If I were to eat 80 calories a day. Would I survive?

I am just curious if that would be enough to survive. I think the average amount of calories a day is 1,200 for women i think and I'm not sure for men. Like in a case of for example being stranded on an island or in a zombie apocalypse and only eatting that much intake of calories a day. Would you survive?

3mo For how long would an average person survive?
3mo I know an average person can live up to 3 weeks with no food and 3 days with out water. From what I have been told.

Most Helpful Guy

• Recommended daily recommendations aren't "average".
    They are what you should eat to avoid dietary deficiencies and subsequent impacts on your health.

So if you don't have much of fat reserves to speak of, and you eat less than that you ARE eventually going to lose muscle mass, and slowly but surely develop complications that would result in organ failure and death.

That being said, if you got stranded on a deserted island.
    You could get way more than that by just eating plants and tree bark.
    Humans can eat a lot of things that animals can, it isn't going to be the most palatable or digestible but a lot of things have nutritional values.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, your body will be so starved, that it would start to eat away at your muscle mass. You may even go into fatigue and pass out. And when you start to eat normally again, you will start to gain weight because your body would be use to consuming only 80 calories. You would end up gaining weight in the long run if you were to do this awhile then suddenly starting to eat again. It is extremely unhealthy for you to do.

But I guess if you were stranded on an island like you state in your question, it would much better than you not eating at all, so I guess. You would need some sort of liquid to drink so you don't get dehydrated though. You can't drink sea water because of the salt and it would pull all of the liquid out of your cells.

What Guys Said 4

• 80 cals a day is starvation. You wouldn't last many days. Once any fat is used up, then it's the turn of muscles. Once they are well gone, and you can barely move, then internal organs begin to shutdown.

Depending on your height, weight and metabolism, you should be having nearer 2,000 cals a day.

• why u want to know this, its so wield. you have known the answer !

• I don't think so

• If you drank the rest of your RDA, then maybe. If not, then hell no.

What is RDA?-

Recommended Daily Allowance. by the way, the recommended amount of calories a day for women is actually 2000, not 1200.

Ah. If you know whats the least amount an average person can survive on both male and female?

What Girls Said 13

• Oh definitely no. Couple of days at max.

• If you get a chance, watch the survival shoe Naked and Afraid... it will show you exactly how fast a male and female body deteriorate in 21 days without the proper intake of calories. It's not just your body that suffers, it also effects your mind.

• I don't recommend that at all. Eventually, your body would give out because you're not getting enough nutrients, though I'm not sure how that long would take.

• No, that's not enough to survive.

• Even 1200 calories is extremely low unless you are completely inactive (sitting the whole day). A normal average for an active girl is more between 1800 and 2000.

• It depends on how long you mean by survive. A week? Yeah, you could survive. A year? No.

• You can but not for an extended period of time. Your body needs more water than anything and you can only go without water for 3 days. Why are you trying to starve yourself anyway?

• hell no

• Nope.

• You would be extremely weak at the least. Definitely don't try it.

• No...

• Uhm, no

• No you wouldn't. Do not do that please.

I won't. I promise