Should you tip a waiter or waitress?

• Yes
  • Yes, depends on service
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• So long as it wasn't atrocious service, yes.

There has only been 1 that I barely left a tip for because of how rude she was. I'm honestly, a REALLY good tipper. I have given somewhere around a 60% tip on a bill before because of how amazing they were.

I can't remember where it was, but it was a woman and she was extremely polite, friendly, and patient with us. My friends had been drinking (me being the DD lol) and they were getting loud and obnoxious. I was pretty embarrassed.

She kept things cool, didn't seem to mind at all. Either a really good person or a very good actress.

- Either way, I ended up leaving her $40 as a tip on a bill of about $60.

Oh & I haven't gone out to eat with those friends since. lol, and I sure as hell told them why when we got in the car. This was about 2 (?) years ago. Give or take.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is customary, but not mandatory. I tip based on the service, and there have been times I am so annoyed with the waiter/waitress for messing up an order, never coming by the entire meal to check on the drinks or if the meal is ok, or taking forever to come with the bill and again for returning the change. I will intentionally give them zero tip and pay the exact amount and look them in the eye like a "fuck you, asshole". A decent service will generally get 12% tip, since when they add tip on a credit card machine, it is on top of the tax you're paying, so you're essentially paying tip on the taxes.

In general, I dislike tipping. A person chooses the job they work in, and their pay/salary is their compensation. If the pay sucks that you are forced to supplement it with tips, the solution is simple... get a better job, or get the requirements for a better career. I work hard for my income, and nobody tips me for doing my job. Why should wait staff be tipped for doing their job? Service with a smile isn't an "extra". It's a requirement for a service job.

What Girls Said 22

• Hmm, it's not really an expected thing here. Like, sure, it's nice but waiters and waitresses here get a minimum wage and their tips are a bonus, not just what they live off, so whether you tip them or not, they're gonna get paid. So for me it's no because that's just kinda the culture here, I guess?

• Yes, Everyone should if they Decide to Dine out.
    Waitress and Waiters do Not make Minimum wage. They only make $2.13-3.50 an hour. The Service that they Provide for One, Providing it is Good anyways, Deserves this "Little Extra" to Help fill in the Gap.
    Just ask my Sister. She is the Best from the Rest.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• Depends on be service.

This country tipping isn't mandatory but I do leave a tip (I try to give directly to the server) if they have impressed me. I was so impressed with one person - he sat with us and chatted, we gave him a tip to help fund his flight to meet his real dad. I emailed the restaurant and thanked them and they offered me a free meal for going out of my way to thank them/him

• Yes, I always do. It's incredibly rude not to tip them in Europe, it's basically a requirement. In Japan you better don't tip though because they would literally chase after you with the change because they'd feel so uncomfortable lol, I did that once - never again.

"It's incredibly rude not to tip them in Europe,"
      You should see how it is in the U. S, not tipping is so bad that they Used it in Reservoir Dogs to show that Mr. Pink has absolutely ZERO remorse for anyone

@Waffles731 lol it's the exact same thing in France

Also you should see Reservoir dogs

• In the USA, yes, you should. That being said, we need to change the system of tips because it makes it so servers are paid less than minimum wage by their employers. Tips should be a bonus, not a way to cover the employer's wage requirements.

• I seriously don't get this tipping culture in US and other countries.. they should be paid enough... I'd rather pay more for food if that means I won't have to deal with this tipping shit..

• What a ridiculous question. Of course you should tip. Servers are paid less than minimum wage. The amount of the tip though is tied to the level of service.

• Well here some high end restaurants add 'service charge' in total bill/cheque, which is supposed to be distributed among servers. Hence many people either don't pay tip at all or give a nominal amount just for sake of formality in such restaurants. In fact, servers in some restaurants refuse tips for the same reason.
    In not so high end restaurants, one should tip on basis of ambience + service. At least I do that. In a restaurant I went to, servers were too rude for some reason, so I didn't pay tip at all. Not to mention that I never went there again.

• Yes, i usually give a tip, but only if the service is good. I have only ever once came across a poor service though

• Did A, meant B.

If the service is absolute garbage then no. I absolutely wrote "NO" on a tip line before.

But if the service is good, then yes

• In the US, yes unless the service was that poor.

• Yes I always do

• Yes.
    How generous the tip is, depends on service.

• It all depends on the service. And before someone jumps on me over this yes I worked in the service industry.

• Obviously even if they were bad they live off the tips

You mean like as in being clumsy or nervous? Because if so, I would understand. But if they had a bad attitude and disregarded services, they don't deserve a tip.

