How do you feel about GMOs?

A genetically modified organism (GMO) is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques (i. e., a genetically engineered organism).

Do do you try to avoid eating them? Do you not care? Do you think they are a good thing?

Most Helpful Girl

• GMO's have pros and cons.
    Pros
    -can alter food to repel bugs ex) less pesticides, cost down, profit up
    -can be resistant to herbicides ex) round up ready corn will not die but weeds will, cost down, profit up
    -can alter food to produce more nutrients for deficient people ex) golden rice
    -what we can do is virtually impossible to forsee, many possibilities
    -can out compete native species ex) GMO salmon

Cons
    -can contaminate wild types and non-gmo farms
    -these companies own any descendant of their seed, so, if farmer A's crops infect farmer B's crops, farmer B can (and in the past has been) sued by the company selling the seed
    -no long term study done on humans
    -may cause allergic reactions if residual residues or altered proteins still in food during consumption

thanks for mho, sorry that out competing native species is a con not a pro, ughhh

also, residual compounds*

Most Helpful Guy

• Genetical modification is NOT a new invention.
    farmers have been modifying the genetic strains of plants and animals by selection and pairing for centuries. Beef have a lot more meat now than they had 1000 years ago, Many strains of flowers and fruits simply didn't exist 1000 years ago.
    Even humans today are different from humans 100,000 years ago. There it was nature itself which selected the best to procreate and let the others die off.

The problem I REALLY have with GMOs is when GMO seeds are sterile but good to eat: it forces farmers to buy new seed for every harvest (and buy it from Monsanto at Monsanto's price!) That will make food more expensive or farmers poorer. Just to fill the big pockets of Monsanto ao.

What Girls Said 16

• Nope it at all, I don't avoid. It is unethical to build boutique people but not food. I avoid big farm foods because of hormones, insecticides and what not.

I love eating deer and fish but not deer living off of corn feeders.

GMO is okay by me. Not the best but better than buying hormone meat.

• There is now research saying that it does more good than nongmo products. I don't actively seek nongmo products. The fact that more thorough and unbiased research has been done to conclude it is helpful to the health of human and the environment has really solidified my opinion of who gives a shit. It's all a marketing scam anyways (from what I've also learned in my marketing classes).

• The benefits from GMOs mostly go to the corrupt GE industry and their associated profiteering government pawns such as the FDA but surely not to the public. It only does according to this cartel's hype and propaganda (other unwitting (?) commentators here have been listing some of that "pro" GMO disinformation here).

What everyone should know is that there has been a long history of ignoring and suppressing the real dangers of GMO foods from the biotech industry.

One of the earliest cases that has demonstrated that fact is the infamous tryptophan disaster of 1989 where the FDA ignored the warnings of their own scientists about the real risks of GMOs, simply to protect the business interests of the GMO industry, which they've been colluding with for decades - google "L-Tryptophan: The Truth About The FDA Tryptophan Recall Of 1989"

The government-biotech industrial complex has the average person believing that they're protecting their health. Yet, lying about real facts, denying real facts, or minimizing or ignoring real facts is not protecting or helping the public, it's deceiving the public. That cartel also pays online trolls to denounce anti-gmo commentators and spread the corporate GMO hype.

• If I avoided that on top of everything else... there'd be hardly anything left for me to eat. Nope. Not avoiding it.

• I don't believe it's been proven they are harmful and in some cases may have added benefits.

• Kind of hard to avoid...
    Some aren't inherently bad, but the fact is, you just don't know what's been done to the food/organism.

• No problem with them

• Given that all the available evidence says that they're safe, I have absolutely no problems with them.

• Eh, they're going to be there in some foods. I don't care that much to avoid them.

• I love seedless oranges which is a genetic modification. I eat mcdonalds ffs, I honestly don't give a damn how unhealthy something is. If I enjoy it, I'll indulge every once in a while.

• I'm avoiding GMOs, they are not tested enough, they might be unhealthy for humans and animals.@

• Not much you can do about it. :(

• Agreed with @Luci92

• can t do much about it nO>?

• i've heard they're bad

• As in food or in general?
    I'd never eat a genetically modified food.

I studied genetics and made some experiments with GMOs (in general, not just food).

What Guys Said 27

• Lately I've tried to avoid eating them as much as I can. Full disclosure, I'm not that well versed on them, my girlfriend is, and we eat the same stuff, so I'm just along for the ride, haha. But from what she's said they sound kind of bunk. I've really been trying to employ the "shop the perimeter of the supermarket" strategy (i. e. fresh produce, fresh meat, a handful of healthy dairy items, and whole wheat bakery items) and avoiding the aisles, which are mostly filled with processed foods with preservatives and all kinds of other bullshit. Hell, I've even heard some say pasteurized milk isn't great for you, but I don't own a cow or anything and it's not 1935 so there's no milkman, so I gotta deal with the pasteurized skim milk that will apparently somehow kill me, haha.

