Is it bad that I don't eat school lunch?

When it's time for lunch, I don't even go to the cafeteria. I walk through the hallways and meet up with my friends who have different class schedules than me, then when the period's over, I just go to class.

I I wait to eat when I get home, which is usually Greek yogurt, popcorn, or fruit, then I eat dinner. I think my school's lunch is disgusting and unhealthy, and one of the culprits to why I got so fat during middle school. Is this bad? Should I eat it anyways?

• Yes! Go and eat lunch.
  • No, it's good. School lunches are disgusting anyway.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• And this is why I am so glad we don't have school lunch here. I remember watching Jamie Oliver's show about the cafeteria food in the US, looks disgusting. I don't blame you for not wanting to eat it, but maybe you should bring your own lunch instead?

They don't serve food in yr schools? What do they do for students who don't bring a lunch?

@rainbowfangirl -- For people who've struggled with their weight, the BEST possible plan is to eat relatively little food (or even fast) during the earlier part of the day, and then to eat the biggest meal -- especially in terms of carbohydrates -- at the END of the day.
      Here's one relevant study:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

The idea that meals early in the day are "important" is pretty much bullshit, and dates back to the history of the US as an agricultural country. For farmers who were going to spend all day toiling in the fields, breakfast WAS "the most important meal of the day".
      For anyone else -- it isn't.
      Europeans eat small lunches, and even smaller breakfasts (in fact, the French word for "breakfast" literally means "little lunch"), and eat BIG dinners sometimes as late as midnight-ish -- and Europeans aren't

@redeyemindtricks Welcome :)
      Oh yeah haha, usually when someone has you over for a barbeque, you say 'Cheers mate, and I'll bring the meat!' The amount of times I hear that statement lol

Thank you for mhg :)

What Guys Said 44

• Thank you young lady 😊

Whether to eat or not is your decision entirely so long as your systems cooperate with you.

They say lunch is important cause you tend to be mobilising your body through rest of the day. Supper on the other hand needs being light cause you may just sleep after that.

Also that longer periods of not eating tends to accumulate fat in the body - something you may want considering 😊

• If you take a good breakfast and a good dinner, you could get away with it I think.
    If you barely eat breakfast than you could be starving your body which is not a good idea. Your body will react with disturbed processes which will eventually make you develop symptoms :o

• Well you could always just bring your own lunch lol also it's important to eat right just as it is to eat often, because going hungry is worse for you then eating something bad.

just take your own lunch, go old school, hand held lunch bag with an ice pack.

• No, it's not bad at all. Even I don't eat outside food so it's not unusual.

• The lunch the serve at school is usually unhealthy... you should just bring something from home, no reason to go hungry while you're there.

What should I bring :)

Umm... anything you like lol, water, apple, sandwich or salad... maybe even the greek yogurt if you have a way to keep it from getting hot :P

• Nah I don't have any school lunch, I have a fairly big breakfast then 5 hours late lunch comes around I go to the gym then finish school and have a big dinner, as long as you get sufficient nutrition by the end of the day it doesn't matter when it is.

• No, it's not bad. But you should eat A lunch. Even if it's one you bring from home. Bring something from home. That way, you won't starve until you get home. I understand if the food as school is disgusting and unhealthy, but you should eat something - even if it's an apple and something else.

• There's nothing inherently wrong about it. You have a right to do so, no?

• No, it's not bad at all, if you don't like the school lunches (I never liked them either) :P

• You're a young girl and probably not big size wise. I think you're fine, you can probably get away with a breakfast snack and a late lunch.

As an adult my first meal of the day is usually around 2-3 pm anyways. It's fine.

• The body functions better when fed at certain points of the day. But so long as you are eating enough to supply your activity, I don't think it is vital to eat lunch.

It's more about what you eat, not when. The body will adapt to a degree.

• I always had a packed lunch so I rarely ate the cafeteria food

• I would not eat Michelle Obama's shit on a plate prison food either.

