Woman having trust issues from her past?

Hi, thanks for taking the trouble to read this. I'm dating this woman, this awesome, beautiful woman, who has trust issues due to a failed... Show More

I was thinking of dropping her boyfriend a text or a message on FB to gently ask him to lay off her, is that a good idea?

Most Helpful Opinion

• Well, trust itself is something that develops over time and through your experiences with a person.

When someone has had their trust broken in the past, it makes it a lot more difficult to trust others. It's unfortunate that people often have to "pay for the mistakes" of their partner's previous partners, but its somewhat understandable.

I mean, it's true that you are not her ex-boyfriend, so why should you suffer for the things that he's done?

But on the other hand, she probably thought she could trust him and then found out that she shouldn't have. That kind of experience really brings to light the fact that anyone you trust could potentially break that trust and you have no sure way of knowing.

I don't think there's a simple answer to this, and its definitely not something that will be solved over a short period of time. You have to prove to her that she can trust you, and the only way you do that is by being a caring, honest, trustworthy person. Over time, she'll recognize those traits in you and hopefully be able to relax a little.

Some other things that might help:

1. Don't lie, even about little things. If she catches you in a lie, even if its about something completely unrelated, it might trigger the idea: If he lied about that, what else might he lie about?

2. Talk to her about it more in depth if you haven't already. Let her know that you can tell that she is having a difficult time trusting you and that you understand her apprehension. Let her know that you can relate because you've been cheated on in the past as well, but that its important for the two of you to give each other the benefit of the doubt instead of being in a relationship where you don't trust each other. You might even ask her if there's anything you can do that will help you earn her trust.

But also, I think it's important for you to not let her mistrust to cause you to govern your life in an unreasonable way. Sometimes people with trust issues have unreasonable demands of their partner and expect their partner to cater to their insecurities. For example, some people expect their partner to spend all their free time with them, discourage their partner from hanging out with his/her friends, expect their partner to check in constantly, or want to know where their partner is at all times. That kind of behavior is unfair to you and unhealthy for your relationship. I'm not saying your that your girl does these things, but they're something to keep in mind. If things like this do arise, then you need to sit down with her and have a conversation about it.

• I have the fortune of not being subjected to those kind of demands, neither her nor me put each other under such restraints. I've attempted to get her to open up to me by talking to her, writing a letter but to no avail. I suppose I'll have to try something more drastic, thank you for this great piece of advice.

• How do you go about someone who makes unreasonable demands to cater to insecurities. I am not sure what to do on my situation. Any help?