Why do humans drink milk?

I have been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come to the conclusion that drinking cow milk and goat milk (etc) is unnatural for humans to do.

If you really think about it, humans get pregnant, nine months later have a baby, breastfeed, then, you know, after a few years we no longer have a need for milk, ESPECIALLY not the milk of another species.. that's just weird.

Yes, it is said dairy provides calcium and such, but based on research, I've learned that because of the acidity of milk, it actually leeches out the calcium from our BONES (aka the largest source of calcium in our body!!) The most dairy consumption is in the U. S., yet, you would think they would have healthy bones, right? No, actually. They have the highest rate of osteoporosis!

It's weird. Society tells us that we need these foods, but it just seems to me that dairy should not be in our diet at all. It's meant for a baby cow, why why why why do humans take the baby's milk? It makes no sense! Don't you see that it's all about money?

I just want to thank those who took the time to comment, especially in a calm and polite matter.

If you haven't before, I recommend trying almond, cashew, oat, flax, hazelnut, coconut, etc milk. I especially like cashew (the one I buy has more calcium than dairy). :3 You could try soy too, just make sure it's organic and all..

If this question got you thinking, which I hope it did, maybe the documentary Forks Over Knives will interest you. It relates to health. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Humans don't need milk, except for infants. But milk is rich in fat and some nutrients so it used to be something the elites drank (or made into cheese/butter) in ancient times when it was difficult to get those calories and nutrients in other ways. Because the elites did this it became fashionable and as the price dropped it became a normal thing for everyone even though these days there are plenty of cheap alternatives and people require less calories than they used to because of our modern inactive lifestyles. It's the same with red meat really.

Most Helpful Girl

• I sometimes think about who might have been the first crazy motherfucker that had the idea of sucking on a cows udder...

• Lol same. I suppose it was for the sake of survival before all of this.. exploitation.

What Guys Said 13

• Its simple

The benefits STILL outweight the bad... if there really any. Sure lactose intolerant, muscus buildup... certain things might make certain condtions worse. But on average cows milk is pretty good for you

You have to understand, we should be eating beef and drinking milk from grass fed cows. However that has long be gone and changed to grain fed cows.

• Can you please tell me why we need dairy? Because I've met a lot of people who have given it up and are still alive. Just saying...

• Awesome, ill def check it out and write back to you about it

• Thanks for the open mind. :)

• We drink milk because even though we don't need it it's still healthy. There's a lot of things we don't need but we eat or do them anyways because of enjoyment or for health, and for whatever reason there doesn't always have to be a need for things. I've done my research and I believe human milk is much more beneficial for us but many ignorant folks will disagree with me since they feel as though that idea is very taboo or just weird even though it's still healthy. Human milk is more bio-available for us. Anyways, I don't know how or why we started drinking milk from other animals but I can make a guess. As the child of a woman gets older they are no longer fed milk and so the milk in the breasts will diminish since they are no longer being used. This happens rather fast and since we know that milk is healthy, we turn to our farm where milk is being fed and used everyday and never going away. Just a hypothesis of mine.

• Who is this "society" you're referring to? You mean meat & dairy companies that purchase media buys and market their products to the masses in order to increase sales?

Welcome to America. Keep critical thinking skills in your holster, you're gonna need them.

• Let's face it. Dairy products are up in our faces everywhere we turn to. I may stand alone in this but it's important to me. You may not care and take what I say into consideration, but please think about it. :)

• @TakeMaker

Learn to make points.

• learn to not be a hypocrite... and chill out on the dairy defence. Unless I'm mistaken you're not a cow, don't take it so seriously...

• I think milk started as an opportunity when food was more scarce about 10,000 years ago. I agree that it's probably not particularly healthy for most of us. Some are more adapted to digest it better and tolerate it for longer periods of time.

I'm not an expert on milk but I think it's mostly sugar water (lactose) that I doubt many of us digest efficiently due to our much shorter digestion tract than cows, plus saturated animal fat, that's heated (processed) which kills the beneficial bacteria so that it won't spoil as fast while in the store and in our fridges. Calcium is it's biggest attribute but the importance of calcium is still pretty unknown. I think the general recommendation for calcium is based on the values but hurting and may potentially help.

• I meant "is based on the values NOT hurting and may potentially help us.

• I reckon that people simply got thirsty, noticed that cows had a lot of milk in them, and decided to give that a try, and it was tasty enough.

If you want to nitpick at diets and in general the foods we consume, and how they "destroy" our species, better start at fast food chains lol. Milk is relatively harmless.

