Do you ever eat by yourself in a restuarant? And does it make you feel embarrassed?

m just curious, cause I've been working at a sushi restuarant and never realized how many people come in and eat by themselves at the sushi bar, and it makes me think huh, if I did that I'd feel embarrassed because I'm sitting at a sushi bar by myself but that's just me. I've eaten by myself before, but like mostly in fast food places not in restaurants.. And so I'm just curious if people ever feel lonely eating by themselves in a restaurant?

Most Helpful Guy

• I go and eat at this little old fashioned diner all the time, never have I felt embarrassed, I have no reason to, I'm eating, that's what I'm there for. People can wonder why I am there alone but in the end it doesn't bother me so why should it be an issue?

Also dining by yourself can be a nice and relaxing experience you can just sit there and enjoy looking out the window or reading the paper or doing whatever while you eat, because your on your own time and no one else's.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like I have to answer this question too often on this board. Yes I travel for work a lot and so it's a normal thing that I eat by myself if I don't want to eat in my hotel room.

I really like eating by myself in most cases. I hate it when I'm eating alone and someone comes to join. I usually have a book or am having a conversation with someone. At the bar waiting for food when this happens. Women ask men assume. Men see a woman eating alone and think they are saving her. AND/ BUT to their defense sometimes they are if its a hotel bar or something. But if she is unbothered just say hello and find a table by yourself as well.

What Guys Said 22

• I almost always eat by myself. I hardly have any friends or people I hang out with. No big deal, I don't have to be embarrassed because I am paying their menu prices anyway. Besides, I enjoy listening to great music on my earphones when I eat at restaurants, which wouldn't have been possible if I had someone else with me! ;)

• Yeah all the time in restaurants. When i do it in the evenings, it's usually because i have work to finish so my attention is on the laptop. During the day i'll go for lunch somewhere and request an alfresco table or a window seat to watch the world go by as i eat.

• Only at bars or restaurants with bars. I only started doing that after I couldn't stand to stay home doing nothing, I didn't have many friends at the time, now I really only have one. Then I started going to concerts, movies and basically everything alone

• I used to feel embarrassed. Now I do it all the time. It's nice and peaceful to eat by yourself every once in a while. No one really cares or notices except, like you, people who work there. But you don't judge them, do you?

• Maybe they are there on business in your town and don't actually live there. I think that happens a lot. Many people try to eat healthier so they stay away from fast food but they don't exactly have a kitchen to cook their own meals. So they go to a restaurant.

• No way man I would feel like a loser. Only at burger king you can get by with it

• Sometimes, like if I'm visiting out of town or something. Or, sometimes I'll go workout Saturday and then hit up a Chinese buffet. Why would you feel embarrassed? That just seems, insecure tbh. I don't see why you would need to feel embarrassed lol

• Oh I forgot, lunch at work I like to leave the office and disconnect and have some alone time

• Embarrassed? Why? It's my choice to eat there. But I do admit that waiting for the food to come out is more fun with people than alone.

• Yes, always by myself.

• For lunch at work sometimes but it's usually with my assistant or co-workers or something. Being embarrassed sounds dumb, who gives a shit what people think? You're out to eat because you require nourishment, not to impress the masses.

• Yeah I will go out to eat by myself, and no I dont feel embarassed. Sometimes I just want sushi... also unless they are on a jury the opinons of others dont mean shit.

• No, but people do stare at me a lot and give me sad looks as if they are worried about me. It's funny because a lot of people that I know have told me that I look as if I am 12 years old even though I am actually 20 years old.

• Whats wrong with eating on your own, of course I do it. Eat peacefully in your own thoughts, relaxed. Why would I care.

• Not at all. If I'm hungry for sushi then I'm hungry for sushi I don't need to bring friends with me to eat sushi. If I were to go and eat at a restauraunt it's probably because I didn't feel like waiting until I got home to eat.

• Yes I do and no I don't.

• I don't drive so no

But if I did I'd go by myself

It wouldn't bother me

I'm a loner

I like being alone

• Lmfaoooo

• I'd prefer to eat with someone but if I was really hungry I'd definitely eat alone

• Sure, I've stopped in for lunch and at a sub by myself before... When you're hungry you eat.

• I do. Not embarrassed.

• Same. Usually I'll sit at the bar if I'm alone, like on a business trip. I'll just walk on down to the Keg, order me a giant prime rib and a beer and sit there being awesome with my piece of dead cow.

• Yeah I do and sometimes I feel like a loser and other times I enjoy it

• I would not care... though

What Girls Said 26

• ... Mostly in fast food places not in restaurants.
    Speaking of Sushi restaurant, @Illissaam Just a few weeks back when I was out with a friend for dinner, I did see a woman who was having a blast by Herself and Conversing with the Cook at the restaurant.
    I have seen a few people come into an establishment and eat Alone, And Perhaps they do have a Mate, And maybe no Date, And just prefer to Not stay Home.
    Good luck. xx

• Well, Sushi is awesome. And I know a lot of people who don't like sushi, so perhaps they have no choice but to go alone?

I've eaten at restaurants before by myself. It is different, but I'm not going to sit at home by myself and never have any experiences. Unfortunately I don't have many friends who can go out. Most of my friends are married with kids. So I don't have any I can really go out and just have dinner with.

I think maybe those people are in the same boat.

• I'm a big introvert and I don't feel embarrassed ever, when eating alone. I have good friends I can choose to eat with but I've always considered myself a lone wolf, or rather, someone that likes to be independent and is confident, not worrying about what others think of me.

• I have a few times. I was nervous at first but I always ate at this Ma and Pa place so no one really bothered me.

• I have always wanted to eat by myself in a restaurant I will have to try it sometime because I enjoy my own company. Recently, a friend of mine decided she should date herself. She went to a high end restaurant by herself, dressed to the nines, ordered a nice meal, and ate a slice of cheesecake the size of face. And she wasn't even going through a breakup she said people stared. But she said it was a nice experience.

• I've done it before. People stared at me, but I didn't care. I was hungry and wanted some pizza, so I got myself some pizza.

• Nah, I don't. If I'm eating alone, I get something that's to-go and take it back to my house. I'd feel awkward eating by myself at the restaurant, hah.

• I don't mind eating by myself at all. I just bring my phone or a book so I don't get bored.

• I've done it, but if I'm dining alone I'd rather just get take out and watch TV or something. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because I get bored.

• Yes, never embarrassed. I don't really like people. I have friends and family and shit but sometimes I'd prefer to just have a little me time.

• I can't bring myself to do it. If I have to eat alone I sit in my car.

• yes.
    But i was never embarrassed.
    Actually i love being alone sometimes. A Break from work and everything. Eating by myself sometimes gives peace.

• Yeah I have. It didn't make me feel uncomfortable. I enjoyed my food just the same.

• No, I do that regularly while on my lunch breaks at work.

• I pretend to talk to my phone a lot... keeps the nerves down...

• a lot of people aren't caught up in what other people think about them, those people are too busy enjoying their meal

• I always eat by myself. It's not embarrassing, I like it.

• Yeah at sushi bars back in college

• I have eaten alone, by myself.

• I'll go eat by myself, no problem, not embarrassed.. It's always more fun with friends though.

• I wouldn't eat by myself, if Im eating alone I eat at home.

• Not really, only once I sat in a cafe

• I have eaten by myself... it feels cool.

• I do it sometimes, but it's not the most comfortable thing in the world.

• No, I'd feel embarrassed

• I never do and never would.