What are some things every cook should know how to do?

Just off the top of your head. If you want to call yourself a cook, what should they know how to do?

1|0
14|14

Most Helpful Girl

• -a good simple marinade (olive oil, salt and pepper) it can really go a long way
    -have two chopping boards (one for meats and the other for vegetables/fruit/herbs) to avoid cross contamination/food poisoning 😑
    -have a thin cloth underneath the chopping board so it doesn't try to slip when you cut things on them
    -sear ANY meat in a pan with olive oil (to lock in the juices), cook accordingly and ALWAYS rest the meat (so it can maintain juicy and not dry and tough)
    -every kitchen/cook needs proper and basic kitchen utensils (measuring cups, measuring jug, spatula, wooden spoon, whisk, can opener, kitchen knife, chopping board, grater, scissors, tongs, sift/strainer and a ladle)

0|2
    0|0
    • 10d

Hmmm not sure I have a strainer 🤔

Good tips!

• Show All
    • 10d

Searing meat does not lock in juices, but that is a popular myth. What it does do thou is causes the Maillard reaction which provides a nice caramelization that adds tons of flavor.

• 5d

Thank you for MH toto

Most Helpful Guy

• Fresh pasta
    Pasta sauce
    Eggs, hard boiled, soft boiled, sunny side up, poached... all the variations
    Chicken
    Rice
    Steak
    Pizza dough
    Fresh apple pie, dough for crust
    Couple of soups
    Home made chicken stock
    How to properly cut a whole chicken into it's components
    Fish

That should maybe cut it... maybe more though...

0|0
    0|0
Sponsored

What Girls Said 13

• -chop food. When I would watch the Neelys cooking show, they chopped food like a 7 year old or off an infomercial

-make an omelette

-boil eggs

-pan sear something to be crispy

-fry foods

-properly wash foods, no gritty squash skins, please, please

-have a SAFE kitchen. No cross contamination.

-boil pasta, not mush or crunchy, but just right :)

-Use spices: this is more subjective, but if dried oregano and paprika are the radicalll spices, are you really a culinary master... really...

0|1
    0|0
  • How to cook chicken thoroughly, how to cook rice, to let meat rest before eating and safe food handling (different chopping boards/knives for meat especially).
    Knowing how to make a roux is pretty important as well because I freaking love sauce but it's usually a preference thing

0|1
    0|0
  • I presume you mean an amature - only in your kitchen - cook.

Things you definitely should know:
    -different kinds of egg preparation
    -risoto (at least 2 different kinds)
    -pasta (at least 2 different kinds)
    -chicken and potatoes
    -vegetables in several different ways
    -pastes and sauces like hummus, salsa, guacamole
    -bread (obviously)
    -pizza

There are probably more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

0|1
    0|0
  • Cook a good pot of rice. Not undercooked and not too mushy.

0|2
    0|0
  • Boil water.

0|1
    0|0
  • How to use the refrigerator.

0|1
    0|0
    • 10d

Refrigerinator? Refridgeacator? 🤔

• 10d

well, so far im doing well, i can use a refrigerator, i can boil water without burning it, i can cook a good pot of rice, and a can cook a good steak...

• If they are cooking for someone else, they should know to ask that person beforehand for any allergies or etc

0|1
    0|0
  • learn how to on a stove :P haha

0|1
    0|0
    • 10d

I think i got that one down lol :P

• 10d

haha I was just joking :P Choppin boards two to be exact. Uhh basic seasoning ingredients.. salt/pepper and onion salt maybe some thyme and Italian seasoning and sea salt. Paprika too.

And learn how to make scramble eggs real easy. Omelette :) and fry things and boil them too! I'm forgetting some things..

• light the burner.

0|1
    0|0
  • Cook a mean steak

0|2
    0|0
  • Don't walk away and/or get distracted from what you're cooking.

0|1
    0|0
    • 10d

You speaking from experience? 😛😛

• 10d

Haha kinda? But it' my siblings who do this. They go and watch t. v while their food is cooking or walk away for some period of time. It's important to always be near the food so that nothing goes into flames or over cooks etc.

• Noodles.

0|0
    0|0
  • i must be able to cook anything by just looking the recipe

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• How to multitask. You do a big complex meal, you want everything to be done at the same time or near enough so that no individual part is served cold because it's been sitting waiting. One example is a big breakfast with bacon, eggs, beans and toast - you need to do it in the right order so it all get served hot. Another is a roast dinner - the roast itself will take a long time so you need to know when to start each of the vegetable dishes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Chop real fast.

0|1
    0|0
  • Boil water without burning it.

0|1
    0|0
  • They need to know their way around an egg.

0|1
    0|0
  • in general, if you can read you can cook. I think having an extensive knowledge of different spices/ seasoning is really important and different types of meat and how to prepare them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Choose the right ingredient.

0|1
    0|0
  • oil makes the ingredients you put it not catch on fire.

0|1
    0|0
  • They should be able to know how to memorize recipes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Every good could know how to cook without following a recipe to a T. I almost never follow recipe's except when baking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Time dishes to be out at the same time so the food doesn't get cold, if you want them warm.

0|1
    0|0
  • Practice recipes or foods you want to eat.

0|0
    0|0
  • perfect steak, make a pizza, perfectly cooked eggs, perfect pasta, chicken parmigiana, pad Thai gai, fried rice.
    Just the simple stuff

0|0
    0|0
  • food. everyone should know how to cook food.

0|0
    0|0