• Lol don't get me wrong, I avoid eating at fast food chains, and so should everyone else if they are concerned about their health. But saying milk is harmless is, well, I'll have to strongly disagree. What with all of the cholesterol and saturated fat and all... But thank you for commenting nonetheless.

• omg we must ban all milk

• Hahahaha :(

• My blood is MEANT for me, but leeches and mosquitos still NEED it. Your baby cow argument in invalid.

Pfff. Naturalistic fallacy.

• That's not the same comparison though. Mosquitoes and leaches evolved and are designed to eat blood. Some humans (not every culture) just started drinking cows milk as a small part of their diet within 10,000, but humans have been hunter gatherers for a million or more years.

• "Wildness" can be relatively generational. A feral dogs domesticated pups won't be nourished from broccoli. Cows have been breed by us to produce more milk and meat. Domesticated cows have the same lactose sugar molecule their feral ancestors have. I've seen no evidence that we've influenced the lactose in terms of it being a disaccharide.

I wasn't trying to say evolution works by design. The mosquitoes and leaches adapted (if you prefer that word) over time just like some of us have to digest milk better. Still we don't have stomachs optimized for milk like a cow, feral or domesticated lol.

Some people can catabolize milk to varying degrees. There's some evidence many of us don't do it well and unhealthy gut flora is eating what we don't. There are some enzymes already in milk so any animal theoretically could digest some of the milk. I'm not an expert on milk though.

• @cavmanier Now you're talking some sense. But supposing all of that is true, and I suspect it is, it is not an argument against eating dairy, unless you cannot metabolize it (lactose intolerant).

It's a source of nutrition that can be produced in abundance, therefore relatively cheaply, and tastes good. Like eggs. (Lets not have the same discussion about eggs).

Human breast milk contains lactose. So any argument about the lactose content of cow's milk is irrelevant.

• Silly little girl with her silly little vegan logic.

• When did I ever say I was vegan? I noticed that you haven't come up with an argument against this. This just furthers my beliefs.

• Because milk is good and people would feel... off about drinking packaged human milk - so we turn to cows.

• i would drink it straight from the source man, this human milk. seems like best thing to me. no packages which better on the environment, and you dont need to transport it all over the place thats causes less traffic. from the nipple straight to the boob thats how i want it.

• Have you ever given them a chance? Lol I've also found out that cow milk has pus, blood, and fecal matter in it to a certain degree. :( Not to mention all of the saturated fat and cholesterol...

• @anonman32 When I was a baby, I loved my mom's milk. BOMB.

• Wtf... you understand entire cultures survived off dairy right? Europe relied on dairy to avoid famine for centuries and the use of milk as a food source dates back to 9000 BC.

• This has no relevance as to why we still drink it today when there are other foods we can eat. Come on, man. 😕

• Do you really think college is going to educate people on why they shouldn't drink milk? And just because we've been doing something for thousands of years does NOT mean it is natural. Cow milk is for baby cows. It just makes sense. I implied that the consumption of dairy leads to osteoporosis. Did you even read what I wrote? Milk is naturally acidic. Instead of giving us calcium, it leeches it from our bones to balance our pH, leading to porous bones. And now you're saying it's more convenient to buy milk I guess? And honestly, no one "sold" me on this, I just began to think about it. Also, please refrain from cursing. Thanks. :) I do not want to argue. Just do some research and look up the side effects of dairy consumption.

• Milk is slightly acidic with a PH of 6.7 with 7 being netueral. Under your logic most grains, meats, and Sugars should also be removed from the human diet since they have a much lower PH level than milk. Hell, fucking Beer has a PH of 4.0. I bet you didn't even go to the NOF website or any real medical org did you? Do you even understand what PH is fucktard? Just another fucking POS trump supporting anti-education dumbass trying to spread his idiot to everyone else. A food we've been using for thousands of year isn't "natural" like humans haven't evolved to digest it. Fuck. I guess grain isn't a natural food either since deer eat it. Better cut out the meat because humans were never carnivores. Idiot. Like you've never eaten deli meat or at McDonalds. That's unnatural.

• That's a stupid question

• why do bears steal honey?

• I've only seen cartoon bears take honey and for whatever reason I haven't a clue.

• no thanks, i think i will stay with my paleo diet.

• Alright, well thanks for being polite throughout this conversation. :)

• yep, cos thousands of years ago, people drunk milk for money...#haha

• I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about now. We LITERALLY have 0 need for dairy. I get why you may be skeptical, we've been fed dairy since we were kids. We've been told we need it to build strong bones. But that's just not the case.

