I just heard that Beef Jerky isn't very common outside North America, is that true?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• China/Asia has had pork jerky for ages, pretty much identical cooking process and the difference is in livestock reared i guess.

Beef Jerky is still rare in the UK, it's a "stick onto the ends of the aisle" kind of thing.

What Girls Said 14

• Yeah but in some parts of Europe they have sausages which are dried like jerky (kind of like Slim Jims).

• I am also legit curious now!

• Oh we have them in Australia (Melbourne) i enjoy eating the ones at the Asian grocers as they put some type of spices on it and sprinkled chilli flakes on the top. Costco sells them to and they aren't that bad either

• To be honest, I'm not really even sure what it is.

• I wouldn't be surprised.

• We have it here in NZ but it's only one brand as far as I've seen.

• I rarely eat beef jerky and I'm American
    I also don't see it in stores as much

• that is true

• I've never tasted it and don't want to really

• Very true. I didn't have beef jerky until I moved here lol.

• No it's made in a lot of places lol

• Beef jerky is actually really common in Asia. My fav beef jerky are the ones from Asia.

• yes it's disgusting

• Yes its true

What Guys Said 15

• Egyptians created the first known form of Jerky, though it was made from diseased camels. It was called Humpakaka, and it's still in use today, though only fed to mongoloids and Jehovah's Waitresses.

• I can honestly say mate, where I live, I have NEVER seen beef jerkey in my life.

first time I ever saw it in person was when I went on a holiday to the the US.

• I love the stuff, it isn't bad for you either

• Really, generally speaking I understand that its actually fairly easy (as far as moving to another country is.) to move from any part of the anglo-sphere to the U. S

• As for carpentry,
      Thats a good job, A skilled carpenter is ALWAYS going to be in demand and its honest work/

• It's the old pemmican. It has been during centuries sold for provisioning ships for long trips. It's no longer sold here. At least since WW2. Even ships have fridges now. :)

• * It has been sold during centuries for provisioning ships for long trips. It's no longer sold here. At least since WW2. Even ships have fridges now.
      (sorry.)

• No, its different from pemmican, it comes from a different area of the continent too. Pemmican is from northern Canada and is a fatty ball and has other things mixed in.,
      Jerky is literally just dried meat.
      As for ships. We don't really use it there, its great trail food

• I didn't notice, no problem,
      But Its great snack for a day hike

• Only place where I've heard of beef jerky was in Chrono Trigger, and that was a video game from 1994.

• Define "very common".
    Here in Slovakia you can probably get it in convenience stores if you really want to.
    But no, it isn't a common snack.
    It is more of an overpriced western "treat" you buy when you maybe want to try it out.

Potato chips and candy bars like Twix/Snickers is probably the most common kind of snack people would have here.

• I see it here on the shelves in Australia, especially as a snack food in petrol stations.
    It is usually the South African version, called biltong, which is spiced and much more interesting than US style jerky.

• I don't know but I love it. I make my own.

• We do have something similar to that. Between Latina and Rome Though, not all over Italy. We call them "coppiette".

• I have heard about that, would not surprise me if it's true.

• No you can buy freely in UK

• I think so, I've only ever seenit here in the UK once, in the American food section in TESCO XD

• I've seen packets of Beef Jerky in shops everywhere in the UK.

• yes, never seen it here.

• Yeah probably because when I went to Mexico they really didn't have it in any stores

• Europeans are more likely to eat Owl or Reindeer jerkies.

In Africa Pygmy Goat jerky is common.

In Chine one can buy several varieties of cat or dog for drying meat.