How to keep a chocolate cake moist?

Tomorrow is my aunt's birthday, and she has requested that I make her a chocolate cake. Now I'm a pretty damn good cook, but as far as baking is concerned, I still have a lot to learn lol. The cakes I've made have been alright but I don't know how store bought cakes are so light and moist. Anyone have any tips/recipes they'd like to share? Thanks!

51

Most Helpful Guy

• Well egg whites in cake helps with moisture and fluffiness. Also giving your cake a bath. Kinda like a cheese cake. Put your oven on 300. Put a hotel pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven. When your Is steaming. Set your cake in there. Plate, springform pan, or cardboard. This should keep the moisture going and warm up the cake. Turn it down once the icing starts melting like cheese on a pizza.

Most Helpful Girl

• -Folding in cake mixture (with a silicone spatula) helps.
    -Don't overwork the mixture. Just mix it enough to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
    -Allowing the cake to cool down after it's been in the oven for a decent amount of time helps too.
    -If you plan on keeping it in the fridge, wrap it up with clear film (cling wrap) very tightly. Then put it in the fridge. If you plan on icing the cake the next morning, make sure to bring the cake out of the fridge an hour prior icing, so you limit any sort of condensation happening.
    -If you plan on just leaving it out on the bench top, wrap it up in clear film and have a pot cover the top of it

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 4

• Real butter, lots of it. This makes the cake more moist.

Light is in the baking. Do not over whisk anything, keep it airy. Sieve your flour twice and fold in ingredients that don't need proper whisking.

Fresh eggs are better than week old ones (might be difficult finding fresh eggs in the States though).

Don't overcook! A cake is done when you can put a knife in and pull it out clean. Overbaking dries the cake up, makes it stale tasting and crumbly. Err on the side of caution and leave enough time to make another ;)

• If you're making from scratch use a a recipe that uses butter, and don't mix the wet and dry with a mixer. Just fold them together with a spoon or spatula until just combined.
    Don't over bake - take it out of the oven as soon as a skewer comes out with moist crumbs or even a tiny streak of batter. Leave it in the pan to cool for 10 mins then remove if from the pan. When it's cool enough to touch without hurting yourself wrap it in cling film and put it back in the pan (I usually wash it while waiting for the cake to cool) until it's fully cold then ice it. A ganach is good for keeping in moisture too

• add milk and water

• Add in melted butter to batter.