• Maybe bring some fruit and eat the fruit during your break or lunch.

• Pack your lunch if you dont want school food
    Thats too long to go withot food
    Especially if you're trying to lose weight
    Basically, your bodybwill store fat instead of burn it because it doesn't know when you're going to be eating mext, so you're not going to lose weight

• I never ate at school because the smell alone was already so disgusting that I didn't even wanna try. but I went out with friends grab something else... eating nothing at all is probably not the best idea

at least bring a sandwich or something like that

• I agree with you school lunches are not really healthy
    First Lady Michelle Obama has been working on making
    this better and so far some things have improved but i do
    credit her for all she was able to do but school lunches wasn't
    good and healthy when I was a teen in Middle school i really
    never ate lunch especially in High school either maybe a salad.

• My college lunches are delicious, but if school lunches made you fat, and the foods you'd rather eat are healthy ones like those, then keep on doing what you're doing.

• I don't see why it would be bad. You're probably adding a few extra years to your life by NOT eating the school lunch lol

• Bring a lunch from home. I think you should be feeding your body with nutrients since you're still growing. Just eat well

• No, I also used to be one of those skippers xD

• I sayeat something, even if it is just a piece of fruit and u give the rest away!

• You should probably eat. I always chilled in the nurses office

• My school don't even offer launch
    #ThirdworldProblems 😂😂😂

• I don't think it's good or bad as long as you're eating enough. I used to skip school lunch too.

• Take lunch from home
    You shouldn't be hungry

• Our school caf is prettt nice, with high quality and somewhat expensive food. I'd feel fine eating mine but it seems like a far cry from yours, don't touch that unhealthy slop lol.

• If you dont feel its needed then dont eat it. I personally eat my first meal of the day at around 2 p. m and i like it that way

• School lunch was always pretty bad. If you go to college the food gets better trust me.

• There are two different things ,
    Were you hungry? And didn't eat because of cafeteria?
    Or
    You were not?
    Anyhow you should eat.😋

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 58

• I must Agree, @RainbowFanGirl, Lunches have Changes Bunches... Since I was in School.
    My lunches were Always delicious, Nutritious, and if There was Something I didn't Like, Mom would Pack me a Bagged lunch, which was Not often. Many students too were Allowed at lunch, to Leave and Walk down Street to Eat.
    Since Obama's wife took Over with the Menu, it is Heard tell Like feeding Slop to a Sow. Would her Own little Angels Eat this Stuff? Enough.
    If you Feel it is a Bad deal, either Pack a few Things to Tie you Over until you get Home, Or until the bell Rings, Go it Alone.
    Good luck and Great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

• I don't think it's good to skip lunch and not eat anything, however, I can definitely agree that most school lunches are unhealthy and disgusting. I would recommend just packing your lunch. Bring some healthy foods and snacks you can eat so that way, you're eating something that is good for you and you won't be missing the meal all together.

• I always enjoyed school lunch. I was the type to grab at my friend's plate if they didn't finish, but even then, there were tons of countless that didn't eat lunch. They either brought their own lunches, skipped eating entirely, or just sat at the table and barely ate to be in the company of friends.

• Take ur own lunch in.. buy a little lunch cold bag and put your yoghurt in that and eat it at lunch or even at your break/snack time

• It makes sense that you don't eat anything from the school cafeteria. But it is also important to eat so you have energy that can sustain you out for the rest of the school hours. Maybe pack some fruit from home or a sandwich of your choice. That way you do have something instead of just not eating until you get home.

• No, most school lunches are like that - greasy and tasteless, just gross. I never ate lunch at my school and it wasn't even bad it was just drowning in fat and oils, my body can't even digest that so I'd get sick if I eat there. I would usually just bring an apple or some cherry tomatoes to school that I'd have instead.

