Do you guys legitimately FORGET to eat?

I used to honestly chuckle at people who claimed that they forgot to eat. In truth, I never fully believed it. Until I started getting older and going through bizarre bouts of appetite loss (doc can't figure out why it happens, it happens with my dad too) and I would very literally forget to eat sometimes because I wouldn't feel the need to. Pair that with the fact that I hyper-focus on whatever it is I'm doing and... oops.

Mind you, I avoid not eating even if I'm going through these bouts because it's really not good for you, but I just wanted to see if anybody else has ever literally FORGOTTEN to eat.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh my god, yesssssss. Story of my life. In an 8 hour workday, I'm probably driving for 6 of it, and I just don't eat lunch most days. Devastating, tryna work up a swell over here💪😒

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it doesn't happen often, unfortunately butttttt it's happened. And when I acually eat only then I realize how hungry I was.

What Guys Said 50

• I genuinely forget to eat all the time. Sometimes, it'll be like 10pm, and for the first time throughout the whole day, I'll start feeling hungry.. like rabid wolf hungry.. and look to just devour a ribeye.. meanwhile, my untouched now stale bagel from the morning is sitting next to my empty cup of XL coffee, often my third one of the day.

Sometimes, it's so late that I'm just like, fuck it, drink some water at least and I'll eat tomorrow.

It's definitely a real thing, and it's not really good or a way to stay thin. To the contrary, it's horrible for your metabolism.

• I constantly used to have a greatly reduced appetite when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I spent long spells where I never ate on Fridays because I'd be out and just wouldn't think about food. Some weeks I would only eat 4 days out of the week.

I agree with you that it's not good for you, particularly in the long term. I suffer from acid reflux now and have to take medication for that. The fact that I was so unkind to my stomach for long periods of time is very likely to have contributed to that.

• Depending on what you're eating in general and your constitution, I think it can be okay not to eat sometimes. For example, let's suppose you had a huge fry up with all the lashings for breakfast, and then for 'tea', you had pizza and a huge portion of chips, then eating twice per day would be acceptable. Your body needs some time to digest and detoxify if your portions are huge, and you eat things which are difficult for your body to process. Same applies if you have a 'thickset' constitution. Of course, in general, it would be better to eat balanced and moderate meals, thoroughly chewed - it's better for your digestive system, and you won't have those huge energetic/GI induced shifts throughout the day.

I don't forget to eat, but I won't eat if I'm not hungry. I generally put the food I eat as the centerpiece to my days, given I'm interested in health and healing. I know what you're thinking, I am indeed, a ball of fun :)

• I do forget to eat if I don't have any sort of reminder, especially when I'm not in school. My stomach only rarely lets me know if I'm hungry. I'm usually super focused on a drawing I'm doing or a game I'm playing to remember that even if I don't feel it, I need food. I've had to set alarms in the past to remind me and now my boyfriend has to remind me, though I have to remind him sometimes too.

• I would get to weak if I didn't eat and when im really hungry my stomach growls, barks and rumbles on me.

• That happens to me more times than i can count. most of the time its because im wasted and pass out, but if im focused on something, yes, i do forget.

• normally its if im playing a game i really like ;) i HAVE gone up to 3 days with no sleep or anything besides water. but i can do 12h pretty easy almost normal. now i try to set alarms and/or do things during travel/loading which can be long anyway lol. doing some walking around, pushups and eating and drinking helps keep u normal :). 3 days is extremely hard on the body. the heart is extremely eradic at that point. u hear of people in asia dying around 2 days all the time. so it is a serious thing. I've done quite a bit of other things too though so i know i have a lot of fortitude ;) though im still probably pushing my luck hehe. and this is a lot harder to do when u have a live in girlfriend as she always comes in at some point at drags u off for her needs... which seems like every other hour.

• Yes it is very possible, I wasn't eating like I should have for a very long time, and I was diagnosed at some point with early stages of ulcer, as the digestive acids in my stomach had no food to work on. When you don't eat for long periods, the digestive acids in your stomach may begin to work on the stomach lining as their is no food in the stomach for them to work on. The digestive acids are always active, and this could cause ulcer.

Its a bad habit not eating for long periods, and eating heavy meal portions after such long periods doesn't help. It is best to eat short portions of food over the course of short durations all through a day.

• Never, my eternally growling stomach will remind me to stuff my face with food. lol. I'm always hungry, it's ridiculous.

• When I take adderall I do sometimes. Sort of have to force myself. I'm usually eating all fcking day though. Try to get in at least 5k calories.

• I do, at times actually.. I get so interested in what I have going on, whether it be replying on here, editing, working my usual 40 hour overnight job, that I actually do forget to eat! Which reminds me..

• I can't forget when my stomach starts shouting "feed me"

• nope

• Now that you mention it, yes, I sometimes have to be reminded to eat usually when engrossed in something else. Then it's, 'Oh. Yeah. Right. I am hungry.'

• Yeah, I have. I had surgery a few years ago. So I've got a tiny stomach.

• When I'm working on a project I can zone out completely. This means i can forget to eat and 16 hours can go by in the blink of an eye.

• I'm sure people do if they are extremely busy. I've heard of my friends brother who forgot to eat one time

• If i go without food for more than a couple of hours, i get moody, angry, tired, slow etc.
    My girl used to forget to eat and i yelled at her for that. However since she started weightlifting, she eats a lot.

• It happens now and then. I get sad afterwards and I start brainstorming why do I feel this way. Because I forgot to eat duhh

• My stomach has a metaphoric reminder setting turned on, I can't turn off the reminder setting in my stomach😆.

