I'm not allergic to peanuts but why did peanut butter make my throat itch?

I used to eat it all the time as a child

31

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know... it sounds like you have a peanut allergy. My older sister developed one as she got older along with a shellfish allergy. I think it's pretty rare to develop it later, but itchy throats (and tingly lips) are really common allergic reactions. I would try it again but make sure your friends are around. ;-)

Most Helpful Girl

• Peanuts are among one of the foods that you can form an allergy to very easily. When I was 9 I formed a peanut allergy that was extremely dangerous to my health, but now, almost 10 years later I can eat them no problem.

I've also had the reverse happen where I i always ate a certain food but now it bothers me.

If you eat a food frequently there's even more of a chance you can form an allergy to it.

It sounds like it could be an allergy, but maybe consider trying it again... with medication on hand.

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 2

• You can still develop an allergy to something you've been eating or using all of your life. It's not uncommon.

You could be developing an allergy or intolerance to peanuts. Your immune system could be mistakenly identifying peanuts as harmful, so is reacting to it. I'd go to the Doctor for advice.

A girl I used to work with was allergic to peanuts , as well as some fruits. She had to carry an epipen with her at all times , in case she came into contact with an allergen, and had anaphylactic shock

• Maybe it was a reaction to something else in peanut butter