Why do some people need to have an alcoholic beverage on a daily basis?

My boyfriend usually enjoys some type of alcoholic beverage on the daily.

I know that it is hard for me to understand as i don't drink and i have never liked the taste of alcohol. I remember last time we got sushi he ordered his regular beer AND saki.

He drinks beer while he's at work. He says he can't afford a haircut but can afford beer (unless he is bumming it from someone) and he buys $75 bottles of scotch.

He says he doesn't drink to get drunk but for the enjoyment. I don't really understand this statement.
I do know that both his parents were alcoholics but he does a good job at being a good person.

Is there a point i should ever be worried about his behavior?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's an acquired taste but a nice IPA has a very enjoyable taste.

Here's when you worry, when it starts effecting his:
    -studies
    -legal status (arrest caused by booze')
    -Drivers license (self explanatory)
    -his employment or his ability to do his job.
    -his ability to interact with friends, family, SO (you).

Get him off Scotch, shits nasty and overpriced. It sounds like you don't like him drinking at all.

What Guys Said 16

• I think he might be slowly becoming a chronic drinker and alcoholic.

You did say daily basis? He's unwilling to ever skip a single day without a beer or saké?

Drinking on the job too? and a $75 for scotch? Was that a single bottle or multiple bottles btw?

If his pattern changes, and he isn't always having more alcohol volume increased any further and frequently than where he currently is at now, or if he decreases it then he may be ok. If it creases significantly and you see him start to get drunk more frequently then you should be worried. He's probably going through something in his mind right now but is in denial of it and not want to let you know the whole truth. It could be he is unhappy with how his parents were alcoholics, or stress from his job that causes him to want to drink on a daily basis in the first place.

• He owns his own business and often works into the night

• It's called 'liquid courage' and it tastes better, has a more virile image than benzodiazepam.

image.yayimages.com/.../...hol-sketch-14930229.jpg

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...112e3d4daa.jpg

• Alcohol has a relaxing effect, and for me puts me in a good mood.

I wouldn't say he is an alcoholic based on what u said, although drinking at work is rather peculiar.

• Well it sounds like something an alcoholic would say.

• He is addicted and dependent on alcohol.
    It takes time and guts to fix this problem.
    But he is too dependent because his body is used to it and it would take a long for him unpleasant process to get to the state prior to alcoholic dependency.

• he's an alcoholic. There's no need to drink at work. He needs his fix

• It's just a way of de-stressing. Alcohol is actually good for you in moderation :)

• Beer taste good but I would never drink it every day.

• Why do people need a daily wank?

• a mild case of alcoholism

• I hate beer.
    But if its ruining your wallet then he needs to cut back.
    And usually if your parents are alcoholics then the kid will become one. Maybe when your boyfriend gets older or he is turning into one slowly.
    (It's sake, not saki.)

• They might have a lot of stress. My dad drinks everyday because of his stressful job.

• Suppressing memories or addictive personality.

• they're losers.

• u just need to find something u like. girls tend to like fruity drinks. have u tried a margarita?

• I was like him. We even drank at work BUT it was part of the job going with the guys or sitting alone. I would also do the Saki thing too. That's part of a 20 somethings life.
    I just decided enough was enough.
    What would concern me is his parents are alcoholics. Will he one day decide to tone it down, get a DUI, or just keep at it?
    There's nothing much you can say or do.

• He's 33

• Well same applies BUT he's probably been doing it for a decade or more. I was in my 30's when I decided that's it for me. Some guys at work were 50's & 60. I'm not too sure about their home life.
      Some guys did get DUI's went to AA or rehab, whatever was ordered. They went only because they had to. It didn't stop them.
      Point being unfortunately it may be your decision. The parents thing is concerning.

What Girls Said 4

• My dad did this for most of his life, he just had a few beers after work. Most people do it to relax after work.

If he is getting sloshed every night I'd say it's an issue. If it's just a few a night? Not such a problem but keep a close eye on it.

• It can be healthy in certain doses and people just like the taste of it.

• Whether or not he admits it he has a drink problem. I have one myself it's not always people who have lost their jobs and so on. Try suggesting aa to him x good luck

• Yes you should be worried. It is not good to drink on a daily basis. It can cause health problems, it's expensive, and it can really change a person.