Are you supposed to refrigerate eggs?

I've never done this for 26 years, but a police officer told me its dangerous to leave them in room temperature for consumption

I've never felt anything wrong after eating, but of course I dont leave cracked shell eggs out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm from the UK and I don't know a single person who refrigerates their eggs... we always keep them out and none of us have been ill haha. Mind you it might be down to the difference in temperature and humidity, it's usually cool here, we hardly ever get warm weather. When you buy eggs in supermarkets here they are not refrigerated!

Most Helpful Guy

• I have heard that "Europeans store their eggs at room temperature, while Americans refrigerate them"

So who knows, maybe the eggs are different or Europeans and Americans have different views.

What Girls Said 19

• It depends on how the egg went through processing. Eggs that are fresh off the farm and usually bought directly from farms do not need to be refrigerated. Eggs that are typically bought from the store need to be refrigerated, because they've had a layer of natural protection washed off for cleanliness concerns for consumers.

www.livinghomegrown.com/.../

• I think you have a higher risk of getting salmonella. There's a reason they are in the coolers in grocery stores

• If you buy them from the store, yes. If they are farm fresh eggs and you eat them fairly quickly, then no.

• You've got to be kidding me -__-

• I've always refrigerated my eggs.

• umm yes of course

• I don't think you have to refrigerate them, especially if they are straight from the farm, but they go bad pretty quickly if you don't. But I would say if you BOUGHT them refrigerated, then you should keep them refrigerated.

• Yes, I have always refrigerated my eggs.

• ... there are people who don't refrigerate eg-

I'm out. I'm done.

Done.

• Is this a serious question? It's like not refrigerating milk...
    Of course you do. At least I've always done so.

• I always refrigerate my eggs.

• You are.
    Non refrigerated eggs only last for 2-3 days, after that, it's dangerous for health to eat them... if you refrigerate them they will be preserved up to 10 days.

• Yeah you are supposed to if you want to eat them once in awhile

• Haha in the us we do.. When I went to Peru though they don't refridgerate their milk or eggs. It took me awhile to get used to but it has something to do with how we process our eggs.

• They don't refrigerate their milk? Milk to me must go in the fridge unless it is long life milk. As for eggs we don't put our eggs in the fridge but maybe ours are processed in a different way.

• Scientists have said both ways are alright.

• What? Who leaves eggs out?

• I heard that Europeans leave eggs out so I don't know if their eggs are different or they have different views.

• @Applefan1 I'm European and that doesn't even make sense to me.

• Oh are you. I just read it and it got me thinking I wonder if it is true. I have not made up my mind what I think yet and I was thinking if it is true I wonder why it is true. My mind was still thinking about this one. Have not make any thoughts on that.

• I thought so. Mom always puts them in the fridge.

• Well my mom does put them in the fridge, yes.

• Yes u should

What Guys Said 15

• Eggcelent question! The eggshell is a great barrier against bacteria, however, what if there's a crack and you dont notice? Furthermore, if eggs aren't meant to be refrigerated then why do we have egg holder on fridge doors?

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../..._SX342_.jpg

Anyway no matter what we say there's only one correct answer to this question. Do what you like, you will anyway!

• If you look in the door of a modern fridge they no longer have egg holders.

• Depends on how fresh they are and how long you let them stay. If they are fresh you can easily let them be 1-2 weeks outside without issues.

• Here is the link to a recent article on this topic that explains why eggs aren't refrigerated in some countries:
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../refrigerate-eggs_us_57559c0ce4b0ed593f14f4c4

• Yes you should :P
    Also don't wash them before you crack the eggs , it'll dissolve the protective membrane between the outer shell and inside and drive the bacterial and all sort of gunk inside the egg.
    Old wife tales aren't always accurate.

• Fresh eggs last a long time without refrigeration. No worries. If you Gag from the stench, it's bad. If you don't, chow down.

• Various bacterial such as salmonella that can potentially can cause food poisoning exist on the shells of eggs to some degree... By refrigerating the eggs bellow about 50 F, you slow the growth of said bacteria and thus reduce the risk of potential sickness. It's wise to refrigerate your eggs, but eggs will last a couple of weeks refrigerated if fresh.

• Here we do but I guess it's not surprising that other countries dont. Farmers probably dont. They are fresh eggs usually

• The police officer is right. And place the eggs immediately in the egg holder cups that came with your refrigerator. They stay better that way.

• Yes.

I don't refrigerate ketchup, though.

• Uh yeah

• Why on this earth people are replying

I refrigerate"my" eggs. As if those eggs are layed by them

They should reply i refrigerate eggs!

• ... Maybe Kambo isn't wrong after all...

• I buy eggs in asda and they are not refridgerated there with plenty of fridges so I say your good.

• It's more fun not to. Your stomach is going to thank you for not refrigerating eggs...

• 1. of course!
    2. reread 1 until you fucking remember!