Guys, Are You Friend-Zoned?

Ever liked a girl so much that you would always be there for her through thick and thin no matter what? You would always be her shoulder to cry on, her rock, her best friend. Guess what? You may be doing those things in the hope that she’ll become romantically inclined toward you, but you’ve long since entered the “Friend Zone,” a cursed place from which no man can escape. Go through the following signs and see if you’ve been friend-zoned.

Don't fail to notice the signs!

There are a number of ways to tell if she is interested in you as more than a friend. These signs are indicators which I do hope you use to stop making the mistakes I did in the past.

1. She calls you her brother. If she has ever called you her brother, then you’re so deep in the friend zone, it’s ridiculous. If a girl sees you as her brother, she does not see you as sexy. If she can call you her brother and you say nothing, she’ll know you don’t want anything more either. You’ll be completely written off into the black hole that is the friend zone.

2. She talks about guys with you, and she is not doing it to make you jealous. If she is genuinely discussing boy problems with you, about how she feels and her dilemmas with other guys you have definitely been friend zoned. Remember, you wanted a shot at this girl, not to be her shrink. Either tell her how you feel or move on, because listening to this kind of chatter is punishment in some countries.

3. She tells you everything on her mind. This doesn’t mean the important stuff only. If she tells you every boring detail about her life, including the clothes she’s thinking of buying, the food she’s craving, etc then she does not see you as a romantic partner. Girls wait it out before spilling everything on their minds to a guy they like.

4. She starts to date someone else. If you guys are going strong as friends, talking every day and hanging out when she starts to date somebody else then you don’t really have a shot at getting out of the friend zone. Its even worse if she tells you about her dates and how she gets butterflies when she sees him. You’re not even on her romantic radar,

5. There is no sexual tension. When you’re close to somebody that you like who likes you back, if even only a little bit, there is always some kind of sexual tension. In the best cases it feels like a magnet and in other cases it gets your heart beating faster a little bit at all the possibilities. If you do not feel any of this with her and she sees no signs of feeling it, its no doubt you’re in the friend zone to stay.

6. She doesn’t flirt with you. A lot of the time, you’ll notice that a lot of girls, even if only your friends will flirt with you occasionally. It’s not hot and strong, but it’s there–cute, flirtatious texts, a little touch here and there, maybe even a kiss on the cheek. If she acts like you’re a girl when you’re together, give up on all hope of it going anywhere.

7. She never dresses up for you. When you go to hang out with girls, they’re usually dressed up, with their hair perfect and their makeup done. If you go to see this girl, and she’s completely free of makeup, with her hair in a bun and in her pajamas, she clearly does not care if you think she’s sexy or not. You may think she is beautiful regardless, but trust us, she does not want you to think she is beautiful–you’re one of her best friends.

8. You chickened out of making a move a long time ago. If when you first met, you both acted completely different towards each other; you were flirty, there was sexual tension and you both even dressed up before hanging out, then you had a chance buddy. But if you didn’t make any move she probably wrote you off forever.

9. She never believes you when you compliment her. A girls never believes her friends when they compliment her. She thinks its just them being nice. Girls value compliments of hot guys, especially the ones they like. If she brushes off your compliments like “that’s what you’re supposed to say”, then you’re in the same pool as her girlfriends.

1) The first indicator is her actions to tell you she likes you.
Always watch what she does first, and ignore her words if they don’t jive with the way she behaves. Here are a short list of “she’s interested” indicators:

She touches you or leans in close
She makes it a point to smell your cologne
She takes you along with her to another bar/dance club
She initiates conversation with you
She asks for your number (but only if she asks before or after giving hers. If she refuses to give you her number, she’s not interested.)
She looks you over (especially glances at your mouth)

2) The next thing you listen to is her words.
What does she say to you? Here’s a list of things that indicate her interest verbally:

She asks a lot of questions about you
She talks about sexual topics (without you initiating them)
She uses very sensual words when describing you
She tells you secrets (indicating trust)

3) This next list is more difficult, since you will have to refine your radar as to what her body language is saying.
It’s much more subtle, and more difficult to read. Again, I always suggest that you make sure to judge her body language only when you have no other evidence to help you out.

Here are some buying indicators:

Occasional glance(s) from far away
Looks at you a few times (flickering glances at your lips)
Holds your gaze for a moment with no words
Looks down, then away
Goes out of her way to laugh with you
Posture changes, looks alert
Covers her mouth or touches her face
Adjusts hair, attire
Faces you
Alert, energetic
Pupils are dilated
Open posture (arms uncrossed)
Remember that your primary indication of interest from any woman is in her behavior.

No matter what she says, if she isn’t DOING the things that a woman that would do who is interested (smiles and talks to you, shows interest, gives you her phone number, etc.) she isn’t REALLY interested.

She’s just trying to not hurt your feelings.

238

Most Helpful Guy

• Very good points here. The problem is that so many "nice guys" just won't take the hint and stick around a lot longer then they should. They mistake their niceness for likeness. Most of these girls are gonna try and be nice though and let them down as gently as they can by saying things like " I just like you as a friend" which is a big mistake because it leaves the "nice guy" thinking there might still be a chance for something and sets unrealistic expectations. The "nice guy" will cling to anything he can that there still is a chance. I look back to my younger years and can respect the women that were up front with me that they didn't like me that way.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just so you guys know girls go through the same thing. I mean I can't speak for every girl but I've been friendzoned and it hurts like crazy. Plus I'm a super committed person and once I've decided to like someone it takes me forever (like years) to move on because I've made the commitment. It SUCKS...

