To the cooks of GAG, how do you know what cooking oil to use?

There's so many! i never know what to get.

13d anyone ever use peanut oil? saw that at my job
12d Just looking at the variety of oils in my store we got:
Olive oil
Canola
Vegetable
Peanut
Walnut
Grape seed
Safflower
Sesame seed
Sunflower
Avocado
Almond
Hazelnut
Pumpkin seed
Coconut
Pistachio
Flax seed
Macadamia nut
Garlic
Rice bran

Most Helpful Guy

• I only use olive oils, coconut oil, avocado oil, or ghee.

Never cook with extra virgin olive oil. Only cook high heat dishes with oils that have high smoke points (coconut oil, ghee).

• 12d

So why do you use those different oils? For taste?

• 12d

It's partially flavor, yeah. But it's also health-related too. Most of the oils on your list have an unhealthy ratio of Omega 6 fatty acids to Omega 3 fatty acids. Avocado, olive, coconut, and ghee are MUCH healthier in this regard.

Also, if you cook with an oil and that oil becomes smoky, you've just created a pan-full of carcinogens. Stay away from food that's been cooked in smoking oil! :)

What Girls Said 28

• I use olive oil the most when cooking. With baking I use canola oil. Canola oil because it doesn't alter the flavour of taste when baking. So when you use it, it doesn't dry out the cake (keeping it moist) and it doesn't have any flavour in it either.

There are healthier options of oils like coconut oil and ghee (which I use when I'm making rotti).

It just depends how many gallons/litres do you use of it, what it's used for, the particular food you plan to cook it with, the expense and if you want the healthier option.

• Pay attention to smokepoint. If below a certain degree olive oil is fine. Grape seed oil has a higher smokepoint but is also less healthy. Never use veggie oil.

• 13d

Don't do it that's not healthy.

• 13d

Peanut isn't healthy. It's why many people are now eating almond butter. Almonds are healthy and the butter tastes similar.

• 13d

eh a lot of shit i eat ain't healthy lol

• I use coconut oil. It's suppost to me much healthyer and you can littrely use it for everything, even to wash your hair. Just use about a spoon or two for frying stuff in a pan, or rub a little bit into your cake tins, and I think it makes amazing roast potatos. I wouldn't recromend it for deep frying though, I would use either sunflower oil or something similar.
    Hope this helps!

• Extra Virgin Oil. xx

• I like using butter, olive oil and canola, though, pumpkin seed and sunflower oil are also very good for cooking.

• Olive oil usually leaves a taste. Vegetable oil and Canola oil do the same thing, though Canola is better for you.

But if you don't what oil to use in a frying pan, you can always use butter. It works good for nearly everything. Sometimes, it even works in the water.

• 13d

i like the taste olive oil leaves most of the time though

• 13d

It depends on what you're using it in. Like I Would never make a cake with it unless it's an olive oil cake. But I'll fry an egg in it.

• 13d

Also, to answer your update, I only know how to use peanut oil for deep frying. I don't know anyone who uses it for on a pan or something.

• I just get whatever's cheapest?

• 13d

Ewww. Lol.

That is some nasty unhealthy shit 😂😂

• 13d

Toads you know I love you. Gosh and maybe I'm being a bitch by telling you how much I hate Whole Foods because I know you love it and that's a good thing. But it sounds like you are drinking the koolaid to which I can only say, take their advice in nutrition yet but it somewhere else. Even with employee discount on a lot of items you are way overpaying and you can't afford to do that.

I eat at so many Gastros that have flavorful nutritious food. Whole Foods doesn't offer that in their buffet. The dry products are overpriced and they simply don't know their fresh or dry products.

When the Austin flagship store opened I was in a very serious health kick and couldn't find anything to eat down any aisle as it was so unhealthy.

I gave up and went to a Co-op.

• 13d

@sjoes006 this would matter to me if i cared about eating healthy :/

• You can pretty much use any oil for anything, vegetable, canola, peanut, and olive oil are okay. If you wanna saute something you can still use a little bit of any in a pan, I personally like to use olive when I have it. And some oils have a distinct like sesame seed oil which tastes nutty, that are used for certain things for the taste. Things like lard or crisco are mainly for frying, except you can bake with crisco too.

• 12d

yea most of those are used specifically for the taste, and people use some for the added health factor

• I use olive and canola oil for food lol

• 12d

I also use something that isn't on your list called rapeseed oil, probably what i use the most. it's really healthy and goes well with cooking.

• 12d

Oops i forgot it's the same as canola oil lol nvm

• In my cuisine we use olive oil most of the time. But then again I'm Mediterranean.

• I use olive oil most of the time.

• olive oil (not extra virgin), coconut oil, or clarified butter for cooking

never used peanut oil. but it does have a high smoke point and neutral flavor which make it good for cooking

• no idea... oil = oil

• 13d

doesn't matter to you? i know you cook :P

• 13d

Colllld. At least I don't keep playing those bland shooters over and over :p

• 12d

virgin coconut oil is nice, i love the smell... i dont use it for cooking though

and i just like shooters, im hella good with a gun

• Olive oil?