• Very rarely has it happened. I've either done it because I was busy and drank too much or it was too late and eating would have kept me awake.

• Im always eating. 3 hours without and i start dying inside. Fruit, iogurt... sandwish... watever. But healthy stuff.

• I do forget to drink. I do not forget to eat.

• No, there's a mechanism called hunger that reminds you to eat. You should see a doctor if you actually forget to eat.

• Yes. When I'm particularly interested in something.

• I only felt hungry 3 times in my entire life.
    Yeah, I can pass many hours without eating. Until the age of 18, I didn't know what hunger felt like. Whenever I heard my colleagues say they were hungry, I just thought they wanted to eat, and they weren't actually in hunger, because 1) I had never felt it before, and 2) they just went to the bar to eat chocolates.

• Yes, if I am super busy or focused I can forget.

• Well i find my self not wanting to cook or fetch food so yes.
    Im also sometimes both hungry and full at the same time which is strange.

• yup especially if I get carried away, such as getting stuck on my homework and whatnot, I'll usually end up missing a meal between working all the time and trying to catch up on homework, I usually end up falling asleep before I get some food

• I sometimes can go about all day without or water. It isn't good but im somehow surviving, been doing it entire.

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 35

• Yes, I do from time to time. When you're so engrossed with work, caregiving and doing other things that require's your attention. You do tend to forget. It's not healthy either way. But it does happen. And it happens a lot more when you have to look out for yourself and there is nobody to really help you, or try to support you psychologically in times of stress. I believe it's what you call 'burnout'. Not everybody manages stress well. And depending on one's circumstances, sometimes you can't avoid it.

Its even more scary when you really DO forget and don't even remember when the last time you ate.

• I go through periods where I eat A LOT and get a lot of the munchies but then there are days I don't get hungry easily or do '"forget" to eat. It has happened to me. When I have stress my appetite is also reduced. But you know, now that I think of it at times when I'm stressed I can also eat more. I'm very up and down.

• Yes.

I try my best not to and stick to a schedule (almost everything is measured and planned out).

However, with work sometimes I completely forget. Or get so stressed out I don't feel like eating. It varies a lot but I **really** try to eat all meals and snacks accordingly.

Forgot breakfast and dinner on Black Friday (protein shake count? lol) and forgot lunch Sat & Sunday..

>.> Weekend is the worst for me.

• I actually do forget to eat, yes. I'll get involved in something and then hours later will think along the lines of "wow, i am freaking starving... oh yeah, i forgot to eat lunch"... and im a person that really likes to eat so it doesn't surprise me to hear people say they forgot to eat.

• Yeah, it happens to me A LOT to the point where I go an entire day without eating a thing simply because I don't feel like it and/or forget to sometimes.

• I'm like you in the sense that I forget to eat if I'm really focused on something, especially while I'm working.

• Yep when I read something or when I work on project and I am totally invested, or when I write something or think about something, I am a big thinker haha.

It has hapoened since my childhood, sometimes I wouldn't remember to eat if someone didn't remind, It feels as if you are so busy doing something that you forget about human needs.

• I'm very rarely hungry so it's a normal thing for me.

The only time I typically eat is when it's dinner time because I have to cook dinner for someone other than just myself.

• Oh yes. It's like a daily battle for me. It makes it worse that I have a little one that is my soul responsabilaty. So when I forget to eat I forget to feed him too. It's 2/3 meals for me, I just forget to make any food and then before I know it, it's like 12pm and I am making a days worth of food because I just forgot to make anything earlyer.

• Nope. I never actually 'forget' it. But loss of appetite happens when I'm under stress. It is like I feel like I'll puke if I eat.
    Same happens when I'm really busy with something.

• Yes. Many times.

• Happens to me all the time.

• It happened to me just once.

I was on a picnic and while I was having fun running around etc I had forgotten to eat and when I came home, I realized that after I noticed that I was eating much more than usual.

• never

• nah never
    I am always hungry and I have a high metabolism
    I need to eat :P

• 11d

See I'm weird.

Because I can go from being always hungry, to losing my appetite completely. My doctor assumes it could be stress related potentially but we haven't fully figured it out yet.

• 11d

Yeah I hope so too. :/

• 11d

gd lck :)
      but if it s like your dad and your dad is just fine I wouldn t worry

• Yep. Happens when I'm watching my favorite shows for a lot of hours 8-10, when I used to play Sims also when I wrote my "book"

• I forget to eat all the time... I work 80 hour work weeks and sometimes I really just don't have time.

• So far in my life, I've only felt hungry twice. I forget the time when I'm busy with something, so it happens quite often that I don't eat at a certain time of day. People usually tell me to come eat something now, otherwise I probably won't.

• lmaooo omg thats me i thought i was the only one
    sometimes i am that busy that i remember i didn't eat at 2 am

• Yeah, it's from being preoccupied with other matters.

• Yeah, I'll go all day not eating because the lack of the need to and then be like "Hmmm, I should probably eat something" It usually happens on the weekends tho.

• I have before.

• it has happened because i'm picky about food and care about cost performance way too much

• I dont. My stomach always care to remind me. I think i eat every 2 hours. 😂

• When I was little... yes.
    Now... I can't go two to three hours without food.

• Me? No

• Sometimes when I'm really busy

• Yes, yes, yes!

• no never

• I usually forget when I'm working on costumes. Humans actuallly aren't programmed to be eating three meals a day. I usually don't eat a lot for lunch because of this.

• More from Girls
    5