• It's not good or bad, it is what it is. If you don't like the lunch, don't eat it. If your mom is paying for it, it's something of a waste of money-but not all school lunch is yummy, depending on where you are the lasagna can be a pool of grease and cheap beef, the tacos also same deal, I get it.
    I'm in the middle-I can't judge you for not eating. :)

• I never ate anything in the cafeteria because I didn't want to spend the money there. I prepared a sandwich and cheese & crackers each day and packed it with me to school. Just eating that would help curb my snacking later on.

• No, but I think that it would be better if you took lunch with you rather than wait til you get home.

• I think it's totally fine if you find the food at the cafeteria unhealthy. You can always bring your own food with you if you don't want to wait until you get home.

• I don't really eat at school, though, our canteen actually has pretty good food (I mean we can get lasagne! five bucks though...)

I don't have the dollars to be bying my lunch all the time and really I can't be bothered carrying it to school, and I'm typically not hungry anyway.

As long as you're eating, you're fine.

• No I don't think it's bad, if you don't like it or don't want to eat that's fine. :) I liked some of the food options but there were others I didn't like. lol

• I was the exact same way. I was never even hungry during lunch time, and any time I would try to eat, the other kids would gross me out by opening their mouths, chewing loudly, etc., making me lose my appetite.
    I say if you're not hungry, don't eat. Some people don't require three meals a day or don't require anything between morning and evening. Your body will tell you if it needs food, and one of the worst things you can do is force yourself to eat when you're not hungry.

• I think it'd be better to bring something to eat with you.

• You should eat something. You can always bring an apple with you and eat it during lunch time. Since it's portable you can definitely just take it with you and eat it while you're talking to your friends.

• Just pack a lunch. I have to learn this.

• So why don't you pack your own lunch then?

It's bad to skip meals... You could develope a round stomach like this.. And it won't be so easy to get rid of if you keep this going for long...

• Ugh, I hate the food at my school. In the uk all schools are obsessed with being healthy. Like they don't put any salt in the food, it's low fat, barely any cheese, no ketchup around. It sucks, and you're always hungry after. Man I wish I went to your school. American schools are so unhealthy but hell... You need it after 4 hours of education.

• you're right school lunch is like prison food in most areas (mine included) aaand sometimes those kitchens have mice (mine included it's like the dark side of ratatouille up in there) . so I would suggest packing a lunch just to get u through the day? but other than that, awesome as long as u eat a healthy breakfast <:) *thumbs up*

• I think nutrition wise, its good not to eat it, but instead maybe you should bring a lunch box with you. I skip meals all the time. Sometimes I go until 6pm without eating one meal because I'm just not hungry until later on in the day. I think you need to eat something, or at least stock up on lots of water throughout classes:)

• I feel ya. Me too I used to not eat the cafeteria's food, it tasted indeed gross. I used to be disgusted by their food to the point even I'm near the school kitchen I'm dead.
    While I don't blame you for refusing to eat school lunch :P , you could at least bring you with you something practical like a small grilled cheese sandwich or a cereal bar along with vitamin water. It's better than nothing, you would want to have some energy throughout a long day.

• No, I don't blame you. School lunches are supposed to be healthy, but they're the complete opposite. All those weird substitutions they make so that they don't serve extra calories, just makes the food over processed. If anything just bring a snack to school, so you won't go hungry the whole day. As long as you're getting all your nutrients and meeting your dietary needs, you're good.

• Why don't you bring food to school for lunch?

• clicked yes by accident. No school lunches are gross AS F. Screw that stuff. Rather stuff a sock down my throat.

• no worries you're doing d right thing

• why don't you pack a lunch?

• You can bring food into school for lunch.

• Try to eat something else. You need food

• You should eat every 3 to 4h
    Take a small snack with you and what it at school. Simple.
    Loke a snadwich and an apple

• Bring lunch from home then so you can eat something. I think it's a bad idea not eating all those hours.

• More from Girls
    28