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 37

• All women are shallow gold digging hypocrites. They carry a list of crap they checkoff if they find the guy attractive. But if he's a little overweight, is shy and has no job maybe cause of reasons he's to embarrassed to tell her she will ignore him like a new discovered disease. And before anyone here tells me I'm wrong or that I'm generalizing women as a whole ask yourself when was the last time you dated a guy I described. The difference between male and females is males are actually willing to give any girl a chance even is he knows his chances are slim in the end but with females if your not Prince Charming or a 7+ in looks your fucked.

• Sounds like somebody is sleeping alone again tonight.

• Dude wtf is your problem a lot of us have been in the freind zone dwelling on it isn't going to help you dont need a lot of money especialy if your under 25 looks definetly matter which can be annoying but its not as extreme as your saying, you dont need to look like a fucking model for every girl. Do your best to get in a good exersize routine, get fresh air, try to look after your face, get a good haircut. if all that fails (it probably won't) start selling blow and score some coke girl pune

• @Mate64 Lies stop it the lies!!

• First of all the "friend zone" doesn't even exist. It's just called unrequited attraction. If you are interested in someone but they aren't interested in you, they aren't putting you in some "friend zone" they're just not fucking interested in you and you don't have to stay to be their friend if you don't want to. In other words the other person isn't putting you in some "friend zone", you're doing it yourself.

Second of all it is entirely possible for a relationship to develop from just having been friends. And saying shit like "she probably wrote you off forever." is beyond ridiculous. I don't know where you get your information from but it seems like you've never interacted with other humans in person if you think that's what it's like.

So many of your "points" are just total bullshit even if some of them are true. You say that a girl isn't interested in a guy if she tells him everything on her mind? Then why does this happen in most relationships? I feel like you should get past the point where you don't have to use a fake profile pic before you write things like this.

• I must agree. It really should be as simple as if she doesn't like you, let her be and move onto someone that does. It's nothing personal. A woman also should be more direct in her response to let whatever guy know that she isn't at all interested in him that way, and avoid saying things like "I only like you as a friend" which tends to give those certain "nice guys" a false sense of hope.

• @thecd1979 Yeah both parties should be more direct about what they want. If a person is interested in someone they should just tell the other person that instead of just waiting around something will magically happen, and on the other hand the person on the receiving end should be honest if they know that they would never be interested in the other person romantically.

• Great job on this mytake. This was very well detailed.

• Thanks for creating the take, very nice work done😊
    But now i know that i am totally freindzoned by every girl in the planet

• I haven't been friend-zoned 😂
    That's a fun take girl 😜
    My intentions are crystal clear since day 1 so I don't think any girl would be able to friend zone me :P
    Hail MM 🙈

• There is only ONE reason for a man to stay in the Friendzone with a lady: when he finds her intellect, or finds other attributes she has, interesting enough to maintain a non-sexual friendship.

Any man who hangs out in the Friendzone in the hopes that she will change her mind is wasting his time.

• There are just too many guys that do this though. They try so hard to impress and win over someone that for whatever reason has no romantic interest in them, only to end up frustrated and embarrassed after they finally and awkwardly make a move on her. I've been here and done this myself. I would tell any guy to just move an from that someone who clearly is not interested , save yourself the headaches, there will be other women that will take an interest in you.

• @thecd1979 You are quite correct.

• Ohhhh, yes, I am very often friendzoned. Being a "nice guy" doesn't help anything, either.

• this is a great list, good take

• Good take.

• Tell a woman you like her from the beginning to avoid all the foolishness. Men are too sissy that's why they get friend zoned.

• It's a nice strategy to approach with friendship and mystery. You will almost hit the friendzone, but occasionally you will give glances and hints that you want something more. Ideally you want there to some moment where the girl is about to do something dangerous or will be gone for awhile where you can overreact and act very concerned. On her absence she may think about the guy for a while and debating rather he wants to be more than friends. From that point onward the relationship is near.

• Well that would require men having friends, so no I'm not friend zone

• I've never actually been flat out friend zoned before.

• Nope. I do not even enter the friendzone.

But these signs seem to me like a long shot.

• How do you know you're not in the "FriendZone "?

• @Jen_Jen Because I am not there =P Simple as that.

I do not feel like I am in the friendzone at all. Don't really know how else to describe it.

• I got out of the friendzone and I treated her like shit while I dated her. I treated her bad because she friend zoned me first then dated another guy. She won't fuck with me anymore.

• Nope, never getting friend-zoned again. The solution is to be straight up about your feelings from the get-go, and if she doesn't reciprocate then you move on.

• Exactly! too may guys that don't understand this. It's nothing personal. Direct your time and efforts to someone that does have an interest in you and don't waste your time on those women that don't.

• She won't get naked in front of me so I must be friendzoned.

• It's like an exact science. Get a room and be done with it.

• The best way... is to walk away !! Never ever see / contact her again !!

• No I am not, for I have no friends.

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 1

• 7d

Honestly, if you are a girl's friend in hopes of a romantic relationship to sprout from it, you are actually doing her a disfavor. How would you feel if you found out your friendship with someone was fake?
    Expecting a relationship or sex because you're being the "nice guy" is pretty low and us women can ALWAYS tell.
    Also, if you are being "friendzoned" by every girl on the planet, its not them, its you. We can see your hidden agenda. Women know how the world works and know that life doesn't happen like it does in the movies.
    Besides, a woman is not being mean by only wanting to be your friend. She just don't think of you that way so stop being a little bitch and be a genuine friend.