Do you know what gluten is?

Do you know what gluten is?

I'd like to know if you really know what gluten is, or if you have let the media influence you when shopping the groceries.

• Gluten is... (I know what gluten is)
  • Eh, is it? (I think I know what gluten is)
  • What is gluten? (I don't know what gluten is.)
  • Can you give us a clue? (I think I don't know what gluten is.)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a type of harmless mixture of proteins found in wheat and related grains, including barley, rye. Only a small percentage of the population is allergic to. If you're not allergic to gluten then there is no harm or consequence to eating it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not a nutritionist but I read somewhere that it's some kind of protein in grains and I find it hilarious when people who are not actually gluten intolerant are convinced they'll lose weight if they start living on a "gluten-free" diet.

What Guys Said 18

• it's a type of protein found in most cereal grains--wheat, barley, etc... and isn't in any way toxic to the vast majority of people.

• *clears throat* What do Germans say after they eat bread? Gluten tag

boom, there it is

cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...4-9e8a-a2dc5dd611a6.gif

• It is a chemical found in Wheat, Rye, and Barley,
    Some people like my mother are gluten-intolerant (And yes we do know this, its only when she eats something that has either wheat, rye or barley, that the symptoms occur)

• Gluten is a protein that is found in grains and it helps keep a dough elestic and hold its shape.

• I know it's something related to food and whiny people but other than that, no.

• I think it is something to do with wheat and people can be allergic to it.

a small portion of the population is really alergic, but there are some others who claim to be when they're not.

• Basically the only fun part of bread. If it's gluten free, then might as well pass on bread entirely

• I have a mother and two sisters, of course I know what gluten is.

• A type of protein

• Not really

• I have Celiac so I am well aware of what gluten is, as well as how Western Civilization seems obsessed with trying to use gluten in almost every aspect of cooking :( It is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It helps bread rise, and maintain its shape. The name comes directly from the Latin meaning "glue".

Western Civilization is not obsesed with trying to use gluten.

Yes, it is. Anytime you see "modified food starch" on the label it is most likely coming from gluten grains so things like mustard have gluten in them, even though there is nothing that seem gluten to a lay person on the label. It is often used as fillers and "flavors" for deli meats, hot dogs commercial tofu, and other products. In fact many "natural flavors" are derived from gluten grains. Many wine makers use gluten flour to line the barrels of wine as it matures the same goes for makers of several other alcohols. Many whiskey makers add gluten grains to their finished product again for "flavor". Oats are processed with gluten grains causing cross contamination of gluten. Virtually all bread, beer, and pastas in the West are made with gluten grains. Even the phrase to share a meal "breaking bread" which in the West means gluten bread. I'm surprised they haven't tried to put it in the damn water.

You don't realize how much gluten is used until you get stomach aches so painful you double over from eating the stuff, even though there is no gluten on the ingredients list. Until you are mocked by all the other kids at school because you are "Allergic to everything."

• Are we dumb if we don't know?

No, but you need to know if you don't want to become a pet of the media.

How does one become a 'pet' of the media?

By believing everything said there, by consciously or unconsciously supporting their ideas.
      Just look here, in the web, the internet, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

There is a trend of gluten-free diets, which are more damaging to our bodies, but yet people think they'll lose weight. My advice: never trust bloggers with no medical or biological experience.

• It's what makes semolina flour better for pasta. More gluten!

It's what a small handful of people are allergic too.

It's what a significantly larger group have decided they are allergic too, but aren't.

• Is a mixture of proteins found in wheat and related grains, including barley, rye, oat, and all their species and hybrids

@SnowHearth Not really. I guessed it was a carbohydrate since it starts with "glu" and so does glucose. I was wrong, it's a type of protein.

@SnowHearth I know that it was found in grains and some people have glten allergies though. A lot of people also just don't eat gluten for... no apparent reason, even if they're not allergic.

• Kind of. I know I don't have Celiac disease so I don't care.

• I haven't got a clue, but I don't avoid it cause I'm not gluten intolerant

• it can cause serious gastro problems in some people, especially people with chrons

but what is it?

did you?

• It's the latest buzz worthy thing in dieting that fat slobs worry about. Something they think if they avoid, they'll still be able to stuff their fat faces.

What Girls Said 8

• Yup. it's a protein that is in a lot (almost most) wheat products...
    (And many foods contain those wheat products, hence have gluten in them... So read your labels people.)

• Considering I have Celiac Disease and have to avoid it like the plague, yes, I know what gluten is. Lol

• Wheat protein.

It can be found in wheat, but also in other cereals; and it's not just one protein.

Its in corn too.
      Its just the protein of whatever grain it happens to be in

A protein, not the protein.

• It's typically found in breads and products with grains. It is totally fine for you to consume unless you have Celiac disease.

• Is it a combination of proteins and/or other stuff?

• Yep cause I can't tolerate that bs

Are you really intolerant, or you did you make yourself believe you are intolerant?

Gluten sensitivity and intolerance are real as well

I know.

• Honestly I don't what's really.

• It's sugar