It was a bit of an adjustment at first, eating clean, but it's weird, now when I allow myself to cheat on occasion and have something "bad", I just don't quite enjoy it the way I used to, like it's kind of gross or at least less satisfying. And I guess that's a good thing, haha. But I've don't the research, no matter what, pizza is and always will be delicious🍕

• I personally would rather not eat them. People have been genetically modifying food plants (and livestock) for thousands of years through selective breeding. But when it comes to inserting genes from one organism into another I have problems with that. A number of years ago there was a biotech company that wanted to win approval for a tomato that wasn't supposed to freeze. They had inserted a gene from a fish into it. And then you have these food crops that are in wide use already that are genetically engineered to withstand the heavy application of herbicide (Roundup in particular). So the farmers are able to douse the entire field in Roundup and the food crop is unaffected. But the problem is that nature always has the last laugh. Now the weeds are becoming resistant to Roundup because it's use is being abused as a result of the genetically modified food crop. And the same companies that sell the genetically modified seed in some cases also sell the herbicide. It's a chemical arms race, and we can't sustainably keep that up. I think consumers have a right to know what's in the food they buy, and whether or not a particular item is made from GMOs.

• there´s nothing i can do to avoid it. cause there´s no law that forces gmo producers to farm them in a hermetically enclosed space. they crossbreed with non altered organisms and will ultimately fuck us up. but untill then i can hope they never change european the obligation to signify it on a product if gmos are in it... sadly that doesn´t count for livestock that has been fed with gmo food... only first hand gmos have to be labeled.

you are what you eat. we are fucking up what we eat big time.

• The good thing about them is that they increase the rate of successfull crops, the bad thing is that it can be used to grow infertile plants which creates a monopoly on vegetable production as well as on seeds.

Should the general populace not have the ability to grow their own crops and grow actually fertile crops to get more seeds?

I think we absolutely DO need that ability.

• i definitely try to avoid them

• I think GMOs can be good if made right. For example, if a GMO was able to have more nutrients that'd be great. But if made wrong, they could be disastrous. Imagine a GMO that has no value in the market because of it's appearance, despite it being full of vitamins. That would be a waste of time to farmers. I don't know wtf this rant was just now, don't even ask.

• You haven't eaten an un-genetically modified food of nutritional value in your life, no one alive has. Tyson explained this with artificial selection. If it's approved by the FDA for human consumption, shoild be fine. I'd be more concerned with additives in trace amounts.

• I think they are okay over all. I don't specifically try to avoid them. However GMO's won't stop unless Monsanto and the FDA magically fall out or are disbanded

• I'm a fan of GMOs, otherwise we wouldn't be able to grow enough food to feed the world. Thus more people will die of starvation.

• GMOs are a good thing insofar as they provide more people with more food than we could grow "naturally". However, I do take issue with the fact that the seed companies (Monsanto) keep patents on and artificially limit the reproductive capabilities of their seeds for profit. I'm a big fan of the burgeoning "open source" agricultural movement.

• I would try and eat as natural as possible

• If I find out they're putting like babies' foreskin in there then I'll stop eating it. But everything humans do is natural, it's part of NATURE. Stop deluding yourselves, folks!

• they are fine

• they arenot good for our overall health, so i personally try to avoid them most of the time.
    but without them... the world would starve without gmo staple crops. its better to eat crappy food thats bad for your guts and immune system than starve.

you're uneducated.

@dudeman which also mean that your VERY BIASED on this issue and on how other people view gmo's and your also very biased on the results of studies as well as who funds those studies.

nope

• Well this is interesting, from what I understand we use and eat them all the time

• I eat GMO stuff all the time I think. I don't know I really don't care

• Not a fan of them.

• I like them. While there are legitimate concerns for the use of GMOs, it's not nearly as bad as most people think so anti-GMO stuff is generally just propaganda.

• I read it as "genetically modified orgasm"
    And I got really confused...

• i try to avoid eating them

• Fine with it for now.

• I think too many people fear what they don't understand. GMOs can help to solve many of the world's problems including hunger and disease but hippy environmentalists get upset at their mention

• Do u need a new reproductive system?

• They're bad, cause health problems and should be avoided.

• I'm fine until I know about it

• I don't like General Motors very much. I've always had bad luck with GM and Chevy trucks.

• I avoid it when I can. They're definitely not a good thing, for us or for farmers.