• 13d

thats what i mainly use, but there's like so many others.

• I typically use olive oil for cooking. Vegetable oil for baking.

• 13d

why vegetable oil for baking?

• 13d

For things like cakes and stuff just because that's usually what the recipe calls for but sometimes I substitute canola oil.

I'll fry chicken in it too because it's cheap and you have to use a lot of it.

• I can t cook to save my life man

• I like Olive or Avocado oil to cook with.

• Depends on the meal. I mostly use seame oil, grape oil, olive oil, and others...

• Olive oil

• I ask my brother the chef.

But EVOO is good like 85% of the time for most things.

• Vegetable oil.

• My go to for cooking is olive oil.

• I always use Vegetable oil

• Tbvh, i can't cook. This is one of the skills i have yet to learn but we use olive oil.

• I'm not a cook :/ :p but we use vegetable oil or canola

• I find olive or canola work for most things.

• Only way I remember it is by if it says extra virgin oil it means it's for salads.

• I use vegetable oil.

What Guys Said 20

• I use olive oil the most. It doesn't smoke until a relatively high temperature and it tastes good. If I need a lot of oil for deep frying, I'll definitely get something cheaper like corn oil. Peanut oil has a higher smoke point than most so sometimes that if I want to cook hot. Sesame seed oil gives Asian cuisine is Asianness. I use a lot of various infused oils for flavoring touches.

• Most probably use one based on the price and what they're used to using culturally. Non saturated fat is more likely break their molecular bond at high heat which turns into a free radical and can cause issues with cells and even potentially cancer. Also high amounts of omega 6 (which is the cheapest and therefore used in industry processed foods mostly) causes inflammation which is a precursor to disease in general. Saturated fat was demonized years ago based on contaversial science but not many question the world heart associations obviously. The only oils I have is olive and coconut. I use oil mostly for cold recipes like dressing or low heat. I also eat avocados, flax and nuts so I don't use the oil.

• Light olive oil is for high-heat cooking.

Extra virgin olive oil is pretty great all around but not for high-heat cooking. Definitely the best one for vinaigrettes and as a finishing oil tho. Great for cold dishes and salads as a dressing. (also healthiest over all if I remember correctly)

I think peanut oil is mostly used in Asian cousine, not much experience with it.¨

Corn oil is largely used for frying.

Coconut oil is mostly for desserts in my opinion.

Vegetable oil is a pretty good all around cooking oil that doesn't have a very strong flavor of it's own.

Canola oil is basically the same as vegetable oil but healthier if I remember correctly.

Sunflower seed oil is healthy option for searing and sautéing things.

Sesame oil is for low heat frying and some Asian dishes.

• I use EVOO for most of the stuff I make. For mayo I'll use just regular olive oil. If you use extra virgin the mayo becomes bitter when you emulsify it. I also use coconut oil for a few things. Buy the refined coconut oil cuz it doesn't taste like coconut.

• It's a matter of preference and what you are doing. Just got to practice your tastebuds

Sunflower for example is a very mild oil so you use that for dishes where the oil shouldn't be too noticable. Coconut oil is usually good for Asian dishes, but should never use it for a steak. So on and so forth.

• Cold pressed oil is the healthiest, I usually prefer olive soy and vegetable oil, but Sesame, Peanut and Sunflower oils are great too.

• Smoking point of the oil i. e the temperature you want to cook at is the main decider.

Flavour is the 2nd point

• Usually it's smoke point

If you want to use oil for salades. Use first press olive oil - which is meant to be consumed cold not cooked

For cooking it depends on the smoke point. So if you want to sear a steak. Do not use first press olive oil as it will burn at a very low heat. You want a more robust oil such as grape sead or canola oil. You can raise the temp high and the oil won't burn quickly

Other than that it comes down to taste. Neutral oils vs others with flavour

• I always use olive oil.

• Only ever use Olive Oil, except for a few things that do better with butter (like mushrooms!)

• Depends on what you want to do/cook.

• 12d

So you don't just use olive oil or canola oil for most things?

• 12d

Well there's others too like almond oil or vegetable oil

• 12d

I know lol.

• Vegetable oil for lighter things and baking. Olive oil for heavier things.

• Hmm I usually use canola oil or avacado oil

• i like olive oil

• it depends mostly on the temperature and ingredients (like fatty acids)

• 12d

do you eat every type of meat that exists?
      every vegetable?
      every fruit?

why do you think you need every oil? 2, max 3 are enough for your needs... just look up what you wanna do and choose the ones that fit your need

• 12d

Variety is nice though

• olive oil for most things but you fry in canola oil

• I use the recipe.

• Olive oil and then that Asian oil I forget what it's called. It's in the Asian section of the store.

• I use olive oil mostly

• As a chef, plain vegetable oil is best for pan frying and sauteing, roasting (or you can use duck fat).

Olive oil is really strictly only used for salads and marinades etc.