Can Vegetarians eat Caviar?

I know that most Vegetarians eat eggs (unlike Vegans), so I was wondering, can they eat Fish eggs (roe, caviar)?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe some of them
    Vote C
  • I don't know, I'm not a Vegetarian
    Vote D
  • I'll explain in the comment
    Vote E
  • Who cares about Caviar anyway?
    Vote F
  • I'm here just for the free Xper points
    Vote G

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, technically speaking - yes. Ovo-Vegetarians and Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarians can eat them, as well as some Semi-Vegetarians (e. g Pescetarians). Contrary to popular belief, fish are not always killed to get the caviar. There is a process whereby the fish is given a sort of caesarean, eggs removed and the fish are sown up again. There is another process whereby the fish is massaged to release the eggs. Although neither of these methods involves killing the fish, they are just as bad as keeping battery hens. The motivation is to get more eggs per fish (as they spawn again and again). But most Vegetarians never eat it out of ethical reasons.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what kind of vegetarian. If it's an ethical vegetarian, they don't eat caviar because you have to kill a fish in order to get a caviar. If it's a vegetarian for some other reason rather than ethical, then they probably can eat it.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 2

• Some of them probably eat it, just like they eat chicken eggs, duck eggs, turkey eggs, goose eggs etc.

• yes you can

What Girls Said 3

• Yes vegetarians eat everything except for meat. Vegans don't anything at all that comes from an animal. They're more stricter. Unless they're pescatarian (all they eat is fish and no other meat)

• Not if you're an ethical vegetarian

• Comes from a fish so I would think the answer to be NO.