For the meat eaters out there: what are your views on SuperMeat?

For those of you who haven't heard of it yet- "SuperMeat is working to develop a way to grow ‘meal-ready’ meat in the lab using tissue samples from a chicken, with hopes real animal meat can one day be mass produced without actually harming any animals."

Would this be an option that you would choose over coventional factory farming if was available to you, and at cheaper cost?

I think this is really interesting! Would love to hear all your thoughts! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as it tastes the same and doesn't come with any side effects.

Most Helpful Girl

• If it tasted the same, was just as healthy and it was roughly the same price or cheaper, I'd be happy to switch to it.

What Guys Said 24

• If it reaches a point where it's identical to real meat, meaning taste, benefits, and no harms, then yeah, I would eat it.

• If it tastes the same, has the same nutrients, and doesn't give me any shit that I don't want - by all means. But if it doesn't have anything of the aforementioned, I'll stick to real meat then.

It's actually healthier :)

That remains to be seen.

This is a repost, if you're interested...

Cultured meat has the potential to improve public health in many aspects:
      - A decrease in bacterial resistance, as cultured meat is grown without antibiotics as opposed to conventional meat, which often requires large amounts of antibiotics.
      - Cultured meat is a controlled procedure that will allow production of reduced fat or nonfat meat. Also, Omega-3 fatty acids could be added to cultured meat as a health bonus.
      - Cultured meat can also be called clean meat, as the increase in general hygiene in meat production helps keep the meat clean and safe for consumers. For example, 70% of U. S. chickens contain cancer-causing arsenic.
      - Cultured meat production will prevent pandemics that are associated with conventional meat, such as bird flu, swine flu etc.

But you are right, I guess we have to wait and see. Based on the above it seems promising

• I want super halibut.

Fish is healthier than land based meat. But big fish there are concerns with mercury etc. I want big huge clean Slabs of halibut

• I would be very happy to try that - I do feel somewhat guilty about eating meat

• If it makes some vegans shut up about us eating meat then I am all for it.

• of course... it could be organic and no animals were harmed. then again, you need to think of the economic implications... just think of how many farmers would lose money and thus have to find different careers.

swings and roundabouts

That is the only real down side to this, but I really think something like this is necessary for sustainability. We've really f*cked our planet-
      (Repost)
      "As of March 2016, the world's human population is about 7,400,000,000. It is expected to increase to about 11.2 billion by 2100. The current meat industry raises and slaughters more than 100 billion animals annually, worldwide. These numbers are projected to increase, globally, in the coming years. According to the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations’ recent report ‘Livestock’s long shadow – environmental issues and options’, global production of meat is projected to more than double from 229×10^9 kg/year in 1999/2000 to 465×10^9 kg/year in 2050 (Steinfeld et al. 2006, FAO document)”.

Industrial meat production has had numerous well-documented negative effects on our environment, such as deforestation, air pollution, water pollution, global warming, water waste, energy waste, species extinction (plant & animal)

Farmers will adapt and focus on crops or other income sources. Meanwhile, the labs will create more STEM jobs, which tend to be well paying. I can't see this being a net negative economically.

• I mean, if a stem cell sample gets contaminated (like Ebola or whatever) and mass produced, you'll have a huge problem, granted, it would actually be way easier to track depending how the product gets tagged. But then, I can see a problem with relative overpopulation and possible breeding problems for chickens or problems with milk extraction

Nah I dont see any of those last points being an issue if the product does well. They will be getting enormous capital investment and will find solutions to any problem just as they try to do with the real meat industry at the moment. I think theyll be able to control it

• let them develop it sure. i'll still wait a while to ensure that it is healthy

• I think a lot of people will be open to buying this stuff unless their ego n shit get in the way. I sure as hell will be. Eating meat without the guilt would be great

• sounds good... less fighting.

• Yet more lab techno-produced crap to meddle with human health.

Pretty much everything we eat is meddled with. Even the most basic food items. This would be no different in that sense, but there are a lot of benefits for public health and the environment. Swine flu and avian flu originate from keeping animals as livestock; the less they do this, the fewer outbreaks we can expect. Feeding antibiotics to livestock is also feared to cause the emergence of new antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria which seems to have already started

Oh go on, you're more reasonable than me, I'm going to have to back down a little. Yes, it might be okay :D

I still think we need to collectively change our orientation and have myriad attitudinal shifts. Some of the social movements and great inroads in many areas in the past 100 years indicate that it is possible. If we look at the state of 'society', knowing that what, 50% of Americans are living with at least one chronic disease; there is a difference between genuine health, and using technology to manage disease (ie human degeneration). There's a real tragedy here, and an imperative that we open our eyes.

Props to you for not getting suckered into my crankiness :D

@Jessica91 imagine what kind of antibiotics will have to be let into this meat when it will be produced on large scale.

by the way. eating meat is not bad for you, it's as esential to human feeding as vegetables, we are omnivores after all...

• Yeah it is no different from bite your meat off then you mend by yourself.
    That is why I feel no different to eat animals
    So I can eat the meat
    but I heard meat should do some sport for being delicious

Most of the meat that is currently consumed, is factory farmed, meaning the animals are totally cramped- some can't actually move at all. And that is the meat particularly in those delicious fast food meals. I never hear anyone complaining :) Excercise isn't necessary for the animals

Well, maybe you should expand the experience, I heard many people said American meat is soft.
      Actually I am afraid of their speed thought, in the end will you think that is animals they do?

• Id always prefer real meat.

It is real meat

It will be identical

We will see. I think ground beef will be perfect for this tho.

