Is it possible to be only slightly lactose intolerant?

This has only developed in the last few months or so. I can drink a glass or two of milk with no problem, but sometimes if I eat something with a lot of cheese (like potato skins, or alfredo pasta) I get bad stomach cramps and diarrhea.

I don't understand why it's only some of the time. Any ideas? I'll probably bring it up to my doctor at my next visit.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think so, I would say that I'm slightly lactose intolerant as well, though hahaha completely opposite of you, like yogurt and cheese and whatever process dairy products are fine for me, but a lot of milk or ice cream and milkshakes I can't do too much of. But it's interesting that your intolerance is towards MORE processed dairy rather than less. Because you would think that the more processed it is the less it affects you.. hmm...

• Haha that is the opposite of me! Ice cream and milkshakes are no problem either. My body's just weird I guess :P

• thanks for MH! did you ever figure out what it was? haha

• Not yet, I'm gonna try cutting certain things out and try to pinpoint exactly which foods cause me trouble before going to the doctor :) I figure that's just what he's gonna tell me to do anyway haha. Thanks for your help!!

What Guys Said 2

• definitely. i am somewhat lactose intolerance. lactose intolerance is essentially another word for being allergic to dairy products. sometimes i can eat cheeses, or milk or whatever and not have a problem and then sometimes it can be rough on my stomach

it depends on how the various things are processed. generally the pasteurized a dairy product is the less negative impact it will have on a person who has lactose intolerance. so things like milk, half/half, ice cream, etc are usually highly pasteurized. cheeses can range from being really to not at all pasteurized.

• I think it is, but the best idea you had is bringing it up to your doctor, it's the right thing to do.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm pretty sure it's possible, I think it just means you can have it in small quantities. My mom is similar with her allergy to chocolate.

• It's definitely possible especially since most adults develop lactose intolerance. I'd still talk to your doctor just to make sure everything is a-okay.

• You could be slightly, there are many different stomach issues. I too had issues with milk products but switched to lactaid milk its better than silk. Also dairy free butter is good for people with lactose intolerance. Do other foods do this to you?

• Not that I've noticed. :/ I'll have to pay more attention to it in the future. As far as I can tell, it's just cheese that gives me this reaction. Milk and ice cream have been fine. Weird! Lol.

Thanks for your answer!

• No problem. I hope you get better. Im a cheese lover myself and would hate to never eat it again. I did think if something you said potatoe skins and alfredo pasta, maybe it has to do with the carbs in them? Pasta and potatoes have higher sugars and low fiber.