• Absolutely yes.

The amount depends on how the service is.

15% to bad servers
    20-25% to good servers

• Yes of course you should. They only make about $3 an hour or so. at least here where I live. I don't leave much, because I don't have much, which is why I rarely go out to eat. But when I do I leave about $5-15 depending on how much my bill was.

• In my country we don't give tip so

• You don't have to. They chose that job knowing that they might not get tips from every customer. Sure, tbey might want one, but ultimately it's the customers choice. There's nothing wrong with not leaving a tip.

• Depends on the country you get the service

• Always.

• I worked as a waitress and never saw the tips they went to the owner

What Guys Said 28

• In the US, servers are paid less then minimum wage because their tips are considered part of their income. So that really nice server, is probably only getting paid $5.00 an hour or so and is counting on that tip to make ends meet. Of course how much is completely up to you, 10% is good for bad service, 15% for average 20% for good

• In America? You fucking better. Otherwise you are an enormous asshole.

• In the UK (and when I visit the rest of Europe) I do. They get paid low wages.

In America I don't. "Service charge" is a joke and everyone asked me for a tip to the point I started to get annoyed. I decide if I tip you for a job well done. The second it becomes a requirement is when I stop.

• it depends on the country. In some country it's considered offensive, I think Japan is like that. @COCOCHANEL correct me if I'm wrong

but in the west it's a common thing to do and mostly expected. How much depends again on the country

not offensive, just awkward

@COCOCHANEL oh okay. Saw it on a quiz show here. they explained why and said it's only in some tourist areas a thing so I remembered when seeing this question :p

• Yes, always tip unless the service was horrible. If so they just need to find another job. If it's the kitchen's fault, or the hostess is rude, still tip the waiter/waitress.

Change in a glass goes to the dishwasher. You can also ask a manager to give your tip to a cook or to the kitchen.

Some resturants split everything up amongst everyboday. But most wait-people rely on the tip money as income since the hourly rate is for shit.

• In the United States you have to or they starve to death (remarkably restaurants aren't that much cheaper than in Europe even though American restaurants also have lower sales tax to deal with).

• They rely on tips to bring up their very low wages - If services very good a little bit extra

• Pretty much always. In today's society it's implied, and if that's not okay with you don't go where you're served.

As a side note, 20-25% is standard for me, but I'm also not afraid to leave no tip and a note stating why.

• If the quality of food and the service were worth it, yes I would tip.

However, if the waitress/waiter couldn't be bothered and the food took so long to arrive and wasn't very good afterwards, no I wouldn't

If I was staying in a hotel for a few nights and someone was doing the 'waiting' often for me, I would definitely make a point of giving them something more for their effort.

• Always, have you ever been a waiter?
    i was a waitering at an Indian restaurant and it was a lot of hardwork, taking peoples orders, bringing out the food, dealing with icky customers and all their requests, and getting payed very little, the tips help a lot.

I also would bring out extra naan for the regulars who tipped well

• I tip at least 10% everytime, here in California servers get paid at least the minimum wage.

• I always do. How much depends on the service they provided.

• I ALWAYS tip.

I would vote for a bill that lets waiters and waitresses have one good punch at the stomach of people who don't tip/

• no I dont trouble myseft to think about it.

• I only tip if the service was good otherwise I just pay a little more or the final price.

• You should tip less for bad service, but never don't tip (unless the service was really THAT shitty), since they get paid less than minimum wage since they get tips. It's a bad system but it's what we have.

• I always tip, and usually more than necessary. They live off the tips they get. If someone was incredibly rude to me I might skip the tip, but that's never happened to me yet.

• Just the tip? 😜

I always tip, I don't think I've ever had a bad waiter/waitress

• In Australia you do not tip unless you really want to and it was exceptional service. Even then the tip mind just go to the store instead and you might be met with confused faces. Unlike the USA, waiter/ waitresses get paid fairly.

• Always tip no matter what! If service was whack in any way or fashion just tip whack.

• No. I don't believe in tipping.

• For me, it depends on what kinda service I got

• In the United States you tip or get beat up lol

• Black people don't, ask a waitress. $3 on $100 bill for three people.

• Yes, depends on service

• normally I round to next because I don't like small coins in my wallet except if I was dissatisfied

• I normally wouldn't, bit since people want to be assholes about it then I have no choice uggg

• It depends on the country.

Where I am, yes. You'd tip high for good service, average for average service, low for poor. No tip would only be for awful service.

In some countries, no tip is the norm, and a small to medium tip for extra good might be typical.