Why would a guy become friends with a woman he knows likes him?

He knows I like him, and has given me some odd mixed signals. He started the friendship knowing I liked him, so if he claims he doesn't feel the same, then why bother starting it? Wouldn't it have been kinder to just turn down the friendship? He knew it right from the start, said he doesn't feel the same, but then acts weird and maybe jealous(?) about things and he used to say some stuff that sounded flirty. Now it's just lots of arguments because he twists things around and gets upset then. I am hurt, confused, and frustrated..

BTW, we have a mutual friend who he was totally "in love" with in High School and he shot her down too. Why would a guy do that? We are both shy, but I still don't understand. I know from his internet "personality" (I know him in real life. Have since we were little kids and almost had "a minute" as young teenagers till we were caught doing nothing wrong at all.) that he likes the typical guy "stuff" so it's not that he hates women or anything. I don't get it...

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 2

• idk it sorta sounds like he's comfortable with you because you're OK being his friend. perhaps that's what he needs right now. who knows. I personally know where I am in life right now all I want is a friendship and nothing more. sometimes there are personal things going on in our lives that don't make us emotionally available to have anything more than friendships with those around us. if you can honestly handle being just his friend than who knows what could happen? you could actually become a very good friend of his who he may be able to talk to about what's going on in life. take care and good luck on this one. its ultimately up to you with what you want and do not want in life right now. I hope this helps.

• Selected as most helpful

It's because he doesn't have interest in you or his mutual friend.

Also about starting the friendship, he just wants to establish a friendship with you, not for anything more than that.

• Why would it hurt? The attraction will just wane soon, and friendship is much more important that anythings else. If you'll just see each other as strangers, that would do nothing good, and you will not know each other better.

• Also, wouldn't any guy know that you don't really want to be "friends" with a crush who doesn't feel the same. All it does is hurt..

• Perhaps, he doesn't see themselves spending time together in the future.

• Show Older
  • It's probably some sort of egotistical confidence boast. It makes him feel in control so he uses it as a power trip, and he also might want to keep friends with you so he has a backup plan if the next girl he dates goes south. He doesn't sound like a great guy, I'd say get over him and find someone better.