• Ask
  • myTake

Tips on changing my eating habits?

Ok, so I'm the typical student who eats mostly frozen meals and other highly processed foods. I absolutely hate cooking.For health reasons, I need to change my diet to healthier foods. I'm not planning on making this lifestyle change over night, I'm going to start off cooking one meal a week. This is slightly less intimidating than going all out, to begin with.Do you have any tips or advice you would be willing to share with me? Also, do you have any quick, easy, and cheap recipes you could post here?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Guys Said 0

Be the first guy to share an opinion and earn 1 extra Xper Point!

What Girls Said 1

• This sounds like the younger me, so I'll tell you some details. This sounds weird, but I never cared about cooking until I started watching The Food Network. Not only can you learn a thing or two about how the kitchen works but it's oddly watchable and motivating. In order to eat healthier foods, you have to be proactive. The best advice I ever got was to "fall in love with health food". Meaning, learn as much as you can about it. You can watch cooking shows, go to health supermarkets and explore, read books, articles, etc. Some suggestions are to try something new at the health supermarket - pick up produce you've never tried and see how you feel about it. Health food stores have free food and health magazines in the front, pick those up - they are full of great tips and knowledge. Contemplate getting a job at a health food store, you'll learn a lot. Give yourself learning and educational opportunities. Once you start to learn about it, you will be more interested and excited about the prospects and more inclined to try things, much like watching cooking channels will make you want to experiment in the kitchen. Excitement is key. The thing that shocked me the most was that healthy eating can be really yummy, I would have never believed that, and cooking can be surprisingly easy. Make smoothies, those are super easy to make and delicious - a great way to several fruits in at once. Get a blender. A simple recipe is to go to the frozen food section and pick up frozen fruits for the smoothie (like a berry mix or whatever your favorite fruits are). Dump them in a blender with some milk and a fruit juice (like apple juice) and blend them right up. It tastes fine like that or you can toss in other things based on your nutritional needs, like protein powder, honey, almonds, etc. You can even throw some ice in there if you want it to be more crunchy or slurpee-esque. Just make sure you are only throwing healthy things in there. Experiment with it, it's fun and tasty. Reducing your amount of red meat and fried foods will really help. Explore food substitutes, some of them are surprisingly tasty. For example, instead of mayonnaise, there is a product called veganaise that is shockingly tasty and can be used for the same things. It's kind of pricey but totally worth it. Or you can buy more organic and all-natural foods to detox your body. Even substitute meats can be interesting, such as Quorn chickenless patties.Eat breakfast. In fact, eat five or six times a day (three healthy meals and two healthy snacks in between). Eating this many times (healthy eating that is) will speed up your metabolism and make weight loss more possible. Don't eat until you are full, eat until you are comfortable. Eat less at a one time but more often throughout the day. Exercise. You can do this by finding activities you love like sports or hiking, etc, and making it work for you.Good luck! It's more fun than it sounds. You'll be surprised if you give it a chance.

• Ahh Food Network, I used to watch that all the time. Never made me want to cook though. Thanks for the tips, I don't really eat red meat, and I'm not trying to lose weight but I think your other tips might be somewhat useful.