Texture of sushi (veggie sushi not fishy sushi)?

So tonight I am trying sushi for the first time. Likely a California roll or something like it. I am trying to imagine what the texture will be like as I am very picky on texture. Was wondering if anyone could try and describe it. Also, I have never tried avocado and I am accepting it is likely going to be in the dish. Is avocado in sushi typically strong tasting or what? Thanks

14

Most Helpful Guy

• If you're picky, don't start with a California roll. I mean my kids love them, lots of people do, but they have lots of ingredients, and lots of textures.

Start with like... cucumber maki. Then you can get used to those things first.

Basically all 'roll' sushi (i. e. maki), you have the black seaweed bit that holds it together. That doesn't have a lot of texture in most maki, though it has a bit of flavor. In a 'hand roll' which looks more like a cone, the texture is more noticeable - they're a little crispy (they're dried). In a normal roll though, they sort of absorb a bit of moisture and hence lose that crispness. Then you have sticky rice. And then you have whatever is put in the middle of the roll. So cucumber maki would have just... cucumber (with the rice and the seaweed).

Avocado is popular in north American sushi, but is not -at all- traditional, so if you don't want it, get stuff without it! If you do want to try it, avocado has a fairly creamy texture. About as firm as banana, but a little smoother? It has a relatively mild taste. To be honest, I would say it's probably in MAINLY for texture - to add smooth creaminess.

Most Helpful Girl

• Avocado is not strong at all. Very smooth and mushy (in texture). But it's added to sushi to make the sushi refreshing.

Will you be using the sushi white mayo? I would suggest carrots, cucumber, red capsciums and avocado :) I would suggest mixing sesame seeds in your rice as well for more texture. If you don't like crunchy vegetables, i would try pickling them beforehand then.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 3

• Avocado is not too strong but I think it adds a pleasant taste to rolls. Avacado is really soft and you don't really need to chew it you can just press it with your mouth and tongue.

Sushi is my favorite food. You'll most likely feel the rice in your mouth and all those individual grains then the ingredients inside slpit apart. If you had rice before you should know what that feels like but I often find veggie sushi to be crunchy because of the stiff veggies they use. Kudos to keeping an open mind I hope you let us know how you like it!

• It's mostly rice. There's a little imitation (usually a fish) or real crab in the center, but it's a fairly background flavor. No the avocado isn't much of a noticeable flavor. If served near peak ripeness, avocado is fairly soft and even creamy. Adding sliced ginger is common too. If you haven't had ginger, the texture is similar to a sliced carrot. Adding wasabi is what gives it a really intense flavor. Finding a balance of not overpowering hotness and pungentness may take a little practice.

• im allergic to sushi

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!