Do you ever tip if you go and pick up take-out or carry-out food yourself?

• Yes, I leave a normal tip on the bill
  • Yes, but I leave only a small tip on the bill
  • No, I came and got the food... why would I tip?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 7

• I let them keep the left over change

• I only do it for places where I'm a regular and they hook me up with discounts.

Otherwise, no.

• Only when I dine in

• This may seem like a bad habit but.

I never tip in any circumstance.

ONLY IF SOMETHING WAS REALLY REALLY GOOD, then I will consider it.

• Right, but, you don't live in the States. (The asker is anon, but it's obvious from the question that she is American.) Tipping isn't expected in EU countries.

• @redeyemindtricks Yeah, I did read about it being really important there.

• Yeah -- A lot of service occupations here in the US are actually paid well below the minimum wage, with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. It's fucked up, tbh.

Most people *do* understand the basic etiquette of tipping, and so the workers do end up making around what they'd expect... but, still, I think it'd make more sense to have a system like, well, the rest of the world.

• No i never tip.

• Yes, I leave a normal tip on the bill

• Yeah put my damn tip in her. Oh Wrong tip. talkin Money tip? Uummm yeah, you have 5$. And another one. And another one. And another one. I would.

What Girls Said 7

• My family only tips at restaurants. If they just grab food and go, they don't tip. They always leave tips when they sit down and eat a meal, though, since my mother is a waitress and understands how hard they work. It's just common courtesy.

Fast food places? Nah, no tips.

• I may tip, it really depends. If I am picking up the food, and they just got it ready for me, I may not tip. Usually though I try to tip, especially if they were very fast about getting the food ready and I got great service.

• When I pick it up, no, unless they did something special like leave the green peppers out of chow mein. Like others here have said, I will put any reasonable amount of change I get back in a tip jar.

• Yeah. I leave a little tip, but mostly because I usually pay with a credit card and the line for a tip is right there so it feels awkward not to write something in lol.

• If there's a tip jar on the counter, I usually throw in my coin change.

• I do in my local sandwich shop. The girls work hard, they make me good lunches. If they make me crap sandwiches I don't tip though... but that's rare.

• Why would I leave a tip if I picked it up myself.