Would you ever eat or drink something past its expiration date?

• Yes i would
  • Absolutely not
  • Depends on how long its been expired
  • Depends on the type of food
  • C and D together

Most Helpful Girl

• My grandma is a hoarder who makes food from 1999. I've gotten sick numerous times because of it. Because of that I won't touch expired food.

Most Helpful Guy

• I always understood those to be "BEST BEFORE" dates and not expiration dates... pretty much everything is still good for anywhere from a day or two upwards of a couple weeks, sometimes longer, past the listed date.

... and things like bread, cheese, veggies, and the like, you can obviously just cut away the bad parts... still good in my opinion.

What Girls Said 27

• I want to say no... but I've eaten cottage cheese a day after it's expiration date.
    Tasted normal and yummy.

vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

• C&D together. You can find a ton of articles that explain that most "expiration" dates that you see on foods are actually "best by" dates. Which does NOT mean that the food is not consumable after the date, only that it is past the date in which it would taste best. If it's in question I usually just do a sniff and small taste test. I rarely let food get to that point anyways, so it's never been a big issue.

• i've done it like 1-3 days after, but then beyond that i won't take anymore precautions. i know that the dates are usually a recommendation, so i try to be mindful of that.

• Yes. The dates are more for the store than for you. 9 times out of 10 it's completely edible. If you're unsure, just smell it! If it smells bad, don't use it.

• Yes. I did 2 minutes ago when I put some old frozen walnut on my ice cream. If it's not too far gone or tofu!!! I will probably try it. Mostly, if it's hard I'll eat it. If it's soft, I won't,

• Yeah, I've done it. Those dates are suggested and not typically an accurate day of when something will expire.

• yes I have.

• Yup, I've done that before.

• ... I've done it.

• I do it all the time... Milk is still good for at least two days past the expired date.

• No I would never do that

• No way! I ain't that ballsy lol but I know my parents wouldn't really care at all to do so

• lol I just did it yesterday with pound cake and it tasted good but the results weren't pretty

• Depends on what it is, how old it is and if it's been opened.

• No!!

• Depends on how long and what it is. Some canned foods last for years.

• Nope, I rather not be puking my guts out. :(

• Depends on how expired and what it is.

• There are some things that will still be good. You just have to check it. Nbd. Haven't gotten food poisoning yet!

• Neve never never

• Hell no.

• C and D but I have done it

• yes i have. the dates are just rough guidelines.

• Sometimes, depends on how many days it has been.

• Yeah I would if it was by a few days or so.

• Nope.. My mom gets so mad, I will throw it away immediately

• No i would not.

What Guys Said 17

• Yes, I would, at least here in Australia and depending upon what the item is.
    Australia's labelling rules are insane. There are arbitrary limits that do not take into account published science.
    For example, for medicines use-by dates of two, three or five years must be used.
    I deal with a range of natural medicines that are dried plant extracts that are in airtight sterile blister trays. These dry extracts could have been buried with the pharaohs and they would still be okay.
    Similar labelling insanity applies to food and drink in Australia.
    Soft drink, for example, must have a use-by date on it.
    Canned food, which should be good for more than a century, must have a use-by date of not greater than five years from the date of manufacture.

• I still have lasagne in the freezer, that was frozen a week after its expiry date. Should be good after a proper microwave blast to kill all the potential bacteria.

• Depends on what it is - the best before date is an advisory, milk doesn't instantly curdle, meat doesn't rot, vegetables don't wither when the clock strikes midnight on the date stamped on the package.

I check it first. If it seems okay, I eat it. If in doubt, throw it out.

• i would and have

• Sure why not, it is like being a food rebel... I don't need no sticking expiration date!

media1.popsugar-assets.com/.../....xxxlarge_2x.jpg

• If the food is an expiration date, not a sell by date, then absolutely no way i'm eating that! It goes in the trash or down the sink.

• Yes, I've done that and I'll do it again.

• Depends on the type of food. Snacks like Twinkies and Hostess cupcakes will last years after their expiration date, but I would not touch anything else.

• Did it countless times with some specific things like mustard. But it depends on what it is and how long it has been. ;)

• I once had Pez Candy 3 years after I bought it, while it technically has an expiration date. I don't think that Pez candy actually goes bad.

• That is disgusting. If something expires, it is no longer good. HOWEVER, there is a major different between best before date and the expiration date.

Use your eyes and nose and tastebuds to tell you if it is still good to eat/drink.

• i´ll just sniff and taste. if it tastes fine, i´ll just eat it.

• Depends on the food and how long it's expired.

• Most of the time it was something like Milk.

• @danielho mouldy milkshake + water baha

• Depends one day maybe but a week fuck nah

• Yeah of course I have so many times. It's just a guideline, if it's still fine there's no reason not to. I remember some golden syrup that was 6 years past it's date, it tasted like treacle but it was still nice