Is it normal for the water my tofu is stored in to be yellow?

Two days ago I bought tofu at the grocery store. That night I cooked about a quarter of it, and put the unused portion in a Tupperware container and covered with water, then put it in the fridge.

The next evening I noticed the water had become quite yellow. I changed the water. It's now the following afternoon and the water is clear still. I am a tofu newbie so I dunno what's normal? The expiration date is in November. I know now that it's open it will only last a few more days but I'm afraid somehow it's managed to go bad (although there's no smell, and the texture is normal. )

thoughts? Google isn't helping.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sure you're fine. :)

And not to be *that guy*, but try and limit your unfermented soy consumption.

Do you have access to tempeh?

I'm REALLY weird about food safety so I'm kind of afraid to eat it! Lol. I might just buy some more and see how it does to see if this is normal.

I just began eating tofu and don't plan on eating it too often, maybe a couple times a week. I think a couple local grocery stores have tempeh- I've been looking into that as well! Because I've just transitioned into being vegetarian I'm looking to make sure I'm getting adequate protein.

Thanks! I'm gonna look into it more

i've been reading about this soaking of beans

What Guys Said 3

• Someone probably peed in it, which of course will at least make it taste like something.

• I don't know I don't eat tofu.
    However, my understanding is that tofu takes on the flavor of whatever its mixed with so maybe there was something in the water.

• Nope nope

What Girls Said 3