My brother tried to commit suicide yesterday and is in the hospital. How do I act?

What do I say to him when I talk to him? How do I act? We are close but not super close, we love each other but have a hard time expressing it. i... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• Sometimes saying less is more. Choose your words carefully - they might be hard to say. If you're worried about him, tell him that. Say, "I'm worried about you."

If you care about him, if you love him, say that too, "I love you. I care about you, and I want you to be safe."

If you want to give him permission to open up to you, maybe say, "Can you talk about it?" and listen. Sometimes the best way of showing you care about someone, is to listen to them. And who knows? He might have very little to say, or he might have a lot to say, and it will probably mean a lot to him that you listened.

There's ways of showing you care physically too. If you both feel comfortable, you can give him a hug. Or even something as small as touching his hand. I'm sorry; it sounds like both of you have been in some very painful situations. Do what makes you both feel safe. Remember; the love is still there.

• But honestly.. I don't know how to ask that.. like I'm bad at expressing how I feel or what I mean. I don't know what to do.

• Show Older
    • You have been very strong. :) It takes a lot of strength to turn something so terrible around and make it positive. Do you mean, why would your brother try to leave? That's a hard question. And he might still be figuring it out himself as well. But it's not your fault. It's no one's fault.

• I just don't feel like I have been the best sister I can be. I'm not the worst I don't disrespect him. its just I don't know I just wish he didn't do that... I don't know what to do and thank you.