What would happen if a person drank a gallon of water in one setting?

Long story short, my 4th grade teacher told me and my classmates that there was a lasy that died from drinking too many glasses of water. I mean, i've seen people at school with milk jugs with water in it for sports, but they drink that through out the day. But what would happen if it were in ine setting?

Most Helpful Guy

• Too much water has the potential to flush electrolytes (sodium, potassium.)

In hyponatremia, the level of sodium in blood is too low. A low sodium level has many causes, including consumption of too many fluids, kidney failure, heart failure, cirrhosis, and use of diuretics. At first, people become sluggish and confused, and if hyponatremia worsens, they may have muscle twitches and seizures and become progressively unresponsive.

The diagnosis is based on blood tests to measure the sodium level. Restricting fluids and stopping use of diuretics can help, but severe hyponatremia is an emergency requiring use of drugs, intravenous fluids, or both.

www.merckmanuals.com/.../hyponatremia-low-level-of-sodium-in-the-blood

* * *

In hypokalemia, the level of potassium in blood is too low. A low potassium level has many causes but usually results from vomiting, diarrhea, adrenal gland disorders, or use of diuretics.

A low potassium level can make muscles feel weak, cramp, twitch, or even become paralyzed, and abnormal heart rhythms may develop. The diagnosis is based on blood tests to measure the potassium level. Usually, eating foods rich in potassium or taking potassium supplements by mouth is all that is needed.

www.merckmanuals.com/.../hypokalemia-low-level-of-potassium-in-the-blood

Most Helpful Girl

• Two friends of mine had a drinkning water-competition actually. Now I don't know how much they actually drank or why they did it but they both ended up throwing up all over the kitchen floor. I wasn't there to witness it, thank god.

What Guys Said 7

• It depends on how tall that person is, but in general it is a bad idea. While it would probably not lead to death, it IS very dangerous. I know that a student died during his hazing at a university due to drinking extreme amounts of water.

As for how much you actually need to drink, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwdqFHBaPwY

• Yeah, en.wikipedia.org/.../Water_intoxication
    abcnews.go.com/.../story?id=8970712
    A mother of three did a radio station contest called hold your wee for a wii (you know, back when the wii was something that was sold out everywhere when it first came out)
    The contest was to drink as much water as possible without urinating, and she ended up dying. From Water Intoxication. So her kids could get a Wii.
    Long story short, her family sued the radio and won and got 15 million or so

• Depends how you drank it, if you spaced it out and used toilet over a couple of hours, you would be fine - Chugged it in half an hour , could be problems - DEFINITELY DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME - If you drink faster than you can process it, you may drown literally.

• Yes one can die from water poisoning also called hyponatremia (insufficient sodium). For most people, a gallon would likely be OK but I wouldn't risk it especially if I was lightweight.

• Your blood would get watered down. Which in turn would cause all sort of shit.

• Yeah. It's really really dangerous.

Having said that, I have an annual mahjong game where we play for shots of water, but I have a doctor on hand to supervise/participate.

• It's called a wash out. Depending on the person it could kill you.

What Girls Said 0