many other things, because the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm not so allergic that the entire plane must be disinfected, nor are most people with this allergy. However, this simple accommodation would help a sizable and growing population lower their risk of a catastrophic event. Additionally, you won't have to worry as much about emergency landings disrupting everyone's travel plans.

Also, it is important you are aware that very few people are fatally allergic to dogs, whereas peanuts are the most common cause of severe allergic reactions:

www.mayoclinic.org/.../con-20027898

• So simply not eating peanuts isn't the solution? So if you touch peanut residue, is that enough to cause a reaction?

• It used to be airborn but now it is just consuming it for me. Touching itself isn't a risk unless it touches your eyes or mouth.

• I'm not a fan of peanuts. I'm not allergic, but they're just bland and boring.

Besides the allergies, they're messy, they're too salty (you're already dehydrated enough in the pressurized air cabin, no need to make it worse with the salt), they're easy to choke on, etc.

Maybe serve popcorn? It's cheap and the allergy risk is a lot lower (no nuts, no gluten, although corn allergies are still a concern). It doesn't have to be salty. Of course choking is still an issue, but it's a much softer food and less risky than a hard peanut. It's also still a relatively messy food. But overall it might be a better option than peanuts given the widespread incidence of peanut allergies.

• Yes, popcorn would be great.

• I think the majority of food on airplanes should be banned... it is just crap!

• If there has been even 1 incident, then yes. But I don't think iv'e heard of any incidents with allergies from peanuts...

• No I love peanuts. I miss having them on the plane.
    I always look forward to those mini in flight snack but they seem to be getting worse.
    We should be looking into what causes allergies and curing people not removing something many people enjoy.

• Well, the reality is for the time being we don't have a cure.

Can you seriously not go without peanuts for a few hours of your day? I've had to do it my entire life.

• Even if I was disabled I would NEVER demand to be accommodated. It would be my responsibility to find a way to navigate life.
      For example, I suck at Math; I don't demand that the teacher stop teaching new material and help me catch up since that would interfere with the learning of other people. I seek help after and outside of class since I need it. I look for online practices and what not to help me get up to speed. It's very hard no doubt about it, but my life should NEVER take priority over others simply because I am struggling.

• Well, that's your philosophy.

• Yes they should because I might be feeling hungry and if someone has peanuts a fight will be started

• Yeah.. I think they should discourage peanuts on planes.

• I think people should be banned from airplanes.

• I don't smoke, thus when I am outside everyone should not smoke.

• Umm ok

• They should ban everything dangerous, lighters, tooth files, sparky cola, and yes peanuts which cause allergies