Brand name vs. generic: Do you have a preference when grocery shopping?

When grocery shopping at supermarket do you have a preference and why?

Do you find their is a discernable difference in quality and price?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm in the grocery retail business, and I can tell you right now, always try the generic brand, because a lot of the major producers package their product under other labels, especially store brands. There are only so many producers that make, say, vegetable oil, it's not like there are thousands or even hundreds of suppliers. So the store brand stuff has gotta come from somewhere, and what happens a lot of the time is Stop & Shop or Publix or Von's or whatever the chain is in your area, they'll reach out to a company like Wesson, and say "we're looking for a store brand oil", and Wesson will put THEIR Wesson oil in a bottle, and it gets stickered with the store brand label. Then some guy on the production line goes "ok, that's enough!", pulls a lever and stops the conveyor belt, and they take out the generic label and put the Wesson one back in. It's that simple. So you've created a perceived level of quality and pricing for the same exact product! You might even have the same bottle shape, that's a dead giveaway. It's not always easily identifiable, but trust me, store brand stuff is usually just name brand stuff in different packaging, there's not some Stop & Shop factory somewhere pumping out their own line of products, they just buy from others👍

• each company, like THAT identical.

But in grocery stores, McCormick is considerably more expensive, like $1-3 more for the same product and quantity than Badia. The reason is because McCormick's sales strategy is different, in that they pay grocery chains millions of dollars every year to feature their product. You'll usually see some grand McCormick setup at most major grocery stores. So you walk into the spice aisle and BAM, there's McCormick right in your face, with little to no competition. Badia doesn't use that approach and just traditionally negotiate agreements to carry their product in a more symbiotic relationship with the store, and they can in turn offer a lower retail price to the customer. McCormick's hope is that you see the two brands, and you go "hmm... this one is $2.99, but this one's $4.99. McCormick's must be better, I'll go with them." You just cater to the higher end market, while folks with less money to blow might pass it up for the...(cont...)

• ... less expensive option. But you target specific stores with specific customer demographics and make the biggest moves in the most opportune areas, and go conservative in places with less potential. Ultimately, their customers end up paying for them to have greater market saturation and a high end reputation. It's a dirty, despicable business I'm in😂

Sponsored

What Girls Said 17

• Depends what it is... basic pantry staples I go for generic (flour, sugar, tinned tomatos).
    Eggs and dairy are always branded, fruit and veg are from the farmers market or growers near my in laws house. For meat a few family and friends put in for a whole beast a few times a year, chickens are local and we'll get a lamb if it's available. I have a big problem with unethical animal treatment but my husband won't do vegetarian, so the careful (and fucking annoying) sourcing is our compromise

• I shop at discount supermarkets where everything is a brand you've never heard of before because I don't have a large budget for food. When I first moved into my own place, I only spent $50-$60 a month on food, so I had to either buy off brands or starve... And off brands taste pretty good when you're starving. There are a few things I buy name brand because they're better products, but most of the time I'll opt for the cheapest option

I buy Jiff peanut butter because I like the sweet taste of it better, but I'll buy off brand Honeycomb because the name brand Honeycomb doesn't taste as good anymore, and there are some off brand Mini Wheats and Raisin Bran that are better or worse than the name brand, so it depends on what store I'm at. I buy milk at one discount store, but not another because they have different flavor even though they're the same price. I go to one store that's out of my way to shop for meat because they discount meat half off the last day they can sell it before throwing it out, and all I have to do is cook or freeze it that night or the next day and I can suddenly afford twice the meat or a better cut. But I try not to buy fruit and vegetables there because they go bad quicker. Clearance is a tricky isle because a lot of name brand products are still going to be more expensive on clearance than off brands are full price. I'll stop by Walmart on my way home from work a lot, so I do a fair amount of shopping there, and they have extra tags that say how much an item costs per lb or oz, so I go with whatever one is proportionaly cheapest if I know the taste is palatable

When you can't afford name brand food, just buy a bunch of cheap spices and a Crock Pot. You don't have to be a good cook and you can buy cheap cuts of meat and cheap vegetables and stretch your meals out that way. A good cook can make off brand taste pretty good

There generally isn't a discernable difference between quality and price if you shop at different stores that carry different off brands because you can find one of each product at a different store that tastes just as good as (and sometimes better than) the name brand product. Yes some taste like cardboard, but you can shop around or just go with the name brand for that item

• Imma just screen shot this comment so i have a reference for food shopping when i get me own place haha

