I like this guy for his personality but not his looks. What should I do?

Me and this guy started texting and over about a month I really started to like him. We met once through a friend and I didn't really notice what he... Show More

Most Helpful Girl

• I've said this before and I'll repeat it here. You're not shallow or conceded for not wanting to date someone because they're not attractive to you. It's a stupid stigma that if people don't like fat or ugly people (their opinion of ugly) then they're shallow. That's just not true. There's a point where physical attractiveness is important, whether it's sex or just not being afraid or nervous to hold his hand in public. You want to be proud of your man, looks and personality. The fact that you care about personality is enough proof that you're not shallow or conceded. It's okay to have standards, it's okay that you're just not attracted to certain things. We all have natural inclinations that we can't choose. I don't decide who I find good looking or ugly and I'm not shallow for not wanting to date some one I don't find attractive. You aren't either.

Stay strong, just tell him that you don't think it will work but you do want to remain really close friends because he's a really nice guy and you can talk to him so easily and you could be really close that way. Don't make up bullsh*t excuses like he's in the friend zone or any of that sh*t. If he asks... Well, I've always believed in honesty. And people will probably disagree but I believe that continued lies, like telling him a false reason why you don't like him, will eat away at you and it hurts your soul in a way. Your energies, your chi. Pick your title for it. Just tell him that... Well, he's not your type physically. Say you want to remain friends because of how good a person he is but that you just don't find him physically attractive in a boyfriend way. And if he calls you out on it then tell him what I told you.

It's a stupid ass idea that we should be expected to be willing to date anyone even if they're disgusting and repulsive to us. We shouldn't have to settle because people feel bad about themselves.

• This is such a big help. Thanks so much!

• You're welcome very much. I'm glad I could help.