How do I determine the difference between wines?

My current predicament is that i lack a refined pallet. I am only looking for advice or similar circumstances you have found yourself in. Any advice regarding wine tasting or discerning would be helpful.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why not go on a wine tour? They can explain different stuff about wine and teach you how to get a more discerning pallet.

in my opinion you don't have to be an expert to enjoy wine. You just have to enjoy wine :P

But if you are wanting to learn more, go on wine tours. Find out how they make wine, learn about what kinds of things they are doing to distinguish themselves. There are tons of different types of wine, and all are unique.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 6

• The only way to do it is to try different wines and find ones that you like or dislike. Try to give each type of wine at least a couple of tries, since different wines of the same variety can taste very differently. When you find something you like, stick with it.

Try to find out what it is you like about a wine, and what you don't like about a wine. After a while you'll start being able to guess which new wines you might like. But no matter how much you know, it's still just a guess.

Price does NOT mean a wine is good or bad. You might be able to tell the difference between a $7 bottle of wine and a $25 bottle, but then again you might not. You probably want to avoid the cheapest "rock gut", but anything above that may be something you like.

Some easy things to consider are red vs white or sweet vs dry. Learn which you like and which varieties fall into those categories.

But mostly you just have to try them and find what you like.

• I'm pretty sure that there is no difference between wines. Even the super taste testers with supposedly magnificent tongues can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive wine, so I've heard.

Buy the cheapest shit, because it's all the same.

• It seems like there are two groups of people, when it comes to wine: The Experts, that know EXACTLY what this, or that should be, and why it costs $$$$$; Then there are the others, that just want something that tastes good with lasagna, or something that their girlfriend will like!!
    I'm both feet into the camp for the wine that she will like, that I like, that works with our dinner, and if it is less than $10/bottle, more the better!!!

• Pallets are for snobs. The truth of it is that most wine from the same grape pretty much tastes the same.

• I won't be able to help but I guess if you're not an expert it's best to follow your feeling: if you say the wine tastes good, it's a good wine. Life can be simple :D

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more