• @BaileyisDarcy
      Go ahead. I ate a lot of potatoes when I first moved in because they're cheap. Spaghetti is also a good one because you can get a box and a can of sauce for $2 and that can last for four meals and fill you up (just butter and noodles for the last meal if you run out of sauce). Eggs are a cheap source of protein if you can't afford or don't know how to cook meat. I find that fresh vegetables go bad quickly, so I go for the frozen ones when I'm really broke because they keep longer if you don't eat them. Onions, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, apples, and oranges last longer than most other fresh fruits and veggies. Avocados, cucumbers, pears, peaches, and melons go bad more quickly. Banan

• Bananas and zucchini can be turned into breads if they turn brown. Ramen is always a cheap option, but it's not the healthiest, so I try to mix onions, corn, or eggs in when I have it. Buy in bulk when you can. And take all the free food people leave in the break room at work because those Christmas cookies and Taco Bell hot sauce packets sometimes look like a five-star meal. Plan out what you want to eat that week or month before going to the store so you only buy what you need. Take a budget with you and save extra money for later that month rather than spending it on donuts. I usually put all my fruits, vegetables, and bread in the refrigerator to make them last longer. I also usually cook dinner for every night of the week on Sunday so I have a good meal to eat when I get off work and all I have to do is heat it up. PB &J is good to keep for late night snacks and chocolate Pop tarts when you're craving sweets but need something substantial, even better with PB on top

• Sometimes there is a huge difference between quality over price- but there's other things that don't matter! So I guess a mix

• Homebrand.

If the store has its own brand, THAT is usually the cheapest item, and it typically doesn't taste any worse (in some cases, such as Coles icecream, it tastes better).

I dont get the fascination with brand names. there's a cheaper option, RIGHT THERE, and you're buying THAT crap?

When it comes to milk, Coles homebrand (not Woolies cause theyre screwing our farmers over) its 2 bucks a litre, instead of four bucks for 2 litres, and i much prefer it to anything else (other than straight out of the cow. Tastes a little funny when youve been raised on processed milk, but it was good once i got used to it)
    Fruit and vegetables, markets tend to be good for those, but in my experience there isn't really a brand to choose from. At a store just get the pre packaged carrots because theyre cheaper for more. (Or just grow your own)

Meat?
    I haven't bought much meat, dont really do my own cooking yet, but i like the ones with farmers choice written on them, you know that brand is doing good for our farmers. However, with meat being as damn expensive at it is, anytime you need it, just pray for a sale.
    Or go to a butchers. Theyre usually better price for better quality.

Overall?
    I pretty much exclusively go for homebrand. I dont understand the people who think theyre rich enoughto do otherwise.

• Depends on what I'm buying, but I'd say a healthy mix of both.

• Brand name

• Walmart or winco. I don't need to spend $10 on an "organic" Apple.

• depends on what it is. paper goods, household items I usually buy generic. some foods I'll but generic but not all foods

• Asda because the quality is good as well as the low prices. I like the atmosphere in the store too and the staff have good customer service skills. They are always friendly and helpful

• I usually get organic so no choice really

• I usually get organic or the most expensive brand or well known brand. I feel like cheap products are cheap for a reason, and I like to spend the most on food. Hopefully this reduces my visits in future to the doctor :-)

• This will do nothing to avoid doctor visits and do more for bank visits.

How rich ARE you that you can spend all your coin on food?

• @BaileyisDarcy I am not rich, I am working class/poor but I choose to spend all my money on a good place to live and food. That's all that matters to me.

• I just buy whatever lol

• kind of a preference yea

• Depends on what it is, some things I won't compromise on

• When I'm shopping with my own money I do generic brand unless I know something is better as the brand name

• Depending on what I'm buying some generic brands taste better

• It depends on which store my mom decides to shop for groceries.

What Guys Said 6

• Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I usually stick to brand names because I feel more comfortable buying them. I'm sure that most brand name products have the same ingredients as generic ones, but it somehow feels "safer" to stick to brand names. I don't mind that they're a little more expensive. The difference in price isn't that much really.

• Where I shop, there is almost always a difference in price between generic and name brand. Quite often, there is a difference in quality. I choose the middle ground by buying house brand products with which I am familiar. My grocery store has a very good line of house brand products, they are significantly cheaper, and I believe they are manufactured or produced by the name brand companies, so they are virtually identical.

• that which has the best protein/fat ratio. too many foods are being sold with too many shitty fats for the little protein thats inside. most of the time the generic brands have better nutritional value than the popular brands.

• I get my stuff from local farmers. Tho I don't care for that bio-shit that you can get at the supermarket, it's just overpriced crap.

• They taste the same so not really

• not at all