• Doubt it'll ever get big, probably more expensive than just raising animals.

No, it will be a lot cheaper because the meat is grown in lab like facilities. If the government allows it, this will be huge. But that is a different issue altogether. Companies will favor this because it will be more profitable for them

@nog642 dude I see where ur coming from. U wouldve been right if this was say 10/15 years ago. The technological advances in this area will result in more competitive prices for the meat cos for starters this method requires less food input. Instead of growing a whole animal with bones n brains u only need enough calories n nutrients to grow the muscle. It all adds up... it requires less real estate. Dude think about the amount of meat that can be produced in just one skyscraper. It requires less water as you can use microalgae to supply nutrients to the cells instead of using water to grow corn. No costs for getting rid of waste. Its next to impossible to beat meat culturing.

@mrtedster Food, water, and land aren't the only costs. My statements maybe won't be true in 15 years, but they are now. We haven't reached that point yet, at least for this specifically.

• I'll stick with real meat, thanks

Reason?

By the way, it is real meat.

If its not from an animal, its not real meat if you ask me. Dont really have a reason, just stubborn I guess. I like hunting too, that's where a lot of my meat comes from.

I read that this is a little different to previous attempts of meat alternatives. It is from an animal- part of the reason why they need so much money to make it possible I guess. Cells make up the animal right? So, if you extract the stem cells from the animals and grow them, biologically it is the same as the meat that comes from an animal.

Anyways, I respect your opinion, thanks for your reponse

• I prefer homegrown meat.

For what reason? (if you don't mind sharing)

Mostly, you know what the animal is fed off, and homegrown meat has slightly different texture to it.

My main concerns are antibiotics which are mostly carelessly given to the animals, and food full of pesticides/herbicides.

Animal meat is very sensitive to what animals eat, this is why you would rarely see people in warzone eating pigs/chickens...

• Another way of poisoning the population with GMOs while making a profit...

Do you currently eat meat?

"On October 17, 2005, the FDA sent warning letters to 29 companies that market cherries. In these letters, the FDA threatened these companies with legal action and told them they had to remove the scientific information on their websites that described the health benefits of the natural medicines found in cherries, such as the anthocyanins that reduce inflammation for arthritis sufferers. According to the warped FDA logic that now seems to be standard, when cherry growers post scientific information about the health benefits of their cherries, they magically transform their cherries into drugs and therefore, as drugs, they must have FDA approval in order to sell them in the United States."

I wonder if they start this up outside of the US, it would have a better chance of succeeding

• :imp: Food

• Sounds like Jakku to me. So , hot.

• it will never taste the same

It will, the stem cells are extracted from the animal. Assuming it was the same, would you give it a go?

like i already said, only if its edible

Of course!

• I wouldn't eat it. The pain and suffering that animals go through makes their meat taste so much better

• That's been going on for a while including certain vegetables. I think it's gross, our foods aren't healthy everything seems to be genetically modified one way or another... it might be organic or all natural pb... but what you doubt know it's that the genetics of that organic plant or that pb was changed in order to pervent pest from attacking thus making it organic. Even corn is modified. gmo's. It's a cool topic but don't think I'd want to eat that meat lol

It's supposed to be healthier due to supervised production. I mean, if you've ever been to a factory farm, they're so disgusting. The animals are literally living in their own sh*t.

I just found this online:

Yea it is cool :)

• i would love it, vegans can finally stop bitching.

What Girls Said 5

• If it's safe, nutritious and tasty, I would eat it.

• Nothing made in a lab is harmless. So no wouldn't eat it. If science has to somehow reproduce it its fake not real. I like real, natural things.

Do you think factory farmed animals are all "natural"?

@somebodysaycheese HAHAHA what a load of BULLSHIT! That list is a joke. Are being serious or are u just trolling? U think cheese without the "wood" is natural? READ A FUCKING BOOK! Even plain cheese is made by combining milk with the enzyme rennet taken from the stomach of a calf and shit like yogurt is made by combining milk with a bacteria culture. Unless ur growing veggies in ur back yard it isn't natural. Cheese is an unnatural food made by biotechnology. The idea that this culturing process interferes with nature and ought to be resisted for that reason is plain dumb. All food production interferes with nature. Wheat for example is the result of thousands of years of selective breeding and is grown on land that has been systematically altered for the purpose. If u dont want food thats the product of interference with nature ur probably going to be hungry. Stupid fucking ignorance pisses me off on here. Dont even get me started on all the other crap u wrote

@mrtedster Maybe you should learn how to read before you come commenting moron

• That actually kinda makes me want to be a vegetarian

Haha why? It's made from the stem cells of the actual animal. It is biologically identical

It's like "wow, we're going to so much trouble to not eat animals. How about I just don't eat animals"

True, but that realistically won't stop the majority of people eating meat because it is enjoyed too much. This is a good, sustainable alternative. The problem isn't just saving the animals from cruelty, but also saving the planet from deforestation, air pollution, water pollution, global warming, water waste, energy waste, species extinction (plant & animal)

• I'd rather just not eat meat at all than eat tissue grown in a tube.

Why? It's biologically the same thing, but cleaner/healthier. Also, pretty much all the food products we eat undergo intensive intervention of man- without it, they would be impossible to consume.

Unless you're vegan, in which case that makes total sense

True, but that is never going to happen

Well maybe, but after a VERY long time

• That's cool but its synthetic and not real

What foods do you consume that you consider to be "real"?

she's a trump supporter. I wouldn't bother trying to explain this to her