I want to become vegetarian but my mom doesn't support my decision?

I get that the only way for the animal kingdom to survive is to eat other animals, but since there are so many people in the world we need to breed animals to eat. And it doesn't happen always, but a lot of times the animals are abused. I don't want to support that. Plus, when I eat meat my stomach hurts and I stop eating. As a result I skip a lot of meals and It's not healthy. She's just saying no to a healthier diet. Help.

Most Helpful Guy

• Any particular reason your mom won't support it? That's your decision regardless. She should respect it but if she won't help you then just don't eat it, ie if she's cooked steak, potatoes and corn, eat the potatoes and corn only or make your own meals. Chances are she won't be too offended if you are already skipping meals and she'll know that you are serious about it.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you want to become a vegetarian you will no longer have to rely on your mum to cook you meals, and you will have to make them yourself, meal prep would save your time and you can just grab and go. Over time when I was younger my mum started to make things meat free when I was a vegetarian.

What Guys Said 3

• I just tell people.
    It's better for you,
    better for animals,
    better for the environment,
    And I personally find 90% of meat to be EWWW.

Fuck what your mother thinks/supports.
    Drop some facts on the bitch. Tell Em! 😎

• Tell your father, if even he doesn't support you, then convince them. It's not like you're planning to get married or something (hell, yeah check out its hot question)

• Can't really do much on this end.

What Girls Said 9

• I had the same problem when I changed. It took time but you can show her the truth of how these animals are always abused. Whether its in meat production or anything that comes from animals there is plenty of evidence of abuse. Show her and she most likely will come around and agree. My family did and I'm free to have my vegan diet.

• Well at the end of the day she's the one buying your food and cooking for you.
    So you really want to try it just avoid the meat parts.

• Try explaining how meat affects you're body. If she still doesn't listen, then just accept her opinion but do what you want to do. If she has a legitimate reason besides "just no", make sure to tell her you respect her opinion but you don't agree with it when it comes to your personal diet. Remember that if you do become a vegetarian that you will probably have to make your own meals since she doesn't seem like she would be willing to make two different dishes for meals. Also remember when you are explaining your reasons try to stay logical and don't get emotional! She won't listen to you if she feels you are just being emotional. Don't force her to see your opinion, and don't start showing her stories about abused animals. Unless she asks to see these stories, you would only annoy her and it won't help your situation. Hopefully in time she'll see, good luck!

• You shouldn't have to have permission to eat what you want, and your mom shouldn't be able to dictate what you eat. If you don't like meat, don't eat it.

• What I do in my family is: say you're making pasta, add all the ingredients except the meat and cook the meat separately. Take out a portion off the pasta without the meat then add the meat for the rest of your family. Your parents will come around, most likely they're just worried a change in diet will make you sick or unhealthy. I experienced a similar reaction. 😊

• Cook your own food. There's really no other way around it.

• Substitute meat with beans and rice, they are really cheep.

• She can't force you to

• Well, you're 15, just make your own meals.