Why do people always try to justify their actions?

I'm not referring to regular actions like going to a concert or hanging out with people, I mean from doing something wrong like committing a crime or... Show More

Most Helpful Girl

• Great question. :)

Well, there are two types of people who have this mindset; ones who lack conscience and others who are trying to put their conscience to sleep. I will explain. :)

People who lack conscience, which helps us differentiate between what is right and what is wrong, have no problem committing shameful acts. They feel nothing wrong at all and they tend to customize their excuses based upon what they have done. You can hear in the news a guy who raped a girl who was walking alone down the street saying it's the girl's fault because she was walking alone and is dressing provocatively when it's not true. He carries a sick mind on his shoulder but doesn't seem to notice the harm and even if he does it makes him happy that he can make people jump. It is a pleasure in his eyes.

Others do have a conscience but is trying to overlook it. Like a woman who cheats on her husband even though she knows it is wrong. She will give you a million excuses for people to sympathesize and feel sorry for her. Such people are looking for a way to put their conscience to sleep. As you know conscience might be limiting. Our sense of right and wrong may keep us from doing a lot of things. A lot of people do bad things, and they know it's wrong, and are trying to justify their actions to overcome that persistent voice of conscience telling them "It's wrong!". It's like they are fighting with that inner voice.

Asker upvoted
    • if there was more people like you I swear..

• Thank you. :) This means a lot to me. :)

• your welcome ^^