Why do some guys obsess over their girlfriend's past?

My boyfriend broke up with me. We were together for almost 3 years. 2 and a half of those years were a bit hard, the first six months of the relationship were blissful. He was my first boyfriend and before him I had a friend with benefits, made out with a couple of guys at a bar and was flirty with some guys I knew (like I posted flirty, but friendly messages on their MySpace).

The bad thing is, I live in a small town, and he knows some of those guys. For example, my ex friend with benefits... he actually introduced us! When he asked me about my past and I told him, he judged me on it and became obsessed. He wanted to know every detail. I lied a couple of times and later came clean. Now he thinks I keep lying about it and says he won't be with me until I tell him all the truth.

Well I've told him in broad terms, everything. But not many details. For one, I know he will keep judging me and using the past against me. And also, why do I have to disclose my whole past life to him? Isn't the future what matters? I don't know his whole past nor do I want to.

What is it with wanting to know the past? The relationship is over and I don't think it can work, but honestly? Plus I feel like the bad guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess he feels like the past in the person you are today. He should of let it go. My ex did that to me. He wanted to know every guy I was with and what I did to them, ugh it was a mess. But that's his loss. if he can't let by gones be by gones, then you really don't need to be with him. and yes the future is what should matter, but he doesn't see it that way.