• Milk is supposed to grow a baby calf into a giant cow within a short period of time! Though it may have a few health benefits, it's not healthy overall. Please watch the documentary Forks Over Knives. :)

• since calves still exist, and cattle still exists, it's not harming them. and it's only modern intensive farming that harms them. fact is cows milk isn't harmful, and is a stable around the world

• Did you know that in Mexico people believe that semen and milk is the same thing so they use a man's ejaculate as in ingredient in food when cow's milk isn't available.

WTF?

• No, I did not know that! Haha XD thanks for sharing.

What Girls Said 10

• Saying its unnatural is kind of a strange thing to say? Technically, it requires husbandry, and therefore could not have occured in the state of nature. But neither could growing crops - it's as unnatural to eat maize, bread, and beetroot as it is to drink milk.

I think the reason is very simple: humans began drinking milk because we found out we could do so. How many drinks did early people have, really? Water? Not much else? Agriculture brought the possibility of new drinks and food types. People made beer pretty early on, probably tea and so on. Milk was one of the earliest to be used, apparently. Probably because it has some significant advantages; it has a lot of carbohydrates compared to other drinks, and its filling, so it would give you a lot of energy and prevent you for getting hungry. Pretty useful in those hard early years of agriculture, where you lived or died by the success of your crops. It was also readily available pretty much whenever - other drinks go off, or take a long time to grow the crops for or ferment, but with milk you just have to milk the cow.

As far as its negative effects, it's probably not a big deal either way. We are always hearing about the negative effects of this or that particular food, or the positive effects of this or that particular food. The main thing is food variety, as I understand. Milk is okay, we've been drinking since around 4000 BCE, I think our BONES are gonna be okay.

I agree that it's all about the money, though ><

• Thanks for your input! I've read that people used cow's milk as a source of food before, it just puzzles me that we continue to consume it now when we don't need to.. you know?

• Yeah, I understand. I guess its just that it never occured to people to give it up. Keep agitating and maybe you'll be the reason future humans don't drink milk ;)

• Thanks for your support. :D

• Why do human even eat? Shame on them {!}

• i've read those studies too.

we should all eat shells for calcium

• Babies and children really need milk when they're growing, after about three years though their tolerance for dairy diminishes.

The western world has a crazy addiction to dairy. I only realised this when I gave it up completely a few years ago... I was so fucking miserable... I do eat dairy now but a lot less than I did. Can't do cows milk most of the time though.

As far as I'm aware, cows milk in America has a lot of shit in it that shouldn't be in there. Hormones and chemicals are used to produce more milk but also produce large cysts in the cows udders. That fluid gets in with the milk... also other things to treat the milk with, but as with a lot of food from the US it is seriously over treated. Coming from a country that has to refrigerate its eggs because they've fucked with them so much it doesn't surprise me the milk is also full of things that don't need to be there.

• in japan we add antibiotics to eggs because everyone likes to eat them raw on rice (except me)

• Please be weary of your choices. :)

• Oops, I mean wary.

• The milk people drank in ancient times are not the same of what current milk tastes like. Its been pasteurized and processed too much.

Well drinking in small amounts once in a while won't hurt but drinking it daily, it's defo a health issue.

• I switched to almond milk years ago

• I'll google translate the caveman history here
    - "Hey Bill that fat thing over there has soft round point things like Ulga. I'm jealous of the baby do you think that thing has the same stuff Ulga does?"
    - "What the hell Bill... Aww fuck it go ahead"
    Anyways people probably started drinking it because we were thirsty, it tasted good, and it i babies drink it #FuckItWeCanToo
    It continued on probably as tradition then was encorporated into delicous foods and is now a huge industry. I don't mind the entire whole other species thing, it's whatever. I would drink it but it tends to fatten you up and I can't consume dairy anyways

• That sounds about right haha.

• Abu Huraira reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was presented two cups at Bait al-Maqdis on the night of Heavenly Journey, one containing wine and the other containing milk. He looked at both of them, and be took the one containing milk, whereupon Gabriel (peace be upon him) said: Praise is due to Allah Who guided you to the true nature; had you taken the one containing wine, Your Umma would have gone astray.

Milk is good, lol

• People like the taste of milk, so... they drink it.

• To answer your actual question...

Because much of the world is still largely agrarian and the western world - especially America has been post agrarian for less than a century. Customs - generally rooted in basic survival - don't fade out that quickly.