Do you believe if something is not sweet on its own, it's savory by default?

For example: oatmeal.
It's not sweet on its own - so it's meant to be savory naturally.

• Yes, I do think so.
  • Nah, I love putting sugary things on everything!
3mo P. S.
I didn't mean is SHOULD be savory every time, but that it's natural state is savory.
It seems more and more people think that things that are bland are better off served as sweet than savory.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you can exactly classify it like that. For me it's more about cultural traditions and how given foods are used.

For instance crackers and oatmeal are both similarly mild in their basic state, but for me it's traditional to put sugar on oatmeal, but savory things on crackers, and doing the opposite would be odd, for me.

It's sort of about expectation, and it can change.

When I was young, for instance, I put sugar in coffee. I stopped doing so around age 21, and at first found it odd, but adapted in a month or so. By a few years later, if someone gives me coffee with sugar, my initial response is -disgust-. I probably won't drink it, if I was going to, i'd have to sort of tell myself 'it's a coffee flavored sweet drink', because when I sip coffee I anticipate bitterness with no sugar.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, but not for the reason listed. There's such a thing as neutral. Oatmeal by itself completely with no additives is neutral. It's not salty and it's not spicy so it can't be savory. It's like water, water isn't sweet or savory it's neutral.

What Guys Said 7

• I think breaking things down in this black and white kind of way is dull. With oatmeal it's rather bland on its own without any seasoning, and you can potentially work it both ways.

A lot of interesting recipes cut savory with sweet, or vice versa. Example: cheesecake (savory main ingredient made sweet) or pumpkin soup (sweet ingredient often made more savory).

P. S.

I see. I think you can work it both ways to interesting effect, like using broth with oatmeal and add vegetables, cheese, etc., or go sweet route more with fruit, sugar. I don't really know how to think of it in a natural state, seems interesting enough to me both ways.

• No, I don't think so, some types of food are neutral, they can be used as sweet or savory, basically, it depends on individual taste. Some people like salty food, others prefer sour, or hot & spicy food. The same goes for sweet, for example, some "weird" people (from my point of view) like sweet cheese, I can't stand it because, for me - cheese is suppose to be salty.

• Sweet (sugar) and savory (salt) are preferences that can be applied to any type of food. Oatmeal sucks plain. Shit is grul. Most people add sweet but you can add salted butter, bacon, whatever. Oatmeal, like rice and tofu, has no real taste so you can do whatever you want with it. Try it with salsa, refrained beans and poached eggs.

• yes i do

• No, if it's not sweet, it's not savory (by definition)

• No - there is neutral and inbetween

P. S.

• There is no that kinda connection between sweet and savory

What Girls Said 1

• As long as it's good lol